Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShockey
#shrooms

Loc: Utah
New Find help on ID.
    #1525565 - 05/06/03 09:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hey guys, been a while. I found a few new mushrooms
I found them in a mountain stream path. with no water. shortly after it rained.
Under the leaves was decayed wood and debris. the ones i found Have a white stem. and light brown to almost white gills. The cap is brown to orange. . The caps are about 1 inch diamiter or so. The stems are hollow and couldnt see any blueing.

Bearly took pics. hope you can Help me with ID

I was thinking they MAY be blue foot or psilocybe Caerulipes. Cause i fouind them in the same spot they kinda look like em. I HAVE not finished Spore prints yet. But i will have them up shortly.

--------------------
The sun and moon will Many a time rise and set.
And there are many decisions in life.
Some are wrong Some are right.
But like the sun and moon It will always go on.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: Shockey]
    #1525659 - 05/06/03 10:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'd guess that they could possibly be some sort of Psathyrella.

I've seen those around, but, I never picked and ID'ed them. Im pretty positive that they are unactive.

OfflineShockey
#shrooms

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: angryshroom]
    #1525921 - 05/06/03 11:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well i took spore prints.. waited a few hours and checked half of them. Hardly any spore prints exept for one... and it looks to be dark purple with some brown . Im wating for more mature prints. peace.

--------------------

OfflineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan
    #1526012 - 05/06/03 11:41 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

hmm, i think they look like some sort of nematoloma or stropharia

--------------------

OfflineShockey
#shrooms

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1526121 - 05/07/03 12:10 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Do you guys Think it would be Dangerous To eat these mushrooms? Because from all the information i have gatherd from my two books Psilocybin Mushrooms of the world. And Nationa audubon Society FGTM. I Have a 98% chance that they are what i think they are. The other 2% is that they dont brse blue.. But The blueing is variable.. and when i found the pan subs in my town. THey wasnt very powerfull at all.. they where acually below weak. But I do belive these are Psilocybe Caerulipes. Because everything I have read in my two books. Are accurate. and have helped me Id these mushrooms Very well and nothing else matches the same. So Peace.

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1526297 - 05/07/03 01:09 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

i thought Psilocybe Caerulipes bruised blue real easy? isnt it the "landslide mushroom"? anyways i dont think they P. Caerulipes. id probly go with Psathyrella like angry said. but dont eat them until you have some of the resident experts opinions. then only eat a little just incase. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineShockey
#shrooms

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: blaze2]
    #1526331 - 05/07/03 01:22 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

In both the books i read.  They say brusing takes time.  and even if they bruse... some do some dont.  it said its variable.  so some dont here in utah ive come to find noon of the mushrooms that are active have brused blue including liberty caps.  So its not so uncommon for brusing mushrooms to not bruse blue i guess.

Oh. and I am the resident expert :wink: small town lots of druggies few who know how to use the drugs. or how to tell whats what. most people here smoke it if it looks like it. so not alot of people around here are so into mushrooms as i.  Peace.

--------------------

Edited by Shockey (05/07/03 01:23 AM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1526421 - 05/07/03 01:59 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

At first glance I would go along with the guess that those are Psathyrellas of some sort.

You should keep in mind that you're comparing your specimens to a very small subset of the mushrooms they could be. If they're Psathyrellas, there are more than 400 species of that genus in North America. My copy of Audubon lists a whopping 12 of those, and some of those are actually synonyms for species currently placed in other genera. I don't have a copy of the Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World, but I will guess that it isn't a very good reference to the genus Psathyrella. The vast majority of the Psathyrellas are unknown with regard to edibility or toxicity.

So how much risk is there really? I am unaware of any fatalities involving Psathyrellas, so the odds of your dying are probably not high. Realistically your probable risk is that you might end up spending the evening vomiting and having severe diarrhea, potentially bad enough to require an emergency room visit.

Consider also that the toxicity of Cortinarius orellanus, which is lethal in some cases, was not discovered until 1952. Is it likely that you will discover a new lethal mushroom? No, it's very unlikely. Is it worth the risk? In the end, it's your life. Nobody here can prevent you from eating them if that's what you've decided to do.

If you want to play guinea pig for science, here's a suggestion. Take your specimens to a nearby university and get them identified accurately by a professional mycologist. They will keep voucher specimens so that the ID can be verified later. Then eat a small amount (assuming they didn't identify them as something already known to be poisonous). If you don't get sick you can try a larger amount later. Report back to the mycologist the results of your edibility experiment. We will have more data on the edibility of that species than we did beforehand. The real trick here is making sure we know exactly which species you're trying. If an accurate record isn't made then your trying them doesn't let anybody know anything new.

If you want confirmation that they're some sort of Psilocybe, wait and see if we can get a response in this thread from mjshroomer. His knowledge of that genus is impressive, and if he says they're Psilocybe such-and-such then you can probably bet they are. If he says they're not, then don't waste your time eating them. You might try IMing him to see if he wants to take a look at this thread.

Either way, those are interesting specimens, and not that bad photographs. They at least show the sorts of details we want to see for identification.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1527213 - 05/07/03 12:23 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

let me see here....

on one side of the scale we have death

on the other side of the scale we have getting high

and in beween there are all sorts of possibilities....

i think I would drink a 12-pack or smoke a bowl until I was completely sure.....and i would not leave it to a book to make that decision....

but then again.....there is something about death that scares me.

btw.....i have asked the same question you are asking, but never wanted to trip hard enough to risk my life. trust me though, you will know when it bruises blue and you will know when it is active. when i found my first active...there was no doubt in my mind what it was...and after the fact.....i laughed at myself at all the times i would find a shroom and bend it, break it, smash it, pinch it, etc trying to see if it would bruise blue....hell....i would make myself think it was bruising blue even when it wasn't.

when i found that first active....just barely handling it cause it to scream blue.

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

OfflineShockey
#shrooms

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: subterranean]
    #1527490 - 05/07/03 02:21 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Well, Thanks for your guys advice.  Because I was thinking of cooking them because i made my final thought when i looked a few hundred sites. and they all said. that the stem of Psathyrellas is hollow just like mine and are very brittle just like mine... So I came to the conclusion they are Psathyrellas.  And was planning to see how good they tasted in a meal..

And guys. I'm NOT all about getting high.  I like to hunt for all types of mushrooms.  Take a spore print and save it.  Put a name on it and keep it.  I have a collection of about 6 different mushrooms i have collected.  Only one is active. 2 poison the other 3 i tried to eat.  the  Psathyrellas Do not taste good so i threw them out.  :frown:  I was hopen they at least tasted good for eating. 

Oh well.  Thanks guys for your input.  And sorry if i was being one faced about this.  I was so sure i found what I did.  And now i know my mistake.  And it will not happen again.  Sorry guys if i Did not listen to you at first.  But now i do. 

The only reason i was having a hard time believing you is because last time i found active mushrooms everyone doubted me on this forum.  Pan subs.  I found a shit load last year.  posted up here and all i got was foienssi i forgot how to spell it.  But anyway thats the only reason and i guess That is NOT your guys fault.  Anyway Thanks for the input.  And the Help identifying them

--------------------

Edited by Shockey (05/07/03 02:22 PM)

OfflineAllYourBase
Killer

#1695932 - 07/08/03 10:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

look like a common psatheralla, There are tons of different kinds of those that grow around here, but I don't eat em...You can tell they are psatherellas cause of the faded cap when it dries

Anonymous

#1696117 - 07/08/03 12:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: ]
    #1696365 - 07/08/03 02:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I should bring up the fact that we say it grows 9on oak and other trees but not maple.

And then one day one finds it growing in maple.

mj

Anonymous

Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1697172 - 07/08/03 08:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Invisiblesubterranean
Peaceful Warrior
Loc: on the road
Re: New Find help on ID. [Re: ]
    #1697246 - 07/08/03 08:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

me and them are two different people right??

cause with me.....that is a sketchy line at times..........

--------------------
If you got one foot in yesterday
And one foot in tomorrow
You are pissin' all over today

Anonymous

#1700018 - 07/09/03 05:02 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales, Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification