Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisible2stick

First Time Grow - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes *Pics Updated 10/11 - Day 16*
    #15170102 - 10/03/11 02:35 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

What's up everyone, new grower here a week or so into my first attempt at growing shrooms. I decided to use the PF-Tek method for my first grow because it seemed to be the most noob friendly tek out there. I couldn't find any canning jars in my area so I'm using 13.75oz glasses with aluminum foil lids (1 layer, no tape over inoc. holes). My substrate ratio was 7 cups vermiculite, 4 cups BRF, 4 cups water (along with the .5-1 inch of dry verm in each glass). I sterilized 12 glasses over 2 days in a regular pot for 90 minutes. The glasses were sterilized 4-5 days before I inoculated them with the spore syringes (mail took longer than I expected). Is there anything wrong with this? I don't see why it would be a problem, just looking for some clarification.

The glasses were inoculated on September 26th, and were just observed for the first time around an hour ago (which makes it 8 days since inoculation). Here are some pics of the best glasses of each strain. All of the glasses are showing growth at the inoculation sites, some more than others. The Oak Ridge glasses are much more colonized than the Cambodians. No contamination noticed yet.

Oak Ridge:

Cambodian:

Am I right in assuming that the mycelium will continue to grow outward from the inoculation points, or should I expect to see random patches of mycelium sprouting up throughout the glass?

I'm storing the glasses in this box:

Since I inoculated the glasses they've just been sitting in there with the lid closed. Is this okay, or should I move them to somewhere more open so they can receive some light and better gas exchange? Or maybe just give them a few hours out of the box each day?

Also, one last question. Is this tek worth trying out? I'm thinking of birthing 8 of the cakes in a Shotgun Terrarium and using the last 4 cakes to try that bulk BRF cake tek out. Let me know if it'd be worthwhile. I'll be back every few days to update the pics and ask/answer questions. Thanks for looking!

Update 10/11
It's been 16 days since inoculation and my cakes are looking great. All but a few are over 70% colonized, none showing any contamination. I noted last time that the Oak Ridge glasses were colonizing much faster than the Cambodians. Now it seems as though the Cambodians have caught up. Also, as you can see I've trimmed the lids with a razor blade to allow for better viewing of the entire cake. Here are updated pics of the glasses I showed you last time.

Oak Ridge:

Cambodian:

Also, I have one quick question. In some of the jars I've noticed these black specks. I'm thinking they're just pieces of verm but I wanna make sure its not any sort of contam. Let me know, thanks!

Edited by 2stick (10/17/11 10:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineigigi
Male

Loc: Sumer, Mesopotamia
Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: 2stick]
    #15170137 - 10/03/11 03:01 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I can't comment on the Damion50/50, I haven't attempted it yet.  But the most important thing I have gleamed about that tek is: PROPER PASTEURIZATION of your bulk substrate, or you will fail.

I'm on my 1st grow as well.. but I have 13 more 1/2 pint jars colonizing.. but I would suggest going w/ RR's SGFC.  Minimal investment, and if you mess up a cake (think contams), you can easily isolate it from the others.  We're using the same lid tek (4 holes).. ditch the foil, tighten the lids, and place micro pore tape over the holes.  In colonization you want GE.  The verm layer is a good contam barrier, but shit happens: better same than sorry, get the tape imo.

Personally I have 7 cakes in the chamber, and I'm just now getting a grasp on how to initiate pinning properly.  13 jars colonizing very nicely.. My grow log was updated tonight.  I would suggest a decent sized SGFC, perlite, and a hydrometer -> learn how your strains operate.

Get a few fruits, attempt clean spore prints... make LC from the print.. then you can do whatever you want, because you'll not be wanting for syringes..

--------------------
I --REFUSE-- TO BELIEVE Boeing 767s and WTCs are made out of exploded and unexploded nano-thermitic material.
Google: bentham science thermitic.  Click and READ the first link.  I triple (WTCs 1, 2, and 7..) dog dare you.
http://ae911truth.org/

Edited by igigi (10/03/11 03:07 AM)

Invisible2stick

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: igigi]
    #15170154 - 10/03/11 03:14 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

^ Like I said in the original post, I'm using drinking glasses instead of jars so they don't have lids, which is why I'm using aluminum foil. As for the tape over the inoculation holes the general consensus I got when researching was that the dry verm layer is good enough for keeping the cakes sterile, which is why I opted to go tape-free. Thanks for the advice though, I'll take it into consideration.

Edited by 2stick (10/03/11 03:16 AM)

Offlineigigi
Male

#15170177 - 10/03/11 03:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Bleh.. yeah, I did totally miss that part.. the pictures were too shiney.  No Child Left Behind: at work.  Seriously though, consider micro pore still, trim that foil like a lid, tape it and the holes.  Micro pore is hypoallergenic, water resistant, and provides the gas exchange you need for colonization while limiting FAE

I know people successfully grow w/ glasses frequently, but you just can't beat a sealed environment.  Try ACE hardware, or a Krogers or other similar grocer for jars for your next grow.. even old tostitos jars (typically "wide enough") or something 1/2 pint 236ml 8oz ish.  A verm layer is nice, but as your cake consolidates, it'll shrink a bit, your verm layer might shift down the sides and introduce contams..

On contams though, they're aggressive.. and *typically* it's as easy as "is it not white?".  Also: if a jar (glass) contams, isolate it from the other jars, esp in your case w/ the foil!  Last thing you need is for that 1 jar to spore all over the others..

Seriously though: best of luck man!  I'm printing every fruit that's viable, looking to attempt LCs w/ fresh inner stem and the prints I've been taking.  You can even use an invitro pin to start an LC.. Point being, read a lot and search "Trusted Cultivators" .. you'll have a lot of time to figure out how you want to proceed, .. and figuring a way to avoid buying more online syringes, lol.. but research is def the key.

--------------------
I --REFUSE-- TO BELIEVE Boeing 767s and WTCs are made out of exploded and unexploded nano-thermitic material.
Google: bentham science thermitic.  Click and READ the first link.  I triple (WTCs 1, 2, and 7..) dog dare you.

Edited by igigi (10/03/11 03:27 PM)

Offlineigigi
Male

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes *DELETED* [Re: igigi]
    #15170189 - 10/03/11 03:48 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Post deleted by igigi<p>Reason for deletion: double post

Edited by igigi (10/03/11 03:27 PM)

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: igigi] * 1
    #15170194 - 10/03/11 03:53 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, move the jars out of the box. They need ambient levels of 6500K light, which you can get at any grocer, on a 12/12 schedule. this will speed up colonization, its been proven by side-by-side petris many times over. The dry verm is your protection, and you holes are for gas exchange, so closing them into a stale air environment isn't doing them any favors too. :goodluck: hope that helps your whole schmeal

Offlinebrand0n
large jar mad man!!

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: Munchauzen]
    #15170371 - 10/03/11 06:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

my buddy couldnt find jars.

he went to his local grocery store and bought a dozen pickle jars.
granted he paid 2 bucks a jar, but he got what he needed and still uses them.

--------------------
That did it! I am now the anti BRF CAKE! I have had enough! TO HELL WITH BRF! REAL MEN USE SEED! Go now brf younging. Get some seed. COME BACK A MAN!

Invisible2stick

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: brand0n]
    #15172210 - 10/03/11 03:00 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Just took the jars out of the box and put them on a table next to a window which should provide them with plenty of light and fresh air for gas exchange. I'll grab a CFL lightbulb for them when I have time, as I'm gonna need one when it comes down to fruiting anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by 2stick (10/03/11 03:01 PM)

Invisible2stick

#15207995 - 10/11/11 12:45 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys, 16 days after inoculation and the glasses are looking great. I have a quick question though. In some of the glasses I've noticed these black specks scattered around. I'm thinking they're just pieces of verm, but I wanna make sure it's not a contam. Let me know!

I've also updated the original post with more pics.

Edited by 2stick (10/11/11 12:46 AM)

OfflineHoneydew
Physicist
Male

Loc: The Yog Tower
    #15208041 - 10/11/11 01:05 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

most def verm. i get it like crazy with the verm i use... i also find perlite in my verm sometimes

--------------------
I'm only on this website to role play about mycology I would never actually do that.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

#15208560 - 10/11/11 07:13 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Take a closer inspection of those specks in some natural lighting. I'm pretty sure they are pieces of verm. If they go 'sparkly sparkly' in the sunlight then it's probably just verm. Keep an eye on it.

Offlineigigi
Male

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: occollegeboi]
    #15209166 - 10/11/11 10:43 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, as your cake consolidates it will shrink a little and the verm barrier sometimes comes down.

--------------------

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: igigi]
    #15209748 - 10/11/11 12:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thats a lot of rhizmorphic growth. Very Nice:borat:

Invisible2stick

Re: First Time Grow Log - Cambodian & Oak Ridge BRF Cakes [Re: occollegeboi]
    #15210005 - 10/11/11 01:56 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Take a closer inspection of those specks in some natural lighting. I'm pretty sure they are pieces of verm. If they go 'sparkly sparkly' in the sunlight then it's probably just verm. Keep an eye on it.

Just took a few glasses that have black specks outside and they did in fact sparkle so I'm pretty confident now that it's just verm. I'd say around 4-5 of the glasses will be able to start their week long consolidation period by tomorrow. Can't wait to birth them and enjoy some fruits!

Quote:

The Influence said:
Thats a lot of rhizmorphic growth. Very Nice:borat:

Yeah, alot of the growth in all of the Oak Ridge glasses has turned very rhizomorphic. The Cambodians are pretty rhizomorphic as well, but not as much as the Oaks.

Edited by 2stick (10/11/11 01:59 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale