Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
I am desperate for help
    #1522801 - 05/05/03 08:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have been posting all day in different forums, I have seen my rating go down cause everyone thinks I'm stupid, I don't care, but no one has answered my question, HOW DO I PROTECT FROM COBWEB MOLD????????? It was my only contam and it killed all of my jars, I don't want to fuck up again, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. Obviously I guarded against everything else, what was the cause of cobweb (don't say spores I know, I'm asking where in my kitchen did this come from)?????????

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemccoy
Experiencer
Re: I am desperate for help [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #1522812 - 05/05/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

dude, sometimes shit just happens. i have only experienced cobweb in one of my casings and it normally has to due with te humidity level. did you use cakes, or casings. did it happen during innoculation or fruiting?

--------------------
Deep is the world of one consumed in shrooms........though we cannot know anything, it is the puzzle of such a deep world that pulls curious minds into its poetry.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1522819 - 05/05/03 08:39 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It came from you not being sterile in some step you did. Sometimes BRF or Vermiculite can harbor a large number of mold spores. Try switching brands/batches of supplies. It could really come from dozens of different places. Do you use a PC? did you make the syringe? It sounds like it may be the syringe.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Re: I am desperate for help [Re: mccoy]
    #1522824 - 05/05/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It was brf/verm cakes, and cobweb showed during incubation, I wondered if it was a bad syringe because it only started showing at inoculation sites.

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1522825 - 05/05/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You sure it was cobweb?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

#1522827 - 05/05/03 08:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I got the syringe from hawks eye

--------------------

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

#1522832 - 05/05/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yes definately cobweb...much research and a few mods telling it is contams, it is without doubt cobweb...please help me for the future.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1522837 - 05/05/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Send them an e-mail or PM telling them that you have spotted a number of mold spores in the syringe. I had a problem with two syringes they sent me and they replaced them with four more for free. They will help you out if you are discreet and contact them.

--------------------

Edited by z@z.com (05/05/03 08:45 PM)

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Re: I am desperate for help [Re: z@z.com]
    #1522841 - 05/05/03 08:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I did just send bak to t.h.e. for replacements but I still need to know if I did something wrong and how to fix it.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1522846 - 05/05/03 08:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you want more help give all the details from substrate preparation to inoculation. We need absolutely every detail you can give.

--------------------

Offlinemccoy
Experiencer
    #1522849 - 05/05/03 08:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

try using www.thelittleguy.com , or www.sporebank.com. i have used both and was satisfied. that sucks man, order from a different spore dealer, take extra care to clean and sterilize, and try again.

--------------------
Deep is the world of one consumed in shrooms........though we cannot know anything, it is the puzzle of such a deep world that pulls curious minds into its poetry.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1522851 - 05/05/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have found the hawks eye to be a very good vendor. Only one problem with about 15 orders.

--------------------

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

#1522856 - 05/05/03 08:51 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

brf/verm cakes, nine and half days old, incubation temp 75-80 degrees, steam sterilization, lipa yai strain. please help this is third time today i've given specs, I really need help with specific info about cobweb, please i thought i could get help here, and to all you smart asses out there I already read the FAQ's and posted in the contam forum. please help me someone.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1522858 - 05/05/03 08:53 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

How long did you steralize?
If it was long enough then it is probably a syringe problem.

--------------------

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

#1522862 - 05/05/03 08:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

one hour and fifteen min sterilization is this enough?

--------------------

Offlinemccoy
Experiencer
    #1522867 - 05/05/03 08:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

try a different means of sterilization. pressure cook, or boil for a good hour. be more weary of airborn contaminants, avoid breathing on your cakes, touching, etc. use lysol. if you mist them, use sterlized water. lower your humidity as cobweb favors high humidity. increase the air flow in your chamber. always sterilize anything that is going to come in contact with the cake. good luck.

--------------------

OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

#1523295 - 05/05/03 11:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I have been waiting for hours, with multiple postings, I have gotten some good feedback, but still no answers as to what needs better sterilzation to prevent cobweb, I really don't want to fuck things up again. I would like some serious in depth info about this pest. Can someone tell me what I didn't sterilize properly, what did I miss, I want to become better (and successful). BTW thanks to all who have posted your help is great.

--------------------

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1523397 - 05/06/03 12:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

It's pretty important to establish where the contamination is coming from before trying to come up with a solution.  With any contamination problem, I think a negative control should be included in the process.  In your case, two negative controls. 

#1.  Prepared and sterilized as the other jars, no inoculation.  Incubated with the remaining jars.
#2.  Prepared and sterilized as the other jars, 'fake inoculated' [stick needle through holes but don't expel any spore solution.  Incubated with the remaining jars.

Interpretation should go something like this;

Contamination occurs on regular jars AND

1.  Negative #1 and #2 contaminate:  Incomplete sterilization [increase time/temp].  Inadequate air quality during cooling stage [nearly all the air inside the PC is replaced by outside air during cooling.  The vermiculite layer filters this to some degree, but the general environment for a cooling PC should be 'clean air'.  Wrapping the steam valve with an alcohol/bleach rag just after venting stops also helps.]

2.  Only negative #2 contaminates:  Dirty syringe NEEDLE.  Dirty inoculating environment. [clean up!!]

3.  Neither contaminates:  This points to a faulty spore solution.  It happens.  [work out with vendor.  If you have some negative control info, most are more than willing to compensate].

4.  Only #1 contaminates:  Nothing's perfect :wink:

Negatives will give you more info to address this problem, and they are really not much of a hassle.  If they are contam-free, they can be inoculated later.

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

#1523405 - 05/06/03 12:45 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Everyone already told you exactly what you are asking. Try fractional sterilization (tyndallization). Boil the jars for an hour, then wait a day and boil them for an hour again before innoculation. You can do this one more time to be absolutely sure they are sterile, but twice is usually enough.

ALSO - H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) has been known to kill cobweb. Simply add a small amount to the water you are mixing your substrate with (the BRF/verm). This should also help out a lot with cobweb.

That is ALL. There is no more that you don't know. Read this thread over again, all the answers are there.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Anonymous

Re: I am desperate for help [Re: Rustik]
    #1523794 - 05/06/03 05:23 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet,

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation