Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency??
    #15210741 - 10/11/11 05:17 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This lil guy is approx 2 months old. Was doing great up to 2 days ago, right after it lost its seed leaves.

First, the lowest set of leaves turned yellow. The next day (today), the set of leaves right above that turned yellow too.

Because its clearly progressing from the ground up, it makes me think it might be some nutrient deficiency?? Retarded logic or not?

If it keeps going at this rate of one set of leaves per day, in a week I'll have lost the whole plant. :sad:

First thought is-- lack of the oft-discussed nitrogen-fixing bacteria??

Help me... (wringing of hands, clutching at breast, shaking of fist)...

This is (was?) the healthiest m. hostilis seedling of the batch and I would hate to kill it with inexperience.

I will be brewing up some worm castings tea according to TheMallacht's Worm Compost Tea recipe, with kelp meal and maybe bone meal added, and hopefully this will help with whatever my seedling is suffering from.

--------------------
:crazy2: SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES :crazy2:
:mushroom2:HOW TO USE A PENIS ENVY SPORE SWAB:mushroom2:

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScarab74
Warminatrix
Female

Loc: Conchs & Coconuts, USA Flag
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: SKrink]
    #15210785 - 10/11/11 05:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Admittedly, I don't have experience with Mimosa hostilis, but I have found yellowing to often be a sign of over-watering/poor drainage.  Also, my lawn yellows with poor iron . . .

Good luck with your sick baby!

--------------------
~Scarab74
We are such stuff as dreams are made of.
                W. Shakespeare - The Tempest

OfflineZaka
Explorer
Male

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: Scarab74]
    #15211794 - 10/11/11 11:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Irie,
I would agree.....overwatering..
Really let it dry till it wilts!
It'll do so much better!
Respect,
Z

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: Zaka]
    #15212153 - 10/12/11 01:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hmm, I only water once every 2 weeks. A thorough bottom-watering. Even then the soil is never really dry. So I think it may be an issue of my potting mix retaining too much water.

Don't get me wrong, drainage is great, but it tends not to dry out for a long time.

Is the seedling too vulnerable for me to transplant into a more suitable potting mix right now?

--------------------

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

OfflineZaka
Explorer
Male

#15212485 - 10/12/11 04:22 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Irie,
I would not transplant yet....
Just let the medium dry out thoroughly.
I water my seedlings less than my cacti!!
Respect,
Z

InvisibleMADHACK3RZ
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: Zaka]
    #15225957 - 10/14/11 05:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

My cat pulled my mimosa plant out and I found it roughly within four hours of what I call mishap transplant I fed it some thrive B12 formula from the hydro store and just mist with one drop to 500ml about two times a day and it back and running strong. My suggestion would be to use that thrive stuff into your mix and things should get a little better. Hope this may help :shrug:

--------------------
There is no food in my fridge only body parts
I spin more rhymes then a lazy suzan, I'm innocent until my guilt is proven.
Hell yeah I'm AMU, Now watch me smoke this spliff!
I'm not racist I hate everyone!
AMU Tek's, This is how we do!
AMU Q&A Thread
If you dont know, then feel free to ask me... MAD! The only stupid question is the question you didn't ask!

OfflinePoopyGonzales
Illuminati Recruitment Officer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wollongong, NSW Flag
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: MADHACK3RZ]
    #15226040 - 10/14/11 05:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

another thing you could try if the leaves dont pick up is cutting them of at the stem, then rubbing some rootex gel on on the parts you cut off and then bury the parts rubbed with rootex in the soil.

It will cause the plants to grow more roots, and help boost the growth of the healthier parts

InvisibleMADHACK3RZ
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: PoopyGonzales]
    #15226082 - 10/14/11 05:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Root growth with mimosa is primary goal :thumbup:

--------------------
There is no food in my fridge only body parts
I spin more rhymes then a lazy suzan, I'm innocent until my guilt is proven.
Hell yeah I'm AMU, Now watch me smoke this spliff!
I'm not racist I hate everyone!
AMU Tek's, This is how we do!
AMU Q&A Thread
If you dont know, then feel free to ask me... MAD! The only stupid question is the question you didn't ask!

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: PoopyGonzales]
    #15227177 - 10/14/11 09:04 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

PoopyGonzales said:
another thing you could try if the leaves dont pick up is cutting them of at the stem, then rubbing some rootex gel on on the parts you cut off and then bury the parts rubbed with rootex in the soil.

It will cause the plants to grow more roots, and help boost the growth of the healthier parts

Hmm good idea. The yellow leaves are now pretty much dead, so it won't hurt to remove them.. Good news is that the yellowing has not spread!

