Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
casing concerns
    #1526400 - 05/06/03 11:53 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

so my friend is really wanting to try casing soon (probably the verm/coir/limestone tek). he usually uses these "mycobags" because sterility is a concern and he also does not always have the resources/time to follow the PFtek correctly.

anyhow, a casing needs to become sterilized (?). he once thought that it wouldn't contaminate since it is non-nutritive, but now he believes otherwise. regardless, he would like to know how imperative it is that the casing mix be sterilized. and, if so, what are the best methods other than a PC - perhaps a run through the microwave for 10 minutes?
as soon as the casing is applied to the substrate though, it will be exposed to the contaminated air so what's the point in sterilizing? he seems to be paranoid since it is his first casing attempt and has not yet had to deal with sterilization issues.

he told me he read everythign in the shroomery FAQ and that it certainly helped a lot, but he still would like to understand more thoroughly the risks involved in the casing procedure and hopefully he can get some feedback from experienced forum members to encourage him to not be afraid and to continue on with the casing project. on his behalf, i graciously thank every one of you who is kind enough to offer him comments/suggestions/imput. also, thanks for reading through this. peace to all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing concerns [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1526454 - 05/07/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Wear a mask....spray the air with Lysol.

And have at it.

60/40 Verm and Coco Coir Casing Tek

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: casing concerns [Re: Roadkill]
    #1526503 - 05/07/03 12:26 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

now what kind of lysol are we talking about here? since you said "spray," im assuming it's that kind that some people keep in their bathrooms?
however, in microbiology labs, i have used something more along the lines of industrial-strength liquid lysol to prevent e. coli from spreading. but, that shit cannot be sprayed - it's only good for cleaning surfaces.
oh, and as for the mask, should my friend get one of those dust masks, or would wrapping a household cloth around his face suffice? thanks!

Invisiblewoodrow
journeyman
    #1526792 - 05/07/03 03:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

No! Casing should not be sterilized in a PC. Sterilizing kills beneficial bacteria that help the mycelium digest the substrate and repel contams and you are right about the mold spores. They can't be avoided. You only need to Pasteurize the casing which means: heat it to near boiling. Pasteurizing kills the molds, the bugs, and the weed seeds. That is all you need. A microwave is fine. Take a hint from nature. Shrooms grow on cow pies and how sterile is that? Just make sure your spawn is well colonized and don't mix your casing material too wet. If it is too dry, you can mist it with water later. A healthy mycelium will fight off contams.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: casing concerns [Re: woodrow]
    #1526868 - 05/07/03 06:10 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

No! Casing should not be sterilized in a PC. Sterilizing kills beneficial bacteria that help the mycelium digest the substrate and repel contams and you are right about the mold spores. They can't be avoided. You only need to Pasteurize the casing which means: heat it to near boiling. Pasteurizing kills the molds, the bugs, and the weed seeds. That is all you need. A microwave is fine. Take a hint from nature. Shrooms grow on cow pies and how sterile is that? Just make sure your spawn is well colonized and don't mix your casing material too wet. If it is too dry, you can mist it with water later. A healthy mycelium will fight off contams.

interesting. i didn't know that this was necessary for cubensis. can anyone second this from woodrow?

--------------------
buh

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: casing concerns [Re: shirley knott]
    #1527110 - 05/07/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i've definitely been reading a lot about the need to nuke/bake/pasteurize the casing prior to applying it. before that, i had been under the impression that casing *couldn't* get contaminated since it lacks nutrients (as far as i know) for the fuckers (contams) to live off of.
shirley knott, are you suggesting that this procedure is unnecessary?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1527210 - 05/07/03 10:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

no, i just wondered about what woodrow said regarding a sterilised casing layer. look at THIS >< from the faqs.

I've seen some very good posts from woodrow, and the faq is by no means infallible, so i just wondered if someone else could comment on this.

--------------------
buh

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: casing concerns [Re: shirley knott]
    #1527226 - 05/07/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not sure if it requires sterilization or not.  I usually add more water than is called for, then put into a large cake pan, cover TIGHTLY with aluminum foil, and bake at 300 degrees for about five hours.

works for me :wink:

Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Offlinedankhead420
I have the keyto escapereality

Loc: going to hell in bucket
Re: casing concerns [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1527241 - 05/07/03 10:41 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i just put my casing material 50/50 + a hint of lime in the microwave for only 30 sec or so and so far my casings never get contams

--------------------
trippin with little baby jesus

Offlinebansheee
Novice

Loc: where its sunny
Re: casing concerns [Re: dankhead420]
    #1527430 - 05/07/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

A casing has no beneficial nutrients so sterilizing is a good idea. It gets rid of any spores that might be in the bag that could take over the cakes although not likely. Nuke it for 5 mins and your set. A 50/50+ seems to work great as a FOAF has told be so.

--------------------
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens. - Jimi Hendrix

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: casing concerns [Re: bansheee]
    #1527863 - 05/07/03 02:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wow, this sounds good. my friend wants to follow roughly the 60/40 (or 50/50) verm and coir with calcium shell. so i guess it doesn't need any elaborate procedures then... nice. feel free to keep the post going, but i wanted to say thanks for all of you who have provided imput thus far! peace.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale