Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: Rustik]
    #1517274 - 05/03/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

This place has always been popular among teenagers who were living with their parents.

When Ythan started the site, he was 15 and living with his parents.

When I, and many prominent members joined, they were also teenagers living with their parents.

Also, I don't have a credit card, nor do I plan on getting one. All the credit card policy does is keep people without credit cards off of the shroomery.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: ]
    #1517284 - 05/03/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"i think its good young kids can get real information about drugs here....kids dont start drugs at 18..so why restrict information that could save their life? "

That's another good point. First of all, these kids are going to be doing drugs whether they saw it on the Shroomery or not.

They either get their information from a good website or the jerk off in high school they bought their shrooms from. I think that the whole point of the shroomery and other such sites is to ensure that people use drugs safely.

You may not like the idea of a fifteen year old growing mushrooms in his parents house, but restricting his access to this website is not going to stop him from doing it.

The idea of the credit card system disgusts me, actually. I'm sure a huge number of our users would not be here now if that policy had been in place. The Shroomery is about opening information, not keeping it from people without credit cards.

I will do anything I can to prevent such a policy being put in place. If someone did put such a policy in place I wouldn't be returning to the Shroomery again.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: Phluck]
    #1517346 - 05/03/03 10:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Phluck, did you even read my second post? Go back and read it.

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
    #1518335 - 05/03/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If we use the cc age verification thing, it will root out the legit members and leave only the pigs. It'll never happen anyways, so whatever. I see good points on both sides of the arguement.

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: Ripple]
    #1519292 - 05/04/03 11:37 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Check out the rules of the Shroomery:

By use of The Shroomery Website or BBS, you are verifying that you are 18 years of age or older. This site is not intended for minors, so if you are under the age of 18, please come back when you can meet this requirement.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum1&Number=1517049&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineRustik
Where am I?

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: motaman]
    #1519407 - 05/04/03 12:39 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

EXACTLY what the mods need to be careful with!!! Mods PLEASE - if you see anything like this, please get rid of them!

--------------------

The blue... the blue!!!

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1519416 - 05/04/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well, when Ythan built the site in the early days, I'm sure he did not expect a ballooning of this magnitude.

Albeit unprofessional, The Shroomery's become a bit of an online institution now. The only mature course of action, in my opinion, is to restrict access to it's information to responsible adults. The simple fact of the matter is that The Shroomery is not a very tightly regulated information resource. The Shroomery does not in general contain very balanced, consistent information about these very delicate, potentially life-changing subjects. As such, it's only reasonable and in the best interest of everybody that informed individuals be the ones who explore this particular archive.

Of course, I also found The Shroomery at age 15. That is beside the point. Let's face it:

Children, especially the naturally unaware middle class type children (myself included at that time), should not be so carelessly gobbling mushrooms and other sacraments. To a more distressing degree are MDMA, pharmaceuticals, inhalants, opiates, stimulants.. the list goes on. These things are not rightly paired with psilocybin, either in the public eye or the minds of youth.

Now don't get me wrong. I of course advocate the begetting of honest information surrounding psychedelic issues to young people. The Shroomery, though, does not even begin to fit that framework.

When employing the strategy of credit card verification, Phluck highlights the unfortunate truth that many people opt out of the credit game. Keeping minors out of The Shroomery seems an insurmountable, ultimately impractical task. What else is there to be done? Who is hurt by The Shroomery in contrast to those who are helped? These are important questions that should be under constant scrutiny.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... *DELETED* [Re: Ped]
    #1519875 - 05/04/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: poke smot!]
    #1519993 - 05/04/03 05:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If I hadn't read the shroomery and erowid before I turned 18, I think there's a good chance I might have killed myself or done myself serious harm. I don't think the age rule is good.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

Offlinethe free thinker
salesman
Male User Gallery

Loc: twin cities
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: bert]
    #1520239 - 05/04/03 07:22 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

If I hadn't read the shroomery and erowid before I turned 18, I think there's a good chance I might have killed myself or done myself serious harm. I don't think the age rule is good.

Me too

--------------------

OfflineSBTlauien
Stranger

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Phluck]
    #1520660 - 05/04/03 10:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: SBTlauien]
    #1520782 - 05/04/03 10:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm 18 but still no card, well I had one but I got rid oof it. but like I said this thing will never happen. Maybe it would be fine if people admitted they were under 18 and were allowed access to proven info or something.

--------------------

OfflineSBTlauien
Stranger

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1520959 - 05/05/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: SBTlauien]
    #1520979 - 05/05/03 12:23 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Who cares, kids are smart. If you want credit card 'verification', they'd just get their parent's CC or steal someone's off the internet.

PS- Fuck credit cards.

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: Adamist]
    #1521307 - 05/05/03 06:05 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Here's an excellent example of why kids should be kept out of the shroomery
Putting acid in a drink for somebody you don't like

Somebody please ban this little fuck

Anonymous

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: zeta]
    #1521370 - 05/05/03 07:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i love elitists.

maybe you should tell him why he shouldn't do that, or is your nose to high in the air?

Offlineshr00m
junglisT 2 thefUll3st

Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: ]
    #1521409 - 05/05/03 08:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

whats sick is their are adults who would do the same thing. I know many people 18+ that are just retarded. Not even with the 20 ft beer bong!

--------------------
the only constant is change~ life goes on. so theres no point in staying back because you can always catch up. try,hope, and understand!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1521989 - 05/05/03 01:53 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

#1522551 - 05/05/03 05:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ummmm Zeta, please don't think all 'kids' are like this. I know for a fact there are plenty of 'brainy', mature and sensible under 18's out there who turn to this place for support and advice. Enforcing the 18+ idea would be very ignorant... Also, stereotyping SUCKS!

P.s. By making this post I am in no way saying I am below the age of 18. I am merely putting across how I feel the under 18's who enjoy this site would react to being banned!

--------------------
====* I Made My Avatar *====

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Keeping kids OUT of the shroomery... [Re: Nirvana]
    #1523007 - 05/05/03 07:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Enforcing the 18+ idea would be very ignorant

well they are .. clink on link in the post above yours.. or.. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum6&Number=1520913&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Following is a copy of a thread in the Website Announcements & Feedback forum. Questions and comments must be addressed in that thread.
-------------------------------------

This post is designed to re-inform everyone that The Shroomery does not allow minors in the community. Per our Disclaimer, use here indicates user agreement to sitewide policies. Therefore, anyone found to be under the age of 18 years will be banned from our site. This is being brought up as a reminder since we recently had to go through and remove some user's access to the community after they flaunted their minority age status on the forums. Apparently, people are not paying enough attention to our policies.

If you are found to be underage, you will be banned.

Here is a linked listing of sitewide policies that everyone should understand (they can also be found linked on the bottom of every BB page). Additionally, we have a set of administrative rules & guidelines that dictates how we run the site which can be found at the top of the Website Announcements & Feedback forum:

--------------------

Edited by motaman (05/05/03 07:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals