Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Bird Feeders
    #1528246 - 05/07/03 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone else here have any bird feeders in your back yard? I love having birds around, gives me a sense of peace or something, I don't know. I live in the city, but I still have two feeders on my patio deck. One is a big ass tube feeder in a cage to keep squirrels out, it has sunflower, peanut chunks, corn, safflower, and millet in it. The other is a screened finch feeder that just has thistle in it. I also have a suet feeder hanging off of the big tube feeder.

All of this good bird food draws all sorts of cool birds. I get many types of finches, sparrows, cardinals, mourning doves, piggies, starlings, chicadees, woodpeckers, and a few others. Sometimes a kestrel will swoop down and try to pick off one of the birds at the feeders, but it hasn't gotten any yet. Anyone else into watching birds?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Bird Feeders [Re: superpimp]
    #1530414 - 05/08/03 12:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have a couple off my second story balcony. Nice to see the little peeps munching on the seed. The only thing that annoys me are the sparrows. I wish I could keep them away.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
    #1530477 - 05/08/03 12:50 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have got tons of birds in my yard regardless of feeders. Squirrels too. Last weekend I visited with my grandparents and my grandfather gave me a birdhouse he had made. I don't have the necessary nails to install it yet. I'm curious which type of bird will claim it.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Bird Feeders [Re: debianlinux]
    #1530538 - 05/08/03 01:20 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

heh damn squirells get into my feaeder. I give em a love tap with my BB gun, but the bastards always come back.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Bird Feeders [Re: baraka]
    #1530596 - 05/08/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

the solution to this is to either run a line (clothesline?) from one tree/post to another and hanmg the feeder in the middle or to use the same line to suspend the feeder from a high branch hanging down far enough the squirrel won't try to jump into it.

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

#1531141 - 05/08/03 04:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I get a few birds at my feeders that I can't ID from my National Audobon book. Anyone know about some good bird websites with pics.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1531379 - 05/08/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I had a go with a bird feeder in my yard, but there are so damn many flying rats (pidgeons) in my area, it was hopeless. I could shoot pidgeons for hours at a time, but it never thinned the herd. So I gave up. Still shoot the bastards when they try to steal dog food from my mutts. I like just about every other bird around, but pidgeons are the scum of the earth.

/end rant

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
Re: Bird Feeders [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1531483 - 05/08/03 06:04 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have one bird feeder but it feeds more squirrels than birds, I don't really care because squirrels are cool to watch as well. I wish I lived somewhere with more space, I'd have several bird feeders, a bird bath, the whole nine yards, I love watching wildlife.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Re: Bird Feeders [Re: AislingGheal]
    #1531598 - 05/08/03 06:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have a cage around my feeder that keeps the squirrels out. It's fun to watch them try to find a way in, but they never do. Only small birds like finches, sparrow, titmice, and chickadees can get inside of it, but the larger birds can still eat all of the seed that falls to the ground, and plenty of seed does.

OfflineAislingGheal
A wave on the ocean
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Northern Ohio
    #1532235 - 05/08/03 10:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I'm gonna have get that thing you've got pictured it looks like it would do the trick. One feeder for birds and one for squirrels, thats about all I have room for.

--------------------

"I hate having to pick between the lesser of two evils. But I'm glad Obama was elected. McCain was another war monger. I'd rather deal with our country going into debt than trying to take on afghanistan...oh wait FUCK!" - Fungus_tao

InvisibleMorphrying
Innocent as Hell
Loc: seated
    #1532255 - 05/08/03 10:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Finches and 2 pairs of mourning doves and a squirrel who I give birdseed to on the ground...

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Bird Feeders [Re: Morphrying]
    #1533821 - 05/09/03 07:20 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah i have 2 feeders like that one superpimp, plus a couple without the mesh screen.

When i first moved here the nuts and seed hung around for so long they oftern rotted, now ive been here a few years i need to fill them up every few days theres so many birds visiting them.
I have a sparrow hawk that i have seen twice picking of collard doves from the feeders.Just a quick swoop through and a few feathers drifting slowly to the ground.Fast fucker.
One is out side my back door and the other night i had some friends over shrooming, with the beer just outdside the back door.
A friend went to get a beer and came running back in screaming about a huge ginger rat lol.
Seems when he went out for a beer he turned around, and as the feeder is hanging from a pole from the wall around head hight, was met by the sight of 4 fat rat's stealing nuts lol.

Traps are set :-) gun is out of air

--------------------

Edited by Paid (05/09/03 07:22 AM)

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Re: Bird Feeders [Re: Paid]
    #1534891 - 05/09/03 04:23 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You should hang up some owl houses to get some owls on your property. Those mean bastards will take care of your rat problem. I can't get any owls here in the city, but I do have a bat house that has about 30 bats living in it. They take care of my moquitos and moths so I can sit out on my deck on nice summer nights in peace.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Community >> The Pub