Following earlier responses, I stopped watering, placed in in a spot with increased airflow, and removed that ridiculous top layer of sand-- all to help the soil dry out a little faster.

Once it seems back on its feet, I will repot into a more suitable mix.

I'm thinking coir, perlite, worm castings, gravel bits-- sound good for aeration and healthy root growth?

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
    #15227403 - 10/14/11 09:47 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I hear they regularily shed their lower leaves to create humus/mulch for the soil (Known as Pioneer Plants). I know mine does that exact thing and seems to be perfectly healthy.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #15262071 - 10/22/11 02:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Are you sure there isnt some bugs at work here?

I have a mimosa that had similar problems and after a while i noticed some spiderweb on the top yellow leaves.

I sprayed with some bug killer thing and now it much better.
Got supriced by this one cause i mainly look for the common bugs and i didnt see some.

Just a thought..

/Mateo

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: Mateo]
    #15262940 - 10/22/11 06:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

No bugs that I can see. I let the soil dry out totally, but the yellowing still spreading.

Transplanted to a different mix that's more airy and coarse, hoping for the best.

Maybe a N deficiency? My soil mixes are mostly coir, perlite, and worm castings.

--------------------

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: RourkeAnderson]
    #15262948 - 10/22/11 06:22 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RourkeAnderson said:
I hear they regularily shed their lower leaves to create humus/mulch for the soil (Known as Pioneer Plants). I know mine does that exact thing and seems to be perfectly healthy.

Oo just read this. Hmm if that's the case then I shouldn't worry, right?
New growth is still sprouting from the top, no slower or faster than before the yellowing started.

--------------------

OfflineRourkeAnderson
<3 <3 <3
Male User Gallery

Loc: Surrey, BC, Canada
    #15264707 - 10/23/11 02:26 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

It's about the same rate; it slows down when they reach 3-4 feet. He should be just fine as long as the new growth looks good.

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

#15265156 - 10/23/11 07:21 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Until I gotta find a spot for him outdoors, or turn him into a bonsai :wink:

--------------------

Offlineturtle_hermit
Psychedelic Ranger
 User Gallery

#15481478 - 12/07/11 05:24 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yo Skrink, just noticed a couple leaves on mine starting to turn yellow/slightly brown.

Wondering how yours was doing and if you ever figured out what was the culprit?

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: turtle_hermit]
    #15481942 - 12/07/11 06:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, it was definitely a nutrient deficiency (possibly just N, but probably across the spectrum).

Because my potting mix consists primarily of coir and perlite, supplemented with worm castings, alot of my non-cacti plants started showing yellow leaves.

Problem solved by watering with this mixture:

MiracleGro Liquid All-Purpose Plant Food (8-7-6): 20 drops per quart of homebrewed worm compost tea.

Just the MiracleGro in water (per label directions) worked well too.

--------------------

Offlineturtle_hermit
Psychedelic Ranger
 User Gallery

#15483046 - 12/07/11 10:31 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds good. I'll have to give a small fertilizer bump tomorrow and see how she looks.

PS is the Orbea variegata in your sig yours?

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: turtle_hermit]
    #15484975 - 12/08/11 09:55 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

mimosa hostilis lower leavs drop, as do inner leaves.  any areas that get lower light levels yellow and drop.  is that the reason for yours dropping?  not sure, you dont have a large paltn so maybe not.  But going by your photo it looks fine.  The biggest problem people have growing literl invasive weeds is they give it too much TLC.

I have noticed some yellowing with overwatering, inpotted plants, like zaka says.  That said i have my plants in ground where they tanked a 6 month drought (zero rainfall in 6 months and i didnt water them) and they also live under a meter of water for a week or 2 on end, they are tough plants.

I personally suggest (if its warm there) to get some real dirt (ie from outside in your yard) and cut it with 20-30% bagged dirt (ie crappy dirt) and plant it in a massive pot (5gal paint bucket or bigger) and put it in the sun.  They grow FAST and are TOUGH once you get out of the small pot game.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinevelcroshaman
Fazed and Confused

Re: Mimosa hostilis yellowing leaves-- nutrient deficiency?? [Re: kadakuda]
    #15485104 - 12/08/11 10:35 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

They definitely needed some nutes. I've been using diluted orchid food, but no matter what you use, you should check the soil pH every week or two.

The lower leaves will naturally fall off as the canopy level of the tree gets higher, even if you have good side lighting, so I'm pretty sure light isn't necessarily the trigger to make them shed, at least not entirely. I've got a few I started near the end of October, and the first true leaf is already doing this at a month and a half.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Current Grows:mushroom2:
:1up: Mimosa hostilis

:mushroom2: Give me stuff I want for stuff you want :mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds