Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic)
    #1526451 - 05/07/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It seems to me that modern man from roughly the 1940's until today, has been suffering from an extreme case of HEDONISM. Some people consider hedonism to be a valid philosophy. I consider it to be a valid disease. One that has become so integrated into modern life, that nobody notices it and thus, they seek no treatment for it.

The concept of "Do what feels good and who cares about everything else." Is the most immature 'philosophy' anybody could choose to live by. I am not against having a good time... I am against indulgent, self-fulfilling behaviour.

Spoiled by a tangled web of entertainment and sensory overstimulation, our addiction to a "comfortable, feel good lifestyle" is causing many of us to turn away from our true nature as human beings, which is simply to grow and learn.

So does anyone think that this age of hedonism will come to an end? Or will it BE our end? Are we going to consume ourselves into non-existence, or will we learn to be fulfilled with the simple necessities of maintaining our human vessel?

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: Amnesiac]
    #1526472 - 05/07/03 12:14 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It will be one of the two. I know that everyone seems to sense a 'change' not that there is one, but that they want one. I for one want one, and can honestly say I think there will be one. I see people changing for the best, and showing thier true nature as human beings. There have always been those real people who have helped others find the way, but it seems as though more and more of my closed minded friends, and strangers are starting to see the truth. I think its our mission to help show people the way though.

I hope for the best. Ill see you on the other side :]

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1526482 - 05/07/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

From the '40's?! Ever heard of the "Roaring" '20s? Ancient Greek and Roman orgies? Pleasure seeking has been going on for as long as man has been alive - there is nothing really new happening.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: Swami]
    #1526511 - 05/07/03 12:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Of course it's existed from time to time in most cultures, since thousands of years ago... But from what I can observe, it has been on a drastic rise since around the 1940's. It began to rise at the dawn of the industrial age, but it became a social epidemic towards the middle of the century.

Hedonism is not new, it is just becoming a greater threat to our overall success as a supposedly "intelligent" race.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1526536 - 05/07/03 12:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hedonism is not new, it is just becoming a greater threat to our overall success as a supposedly "intelligent" race.

Neighbor A quietly reads a philosophy book and has a bowl of plain rice.

Neighbor B has a companion over for S& M and anal sex while listening to music after smoking a joint and drinking a bottle of wine. The curtains are drawn, the music not overly loud and no one drives home until the following morning.

How does Neighbor B's night time activity threaten society's "success"?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

#1526579 - 05/07/03 12:53 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hedonism wouldn't be a problem if everyone realized we are all one.

OfflineAmnesiac

#1526585 - 05/07/03 12:56 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, firstly, to clarify, I am not saying that I am against Neighbour B's behaviour. He has the freedom to do what he chooses, but for his own good, he should practice these things in moderation.

I think you are missing my point, I don't blame you, I don't have enough time or mental clarity at the moment to fully express what I am trying to say.

When you simplify it to 2 neighbours, it seems harmless. That example is just a microcosm of the larger global situation, particularly in westernized countries. I am not condemning pleasurable activities, only indulgence in them. Indulgence in empty physical pleasures, temporary gratification through stimulation of the senses practiced on a more-that-regular basis causes harm to society as a whole, because it causes harm to the individual. Society is composed of individuals, and so the greater whole of humanity is slowed down in terms of personal development and growth due to a lack of attention paid to those very important areas of our experience in this life.

Those who practice excessive hedonism also very often blow all of their time on consumption of entertainment and junk food, as well as drugs (the BAD drugs!) and meaningless sex.

If an individual wants to contribute to the larger growth of the human race of which we are all a part, he should focus on self-discovery and helping others discover themselves, the universe we live in, and the many levels of consciousness to be explored.

Essentially, more and more people this century have been using a frightening majority of their free time for the pursuit of meaningless distractions.

--------------------

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
    #1526593 - 05/07/03 12:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

How does Neighbor B's night time activity threaten society's "success"?

Neigbor A is learning, expanding his mind, and increasing the probability of enlightenment, evolution of mind, and his ability to contribute to the human race.

Neigbor B is doing none of the above, he is simply having a good time, which is fun and good for the here and now, but is in no way progressive.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: thestringphish]
    #1526601 - 05/07/03 01:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You've got it stringphish.

--------------------

Anonymous

#1526603 - 05/07/03 01:02 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It doesn't.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: ]
    #1526615 - 05/07/03 01:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'd agree.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1526870 - 05/07/03 06:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think although there's a lot of hedonism now. It really has been around longer than you think. Everyone always believes their time in history is the worst or the best for whatever reason. I don't think this century has been any more hedonistic than previous ones. I thought the Greeks invented the orgy? They also had Socrates and Plato. Every generation has it's ups and downs. Neither of which is going to be enough to throw the 'cosmic balance' out of order. Certainly, we are much less hedonistic now, than in the 60's.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineAmnesiac

Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: bert]
    #1527282 - 05/07/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think so.
I think the spike in technological development is primarily responsible for the recent jump in indulgent behaviour. People today are indulging in mindless video games, an increasing number of satellite TV channels, a whole new line of pharmaceutical drugs that people take at the slightest sign of pain, or if a greedy doctor diagnoses you with some irrelevant condition with a fancy name so that he can get his piece of the pharmaceutical industry's profit.

I'd say the worst problem is electronic entertainment. This whole cellphone culture that everyone has become obsessed with, satellite TV with hundreds of channels to numb your mind, and video games. TV and video games are being used by parents as a babysitter because they are too lazy or occupied with work or meaningless activities to actually parent their children, and so the kids glue themselves to the television where the parents are sure they'll stay for as long as they're allowed to.

Many of us are being lost to this lifestyle of laziness and apathy through empty-pleasure-seeking, but for the rest of us, I'm glad we can still communicate!

--------------------

OfflineSombie
Moonrock eater

Loc: Stafford, Virginia
    #1527652 - 05/07/03 01:17 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Those who practice excessive hedonism also very often blow all of their time on consumption of entertainment and junk food, as well as drugs (the BAD drugs!) and meaningless sex.

There are no "bad" drugs, no drug thinks "I am bad, I shall kill this person" it is the actions of the indivdual person that dooms him or herself.

--------------------
"America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable." - Hunter S Thompson

Check out Agio

Follow my NFL Blog

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: The Age of Hedonism (An Overlooked Epidemic) [Re: Sombie]
    #1527728 - 05/07/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, but how often does crack lead to spiritual development or enlightenment?

Mabey the drugs themselves are not bad, but some of them are not hellping anyone either.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

Edited by thestringphish (05/07/03 01:41 PM)

Anonymous

#1528821 - 05/07/03 08:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

There may be no "bad" drugs but you'd be foolish to say that certain drugs aren't much more likely to cause severe damage, relatively speaking of course.

OfflineAmnesiac

#1528863 - 05/07/03 08:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

There are no "bad" drugs, no drug thinks "I am bad, I shall kill this person" it is the actions of the indivdual person that dooms him or herself.

Please don't avoid the point of what I am trying to express, and please don't stray off topic for the sake of looking to "correct" me in some way. I am sure you know what I meant.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom