Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Loc: Shakedown Street
Casing PH Question
    #1520932 - 05/05/03 01:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have a friend who knows a guy who is doing his first casing, and after studying all applicable FAQs, he has a question or two. He has many jars (BRF & WBS) 20% colonized and a bunch of myco-bags 90-100% colonized, and he is almost ready to case.  :smile:He is using a 50/50 Peat/Verm casing with hydrated lime and oyster shells. He was wondering if he should mix the casing matter, let it sit for an hour or so, then test PH levels and then PC? Or should I wait until after sterilization to test the PH? He is not sure about how the PH changes during PCing. He is mainly worried about the lime screwing things up. He has taken a lot of time to do things correctly (with no problems), and doesn't want to screw up by burning the myc. Also, should he use a pillow case to PC the casing, or just large jars? Thanks for the help, guys!

-FB   

Edited by FunkyBudah (05/05/03 02:04 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Casing PH Question [Re: FunkyBudah]
    #1520992 - 05/05/03 02:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I never thought that the PH could change during PC-ing. Maybe, but I don't think that the difference would matter. Why don't you try it before and after and tell us if anything changed? :smile:
I use a perforated polyprobylene bag to PC casings (I guess pillow case would be the same) - IMO you get a better moisture distribution this way.

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Re: Casing PH Question [Re: zeronio]
    #1521013 - 05/05/03 02:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I use a perforated polyprobylene bag to PC casings (I guess pillow case would be the same) - IMO you get a better moisture distribution this way.

Thanks, I spotted some of those while out for supplies today. I'll have to go back and pick some up.

-FB

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1521071 - 05/05/03 03:21 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wet pasturization of a ph adjusted casing mix in a pillow case submerged in hot water can indeed change the pH, because of the leaching factor of all the hot water & draining involved.

My foaf adjusts the moisture level & ph (with a probe type meter) with Hoffmans brand hydrated lime (in solution of water), adds crushed chicken egg or oyster shell as a long term buffering agent, then places casing mix in an autoclave bag, ties it (almost shut tight) with butchers twine, inserts a meat thermometer into the tie hole, slides it in an oven & bakes at 250 F, until the thermometer gets to the 165/ 180 F range.,

Then backs the oven dial off, to maintain the 165 / 180 F temp (on the meat thermometer) for 90 minutes.

Remove bag, remove thermometer, pull tie tight & allow to cool to room temp.

Once done, retest ph & moisture level (squeeze test) & adjust (if needed) & apply casing as needed. Foaf pasturizes compost, the same way.

It is about as "right on" as one can get.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Re: Casing PH Question [Re: SixTango]
    #1521156 - 05/05/03 04:42 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Sound good. I do have two questions. So adding lime after sterilization wouldn't be a contam problem? Also, you say you use a lime water solution, should my friend's buddy do this to ensure an accurate almost instant PH reading using a probe PH device in the casing mix? Thanks 6T!

-FB

Edited by FunkyBudah (05/05/03 04:45 AM)

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1521197 - 05/05/03 05:32 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sound good. I do have two questions. So adding lime after sterilization wouldn't be a contam problem? Also, you say you use a lime water solution, should my friend's buddy do this to ensure an accurate almost instant PH reading using a probe PH device in the casing mix? Thanks 6T! -FB

You say "STERIZATION". There is a BIG differance between that & Pasturization.

Which is it, you intend to use?

My foaf hydrates & adjusts ph before he pasturizes a casing mix.

Peat - verm - coir comes DRY. For use as a casing mix, you have to add water (moisture). To hydrate it to the right moisture capacity.

The SQUEEZE TEST. Add water until the mixture is hydrated to the degree that when you grab a handfull & give it a firm squeeze (firm = like squeezing a nice ass on a willing women) & the mixture only drips a drop or 2. That is the proper moisture range.

Two birds with one stone.

Add around 2 cups of lime to a gallon jug of water & shake it well. Use that "lime" water to hydrate the mix with & test ph while doing so, adding a bit, test,add more.

Once ph is where you want it (7.5 to 7.9), finish hydrating the mix to the squeeze test range, with regular water.

Be carefull with hydrated lime and/or lime water. Wear rubber gloves. This stuff will give your skin a burning sensation & long exposure, will irritate your skin badly. Needless to say, don't get it in your eyes, either.

Or hydrate the mix with regular water, then add dry hydrated lime powder to the mixture, a bit at a time, stir in & test, so on & so forth. Either way works.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

#1521214 - 05/05/03 05:55 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks a lot. It's great to have people willing to help, out of kindness and an interest in furthering their hobby. It's because of this site and the knowledge the people on it hold that my friend's buddy has been successful so far (no contams or roadblocks with 24 jars and 10 mycobags). He has soaked it all up and is confident in becoming a better mycologist. Hopefully he'll have some pics for ya in a couple weeks.

-FB

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

#1521219 - 05/05/03 06:00 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Cheers  :grin: 6T  :tongue: 

--------------------

InvisibleDrD525
what'shappening?!

#1579410 - 05/26/03 09:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the info 6T!

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Casing PH Question [Re: DrD525]
    #1580141 - 05/27/03 01:53 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey 6T-do you test and sdjust the ph level of your compost/animal dung/straw???

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

OfflineFunkyBudah
myco-wizard

Re: Casing PH Question [Re: jakeholman]
    #1580641 - 05/27/03 04:39 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

6T, just wanted you to know afoaf used the knowledge you provided and now have pins on his first casing, less than a week after casing 1 mycobag. Thanks, and he is trying to get a camera for flush pics.

-FB

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Mycobags, Oyster Shell, Peat, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation