Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblealtarego
New Spore Germination Tek
    #593601 - 03/30/02 11:21 AM (22 years, 4 days ago)

I'd like to make another plug for Rush Wayne's new updated Peroxide Manual vII (and for volume I). These are books that no serious cultivator should do without, even if she doesn't use peroxide in her cultures (both books are chock full of useful methods that are universally useful.)

Check it out at:
http://members.aol.com/PeroxyMan/index.html

Here's one such method that I've just tried. It involves presoaking cardboard discs (made with a hole punch and the caardboard back of a looseleaf pad) in a weakly nutritive medium (malt extract-yeast, or flat beer both work nicely), then placing them in small tubes and sterilzing them for 20min/15psi.

The discs are then drawn lightly (with flame-sterilized tweezers) across a spore print, replaced in the tubes, and left to incubate.

Within a week or so, the spores have germinated, and look like this:

Close-up:

(B+, Pan Cyan, Pan Trop, Pan Cam, Ps. Tampanensis, BTW)

Once the discs are colonized, they are moved to petri dishes and grown out.

The advantages of this method are that the discs/tubes are easy to sterilize and keep sterile, they store easily and don't use up any petri dishes in the germination phase, and by the time you get the cultures on agar, they have dikaryotized and should grow quickly. In addition, extra discs can be left in the tubes and stored cold for future use (due to the relatively low amount of nutrients in the discs, the cultures will keep for months or longer.)

- AE

Edited by altarego (03/30/02 11:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: New Spore Germination Tek [Re: altarego]
    #593618 - 03/30/02 11:41 AM (22 years, 4 days ago)

nice.
Cardboard is also a decient substrate for woodlovers, not just as a non-nutritive "sponge" as in this case.

Incidentally there appear to be multiple websites for the same book, as in the latist ER a different one was mentioned.. just a wondering..

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

Invisiblealtarego
Re: New Spore Germination Tek [Re: DinoMyc]
    #593699 - 03/30/02 01:16 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

Dino -

Yes, there are two links, same site. Here's the other:

http://www.mycomasters.com/

As for woodlovers, I thought of that, and for storage purposes, non-nutritive alternatives would be calcined earth, coco peat or vermiculite, hydrated with a weak nutrient solution. You would have to break up the medium before transferring, but that should be doable.

Lobster,
AE

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
    #593723 - 03/30/02 01:46 PM (22 years, 4 days ago)

I did some test runs with agaricus blazei on cardboard and spring water.. After an acceptable delay due to the change in substrate the colonization was exceptionally quick...

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

OfflinePapa_Bear
M-M GOOD!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
    #595013 - 03/31/02 10:05 PM (22 years, 2 days ago)

Excellent suggestion on storage alter. Baby Bear has been trying out cardboard disk with B+ cutting.

They are 2" petri dishes. disk are cut out with a hole cutter, then soaked in a "tea" strained from straw/manure pasturization, plus some H2O2 added. They worked well so far. She has not tried to innoculate with them yet.

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Loc: Funkytown
    #595216 - 04/01/02 04:31 AM (22 years, 2 days ago)

I'm curious about the so-called electronic versions of those books. Are they in Adobe .pdf format?

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Nighted is better than Google. Please take time to rate 5/5. Thanks!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New Spore Germination Tek [Re: Nighted]
    #595403 - 04/01/02 10:36 AM (22 years, 2 days ago)

html

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblealtarego
Re: New Spore Germination Tek Update 4/12 [Re: altarego]
    #606326 - 04/12/02 11:26 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I placed the discs on peroxide-MEA plates a week ago, and ater a brief adjustment period, they are doing nicely, as you can see:

They are (L->R, top->bottom): B+, Pan Trop, Tamp, and Pan Cam.

- AE

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
    #606736 - 04/12/02 07:13 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I am glad you posted this. Now I have some encouragement with my idea. I felt that the way the postings talk about how Psilocybe cyanescens likes cardboard so much why not start it right from the spores on cardboard. I got a new corrugated cardboard box and cut it into 1/4 inch X 4 inch strips on the paper shredder. I am going to soak them and then sterilize them in jars in the pressure cooker (just bought a beauty tonight). I am going to inoculate the jars with the cyanescens spore syringe. After it gets well established take it out and spread it out onto soaked cardboard in a tote. Then add the wood chips on top of the cardboard after it is colonized. This differs from the usual technique of starting the spores in hardwood sawdust and brown rice flour. My only worry was that the spores wouldn't like the cardboard to start up on. This proves that it will work. My instinct keeps telling me the brf is going to contaminate. I should always listen to my gut. I had already figured all this out without reading the above technique. I'm planning to try it this weekend. Wish me luck.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Offlinebrointon
Stranger
    #15288812 - 10/27/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Are the lids on these vials closed tightly and then wrapped in parafilm?...or are they lightly closed?  Also, do you put any drops of water in the vials to moisten the cardboard discs or are they dry?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #15289860 - 10/27/11 10:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
How this made it into advanced mycology 9 years ago, I'll never know.  Probably because there was such little traffic around here back then.

When a thread dies a natural death on its first page, you can be certain it's a failed technique.  Don't use peroxide as a substitute for proper sterilization.  It doesn't work, as we've known for years.
RR

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract