Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: what is god? [Re: ]
    #1520707 - 05/05/03 12:35 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i had pretty much the same beliefs as you about 'God' until i'd tripped my first time and had time to digest it all. it was after that when i started taking an interest in spirituality (mostly the eastern traditions), and meditating. tripping for me is definitely a deeply religious experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Anonymous

#1520737 - 05/05/03 12:41 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i once thought shrooms were a religious experience, now they are just an experience.

Anonymous

#1520766 - 05/05/03 12:51 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

alright. i don't know what i'm doing here. it's almost 1 and i've got a final tommorow in organic chem that still needs alot of studyin' for. that and arguing and debating over God is probably one of the stupidest things i can even think of to be doing. you have a nice night. it's been good talking about this stuff. keep an open mind. AND ENJOY YOUR SLEEP!!!  :tongue:

Anonymous

#1520778 - 05/05/03 12:54 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

hahaha sucks to be you, i got all my finals done last week, i'm biology major too...GOOD LUCK!

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1521084 - 05/05/03 03:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

coming from a christian background, for a long time, this was my definition of God, and i considered myself an atheist.

i now see that this doesn't mean that God does not exist, only that that definition is wrong. it only means "god is not... (fill in blank)", not "god is not".

this is exactly how I feel. my definition of God has changed but not my belief. God is a constant, and as we move through life, we are simply seeing It from different angles.

I think it is simply too expansive a concept for one moment to contain. it has to be expressed through time.

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1521275 - 05/05/03 07:02 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Offlinekangoo
ONEVIBE

Re: what is god? [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1521276 - 05/05/03 07:03 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I played bowling with God yesterday, but he's such a bad looser, so I had to buy him a pint afterwards, to stop his nagging.
God is love
God is apathy
God is trees
God is bees
God is weed
God indeed
God is me
God is You
God is everthing
Everything is God, God is everything.
God is therefor good nor evil, the concept of God just "is".
I don't believe God is aware of it/him/herself (whatever suits you).
I don't like the Christian point of view, I prefer more of the eastern traditions and beliefs.

Peace out, love thy neighbour, but use protection.

--------------------
Divine moments of truth occurs when watching
lucy in the sky with diamonds!

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: what is god? [Re: kangoo]
    #1521281 - 05/05/03 07:13 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Murex is god.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: what is god? [Re: Droz]
    #1521459 - 05/05/03 11:06 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

God is a word, what do YOU want it to mean today?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: what is god? [Re: Evolving]
    #1521548 - 05/05/03 12:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

To establish whether or not God exists is actually very easy: just agree on an experiment that will distinguish between a godless universe and one which has a god in it. Then carry out the experiment and observe the result.

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

Re: what is god? [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1521619 - 05/05/03 01:01 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I created a little universe and chose to neglect it. Being that I am the God of that universe and thus an integral part of the experiment, it is impossible for me to observe the results. Will someone please come and see how my little universe is doing?
On the other hand, I am an active, vengeful God in respect to another little universe that I created. Much like the God above Myself (and perhaps the one above Her), I become bored with mere observation, and have developed an insatiable appetite for slapstick. I demand of My people that they entertain Me. When my jesters fail to appease Me, I hurl thunderbolts at them and administer noogies to their tender scalps. They call out in the British dialect that I have conditioned them to speak, "Oh, please, Master! Not another noogie!" After while, I become bored, and leave the room with Monty Python booming out above the inhabitants of the little universe.
But still there is that other universe. I wonder, do you think they have adopted another God than myself? Heretics!

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: what is god? [Re: Alobar]
    #1521665 - 05/05/03 01:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hehe, an excellent gedankenexperiment Alobar :smile:

My point is really that anything but an operational definition of God is just a waste of time. Defining God as the initial conditions of the Big Bang plus each and every later spacetime event that wasn't determined by those initial conditions, is good enough to prove the existence of *that* God according to our state-of-the-art knowledge about the universe.

The existence of that other vengeful Monty-Python-God on the other hand is much more difficult to prove.

And the transcendent consciousness that we shroomers sometimes experience can be called anything... I know what it is and I don't care really if it's called "God" or "Sunyata" or "Vacuum Energy" or whatever.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1521691 - 05/05/03 01:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

the term God leaves a nasty taste in my mouth

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAlobar
A Bucket of Lard

#1521716 - 05/05/03 01:44 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

:grin: 

Anonymous

#1522372 - 05/05/03 06:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

To establish whether or not God exists is actually very easy: just agree on an experiment that will distinguish between a godless universe and one which has a god in it. Then carry out the experiment and observe the result.

hahaha.

OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

#1522479 - 05/05/03 06:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

God is a mythical creature of greater meaning than the likes of the Unicorn. God is only a maintained character created by someone adding to the Great Book Of Fables (The Bible). I suppose, we could say God is the equivalent of the Hookah smoking caterpillar in the picture.

The Caterpillar represents god, the all seeing, wise one, looking down on mankind (represented by Alice). The great tree behind him represents the aspect of our unknown universe. The way the tree rises above ?god? and out of the picture (reaching into the unknown), therefore contradicting the two arguments between the theory: God vs Science/nature. The mushroom is ?gods? throne, used here as a religious and spiritual object. Probably cryptically depicting, that the Caterpillar, being the sitter of the throne has the Powers of the mushroom naturally. The mushroom towers over mankind (representing the fact that mushrooms should be highly regarded and respected) and the caterpillar (god) towers even higher above (becoming the master, meanwhile the tree in the background makes us constantly question his existance when compared to scientific theories).  Finally, the hookah (connected to the mushroom: The link between mushroom - man?)provides an everlasting source of mushroom smoke going into ?god?, the smoke, being a hallucinogenic, feeding gods mind and blurring his vision, his thoughts blow through the wind from the sky and I?m just talking shit now so I?ll stop.
P.s. Notice the desperacy of the smoke rising out of the image, also trying to discover the outer universe (smoke, being a meaningless substance unrelated to any creature, is the symbol for EVERYTHING on earth having a natural curiosity factor. The smoke has escaped, and is exploring alternative theories. The long pipe depicts the long, slow walk of those captured by the christianity fable and entering the mouth of their god who feeds upon them, keeping his will alive).
Ok ill definately shut up now, just look at the picture
:smile:

--------------------
====* I Made My Avatar *====

Edited by Nirvana (05/05/03 06:41 PM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: what is god? [Re: Droz]
    #1523543 - 05/06/03 01:56 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Murex is god.

And so is Droz.  :wink:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what is god? [Re: Murex]
    #1523620 - 05/06/03 02:35 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineMusicJunkie
Stranger
Re: what is god? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1523659 - 05/06/03 03:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

God is whatever one desires him to be, no one has ever seen god (some may claim to have seen him but not in any tangible sense IMO) so the answer to what is god would be different for every person.. The idea of God is something I've never really understood like other people I know, I just try to look at it with an open mind since nothing can really be proven. God to me would be whatever force created matter and energy, it had to come from somewhere didn't it? btw I've been kind of a lurker around these forums in the past and I thought it was about time to actually join the conversation so to speak. so hello everyone.

--------------------
don't take anything I say personally, I only know what I've seen, you can't offend me, feel free to challenge anything I say

Edited by MusicJunkie (05/06/03 03:09 AM)

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what is god? [Re: MusicJunkie]
    #1523699 - 05/06/03 03:36 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder