Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine...
    #1522906 - 05/05/03 07:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok, I was sterilizing the jars and innoculating on Saturday night, I steamed them by putting water in a big pot then putting a dish "towel" on the bottom, so the jars wouldn't actualy be touching the pot.  steamed 3 batches of 4 jars each for about an hour.  I was using the BRF/Verm mix.  The verm was a mix of finer verm and coarse verm, lots of tiny pieces, some medium sized ones, and some pretty big verm chunks.  I followed MOST of the PFTek, I just didn't have an alcohol flame for sterility.

Before innoculation the house was sealed, a little dirty, but all work was done in the kitchen, I took a shower, and changed my clothes, I didn't have any lysol spray to disinfect the area.  I preheated the oven to about 250, and used the oven tech.

The jars were getting to hot on the oven rack, so I kept them on top of the stove and innoculated over the heat of the oven.  (innoculated with legal spores of course ;-)

I didn't have a flame to sterlilize the needle I just removed the tape and the needle guard and went at it, only thing other than dry verm and brf/verm mix the needle touched was the tip of one or two of the twelve jars.  and some of the jars I put a little too much spore water in so I didn't get all 4 sides, and others I may not have put enough in...  I did retape the jars after innoculation.

They aren't being incubated, but are in a dark place covered with some blankets in a tupperware container.

This is my second attempt, first attempt was quite some time ago.

Any suggestions to improve upon next time?  (oh yea!  I accidently made 4 of the jars with about half of 1/4 cup less water than the other 8, so I injected 10 cc more of distilled water after I innoculated all jars, and those 4 were the last 4 I innoculated as well.)

Think they will grow?

Thanks for reading my incredibly long "lab-report"

Sko  :laugh:

--------------------
Sko

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: Sko]
    #1522930 - 05/05/03 07:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i think that not flame sterilizing the needle was a bad call. you can do it with a lighter.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1522936 - 05/05/03 07:14 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I didn't have a flame to sterlilize the needle

I rarely flame sterilize, but I do wipe with an alcohol soaked paper towel between jars.

They should grow. Good Luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: ]
    #1522938 - 05/05/03 07:14 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Oh...PFTek said the lighter was a bad idea cause of the black stuff it leaves behind, what do I do about that?

--------------------
Sko

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1522944 - 05/05/03 07:15 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

After you flame sterilize whipe the syringe with a paper towel with rubbing alchohol on it.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1522947 - 05/05/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

wipe it off with an alcohol covered cloth

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: z@z.com]
    #1522949 - 05/05/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Good 2 know...

--------------------
Sko

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1522950 - 05/05/03 07:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

bastard beat me to it!! :mad: :grin:

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
    #1522953 - 05/05/03 07:17 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The hippie uses alcohol and cotton balls in between jars, works great!

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

OfflineSko
Democrat

#1523010 - 05/05/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ok... so only thing I did wrong was not flaming the needle?

hmmm... not bad... I will post my colonization in a few days... they should be fully colonized by the end of the month, I'm hoping for the 23rd, but probly won't be til later for ALL of them to be fully colonized...

one more thing... last time I tried to grow, I got contam after about 60-70% colonization, they just stopped colonizing, got dry, and smelt like nasty garbage... any ideas? well... I think they were full pint jars too, heh.

TY

Sko

--------------------
Sko

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1523022 - 05/05/03 07:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

are u sure they got dry?? if so then thats why-what was your recipe??

--------------------

Anonymous

#1523050 - 05/05/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

if you hold the needle ABOVE the flame, and not in it, it will not collect soot.

OfflineSko
Democrat

#1523092 - 05/05/03 08:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I used the BRF, verm mix... just an older version of the MMGG I think... or mabe this one, but I asked a friend of mine to come over and help, he brought 2 other ppl, they were all being dumbass, he took the needle guard off and pricked himself with it, cause he wanted to see "if it was sharp" so, I work alone from here on out... but yea they colonized fine, I was using cambodian legal mushroom spores  :smile:.

then they just stoped colonizing one day and smelt like crap and I took em out and they felt pretty dry...  I think its caus I didn't tape em.  ne ways, I hope this experiment works, thanks for all the replies I will sterilize with a lighter and hold it above the flame (it still gets red hot up there?).

Sko  (I have to go home where I have no internet ><)

--------------------
Sko

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
    #1523243 - 05/05/03 09:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Oh...PFTek said the lighter was a bad idea cause of the black stuff it leaves behind, what do I do about that?

I think it says it's bad just in that it leaves a stain. The black stuff doesn't hurt anything. My friend's buddy just wipes it off before inoculating.

-FB

Anonymous

#1524187 - 05/06/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

if the version of the PF tek we have here at the shroomery says anything about not using a cigarette lighter to flame sterilize, on account that it will get soot on the needle, it should be edited.

for one, if you hold the needle just above the flame, it will not get sooty.

second, it really doesn't matter if the needle gets a little soot on it anyway. it's just carbon.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1524289 - 05/06/03 10:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

PF tek at the Shroomery, check for yourself:
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23019

Anonymous

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: Anno]
    #1524307 - 05/06/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

the one at the top of the page makes it sounds like flame-sterilizing is an optional procedure and that if you choose to do it, you should use an alcohol flame, and not a butane lighter. i don't think that's good information.

the other teks stress flame sterilization much more, and say that it's ok to use a butane lighter.

OfflineSomeMycologist
some guy
Loc: Mycoland
    #1524370 - 05/06/03 11:34 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i think it doesnt matter what type of flame you use as long as it heats it to a red

--------------------
If you cant beat them, join them, then beat them!

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... *DELETED* [Re: SomeMycologist]
    #1524522 - 05/06/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: poke smot!]
    #1524697 - 05/06/03 01:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Cool, sounds like Needle sterilization with innoculation is my only concern, but my jars are kinda smelly, is this supposed to happen?

I mean there should be some smell right? It wouldn't be natural if it didn't smell, but how bad is it supposed to smell, it kinda smells a little bad, if I kept smelling it for like 5 minutes I would probly be disgusted, but...?

I have a fundraiser going to buy an 8 qrt PC from wal mart, heh. and I might try and get another syringe from THE, since this batch might be no good, I'll post back in a few days to tell about the growth of mycel, so far no signs of life.

Sko

--------------------
Sko

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1528224 - 05/07/03 04:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

does it smell like fermenting grain, old apples, dirty nasty feet....or mushrooms... if it has a fungi it's good, fermentation smell could mean that the grain sat too long before inoculation or colonization, this isnt great but not too bad, they can still grow. Any other smell is not good, you may want to peek in on them every 3-4 days....

P#1

OfflineSko
Democrat

Re: Innoculated at midnight... concerns of mine... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #1530693 - 05/08/03 12:18 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well... I've re-evaluated, they don't smell really bad, you could probly see it as good or bad, depending on what your nose likes, ;-)

But it's probly a lil bit of a shroomy smell... still waiting for growth... I need to get a new Aquarium heater, I bought the Junior Heater from Wal Mart... oh man... what a mistake, taking it back today.... gotta get at least the 10-30gal heater...

Sko

--------------------
Sko

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #1536665 - 05/10/03 08:52 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

good to hear....shroomey is not a bad smell...once you get past the odor  :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder