Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
somewhat of a stupid question about casing
    #1528604 - 05/07/03 09:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

ok... i searched for this but i didnt really find anything helpful... mostly threads that involved flamming or had nothing to do with what i was asking. and also, i cant really turn this into a searchable question i guess. if this pisses anybody off im sorry... i have 1/2 pint jars and two of them are about ready to be cased, however i should (according to the guide im following) have 3 jars to case at one time. im using a shoebox sized container to case them in... the bottom layer is gong to be a 1:1 ratio of soil and vermiculite (correct ammount of water added as well). the next layer will be my little pieces of myclium, and the top will be moistened soil. im not sure if this is going to do wonders, but its my first time attempting shroom cultivation, and im trying out various ways of growing them... this is just the first ive decided to try. for those of you who may know... would it be ok to just case the two jars that are almost done rather than three. i have a third that is further along than the others, but it is not completely innoculated. it has myclium down each side where i injected the spores about an inch and a half wide going fro mthe top to the bottom of the jar. could i use this or is it too young yet? very stupid question, but im new and paraniod about what im doing hah... so make fun of me if you feel to do so. anyway, my main question is can i case the two that are almost complete and will it be ok? will it slow the process on me? will it ruin the process on me?
thanks very much and again im sorry if i pissed anybody off.

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten
Re: somewhat of a stupid question about casing [Re: Edge]
    #1528653 - 05/07/03 09:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

some bum wandered thru my house and looked at ur post
he doesnt know everything its just his 2 cents
this is what he suggested "dont birth that 3rd jar if its not fully  colonized by the time you need to case it. 2 jars will work, it will simply take a bit longer to colonize (theoretically it would grow at about 2/3rds the rate of 3 jars would) but anyways, yes this would work. the drawback is that the longer it takes for mycelium to colonize, the greater the risk of contamination.
Another idea would be to simply use 2/3rds the amount of your bottom verm/soil and a normal amount of top casing layer. ive never heard of casing with dirt, it doesnt seem that it would hold moisture as well as other casings. But in reality, considering you are using a shoe sized container, I would think that two 1/2 pints would colonize just fine. Also, if you're able to, you could take your 2 fully colonized jars and put them in sterile ziplock bags, then pop em in the refridgerator. this will stop growth and you can wait for your third one to finish"  :wink: 

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

Edited by distortion (05/07/03 09:34 PM)

OfflineEdge
I like plants

Loc: Machu Pichu
Re: somewhat of a stupid question about casing [Re: distortion]
    #1528744 - 05/07/03 09:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thanks man, maybe ill try that, we'll see how things go. i dunno im new and i just want shrooms... this takes so... much... patience. oh well, its something i need to practice anyway. im not using everyday regular dirt fomr the backyard... its potting soil to be exact. i also added a tbsp. of honey to my water when i was making my mixture of vermiculite and brown rice flour for my jars... dont know if that would matter or not. but like i said, im gonna try different ways cus im new... so if at first you dont succeed, try try again.

and contamination sucks dick. about 7 of the 24 jars i have are contaminated... oh well. thanks for your suggestions!

--------------------
Check Out My "A Report w/ pics and links--FAE, RH, Casings, Cakes, Polyfil, And A Simple Setup And More!"

"For every action there is a reaction; and a Paykie reaction, is quite a fuckin thing"
--Turkish of Snatch

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
Re: somewhat of a stupid question about casing [Re: Edge]
    #1529524 - 05/08/03 02:11 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If you added honey to your jars, that means they have more than the usual amount of carbs to consume. Shrooms go for the sugar first and then for the starches. Jars + honey should incubate a little longer than the usual fully colonized in order to give the mycelium time to digest the starch. If the spawn still contains a lot of starch when you case, the contams will go wild. I would say, wait for all three jars to fully colonize before you case.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation