Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Straw growing from my casing
    #1527524 - 05/07/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I posted this in general cultivation without luck. Its been a few days now, and Ive forgotten about it. When i came back from my road trip for a few days I had a few sprouts popping up from my straw casing... I picked them off, then went ahead and cased it with coir/ground vermiculite. Today the casing layer is colonizing slowly, but a couple more straw grass like things popped up. I heard that straw seeds are a good source of contam, but i see nothing of the sort, is straw growing a bad thing, or just the way of hte natural cycle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
Re: Straw growing from my casing [Re: tak_old]
    #1527566 - 05/07/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

first of all, straw and hay are two different things. straw is what is left after grains have been harvested; its bright yellow, rough and dry. Hay is more akin to grass and is usually green(ish), not coarse, and not dry. Straw is what everyone uses, but some supplement their substrate with hay. With hay, I belive stamets says to not use more than 20% (not sure about this %) hay if used at all because it IS contaminant prone.

If your using either one or the other (which is likely b/c thats how you buy it), you are probably using straw. you probably wouldnt have a fully colonized, uncontaminated substrate if you were using hay. About the straw popping up, my foaf has had that happen on occasion as the mycelleum grows up through the casing. dont worry about it, just make sure you pick out exposed straw, as straw is also prone to contaminants (less so than hay) when it is exposed.
Hope this helps. -MM

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Straw growing from my casing [Re: tak_old]
    #1527612 - 05/07/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Are you trying to say that the fresh grass is growing trough your casing?
If you're growing outdoors then that's OK but if you're growing indoors then it means that you didn't pasteurize substrate and you'll very likely get contamns.

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Straw growing from my casing [Re: zeronio]
    #1528441 - 05/07/03 06:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Its indoors, yes. It is also straw. I pasturized it for an hour and 15 mins at about 172. It has never happend in any other attempts, just this one. Weird.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix