Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemegosh
fugged up substrate
    #1522263 - 05/05/03 05:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

hello all. i hope you can be of some assistance. my girlfriends kitty has a problem - it is retarded(!) apparently. it could not tell the difference between perlite and vermiculite when preparing the substrate and did not realize the mistake until several hours after inoculation. her kitty now has a dozen jars of colinizing perlite and brf cakes. some brown spots have appeared, but they may be due to poor mixing of the brf. supplier says the spores are contam resistant so... i dunno. her kitty whom i speak to often(most of the time in quasi religious tongues...) wants to know if once fully colinized should she continue following common pfstyle teks or should it case? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJuice7
Spiritualist!!!
Re: fugged up substrate [Re: megosh]
    #1522269 - 05/05/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

keep updated and route you take

im also wondering what would happen using perelite

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #1522506 - 05/05/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Although you altered the original tek, there have been documented cases of growth success with perlite cakes. Incubation is going to take much, much longer so expect a low yield due to contams. No spore is contam resistant, some are just less vulnerable, but with perlite you'll definitely expect a higher contam rate, slower incubation and probably less yeild.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: fugged up substrate [Re: soochi]
    #1522627 - 05/05/03 07:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

^^^^yup!

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinemegosh
Re: fugged up substrate [Re: soochi]
    #1522642 - 05/05/03 07:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

its been 5 - 6 days since inoc. currently about 30 percent colinized. this doesnt seem slow to me. should i expect it to start to slow soon? is there anything i can do to encourage faster growth?
thank you for your replies.
mego.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1522782 - 05/05/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

from what afoaf has seen of perlite as bottom layers in casings, there has been no mycelium growth throughout the perlite at all, therefore guessing that you should get some verm and start your next batch now. this guys guess is that 100% colonization is hopeless. and that you should bring this thread back to life when and if they do.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinemegosh
Re: fugged up substrate [Re: jakeholman]
    #1522932 - 05/05/03 09:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i just checked them again. some are almost 50 percent colonized. i will post again in about a week. in the meantime the leftover spores will be used to inoculate a vermiculite based substrate. however the current colonization rate has been (so far) faster than that of what i have previously seen on vermiculite cakes, so i myself am hesitant to view it as a hopeless situation, besides that, even if i never get to 100 percent couldn't i just cut out the uncolonized parts leaving myself with essentially 100 percent colonization of partial cakes and case that?or is my thinking too simple? let me know what you think.
thanks very much.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation