Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: ]
    #1535575 - 05/09/03 08:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Insults are allowed on this forum now? Cool I didn't know the Be Nice policy was no longer enforced.

FUCK YOU DUDE!

You must understand what I am saying in my posts.... Why would I just define one god when people have given me tons of definitions, most of which are absurd in my opinion? God has multiple definitions - are you expecting somebody to list them all? You want a list of the gods we reject? You do understand that words can have multiple meanings, right? Why then are you continually insulting me and pretending I'm a moron who doesn't know what you're asking?

Define God? You define it - you made it up..... maybe the only reason there are people who don't believe in god is because nobody seems to be able to explain it

Are you trying to get to the point that a person who thinks they don't believe in God may actually believe in a God but they just hadn't heard that definition yet? People use the word God so liberally now there's no use in me saying I don't believe anymore

God is All

hooray ok then i'm a believer, but I think the archaic word "god" shouldn't be used for NEW ideas about how everything got here and what's going on

Let's take a look at conventional views of what God is:
www.dictionary.com
god
n.
God
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
A very handsome man.
A powerful ruler or despot.

well as I had said, most of these definitions I certainly don't like, however I do believe that very handsome men and powerful rulers exist..... so I'm a believer then right? wow and I didn't even know it. I'll be damned it was just a matter of getting the right definition

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (05/09/03 08:44 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Anonymous

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Strumpling]
    #1535602 - 05/09/03 08:52 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Why would I just define one god when people have given me tons of definitions, most of which are absurd in my opinion? God has multiple definitions - are you expecting somebody to list them all? You want a list of the gods we reject? You do understand that words can have multiple meanings, right? Why then are you continually insulting me and pretending I'm a moron who doesn't know what you're asking?

I didn't insult you, I simply made an observation. As far as I can tell, it still stands as a legitimate observation considering you still don't seem to have ascertained what my question was. I didn't ask you to list every possible definition of the word God that other people have, I simply asked what the word meant to you. If it means multiple things to you, I don't see why it would have been impossible to briefly summarize it. For something as incomprehensibly imposible to answer as you claim it is, no one else seemed to have such extreme difficulty explaining what the word meant to them. No one else was moved to derogatory remarks either, but hey, if you feel like you've expressed yourself, more power to ya.

Quote:

Define God? You define it - you made it up..... maybe the only reason there are people who don't believe in god is because nobody seems to be able to explain it

Maybe if this thread was about what God meant to me I would have named it "My definition of God".

Quote:

Are you trying to get to the point that a person who thinks they don't believe in God may actually believe in a God but they just hadn't heard that definition yet?

I wasn't trying to get to any point. I was simply interested in hearing exactly what the ideas and concepts of God are that people don't believe in.

Quote:

God is All

hooray ok then i'm a believer, but I think the archaic word "god" shouldn't be used for NEW ideas about how everything got here and what's going on

I wouldn't say these alternative ideas of God are anything "NEW".

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1535616 - 05/09/03 08:58 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

There are too many contradictory ideas about what God is for me to attempt a "general" definition, rofl..

"I don't see why it would have been impossible to briefly summarize it." lol briefly summarize every definition of God into one brief summary? what a useless mess that would be

bye man I'm completely wasting my time talking to you, as are you to me.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

Edited by Strumpling (05/09/03 09:01 PM)

Anonymous

#1535626 - 05/09/03 09:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Later.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1535646 - 05/09/03 09:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think anyone is having trouble with the question. but maybe some are having trouble with the answers?

It's a legitimate question - asking non-believers to define God.

But many of them won't be able to. and even if they do, it will be some meaningless, sunday-school definition of "God" that they rejected in high school. The really honest atheists might say "I can't define God, but WHATEVER it is, I see no evidence for it, so I don't believe it." To leave something undefined isn't 'retarded'... It's better than rejecting an "inaccurate" definition. don't you think?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1535657 - 05/09/03 09:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm gunna give this another shot, as I'm astounded you still don't understand what I'm trying to say:

Since I don't subscribe to any particular religion, I can't "just pick a definition" because I'd be leaving shit out, a fact you poked me with earlier. I can't group them all into one thing either because some definitions of God contradict others. Do you see how somebody who doesn't subscribe to any particular belief would have difficulty in attempting to define what the word "God" means? The word God itself doesn't define anything for somebody who doesn't subscribe to a specific definition. It would be like trying to define the word "is," which is no fun.

"God may be beyond words, but denying the existance of something you don't even have a concept of in your head remains absolutely retarded"

I guess I'm trying to say there are TOO MANY concepts of it in my head from too many definitions for me to accept a legitimate existence of "God."

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (05/09/03 09:23 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1535702 - 05/09/03 09:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"The English word GOD, to me, represents the concept of infinity and eternity. Love, light and pure truth. A higher awareness--THE highest awareness. The being of everything. A great, all-encompassing spirit which all of us are a part of."

Sorry - non-believers only.

"If I were to define 'god' it would look a little something like this:
god - any person, object, event, concept, or abstract figure in which a person or persons believe(s) to hold a signifigant or all-encompassing understanding, control, and/or supernatural omnipotence over every or particular facet(s) of reality.
God - anything defined as 'god' with the additional attribute of being sentient."

"'God' to me is every living soul in this universe and every dimension. God is contiousness. We are god. The 'larger' God I have seen while tripping- It is a massive ball of contiousness, or soul (living light) composed of many others. Other souls were traveling into it and some out of it. While I was inside it, my contiousnesss melded with it and it felt like pure bliss (ego-death). I then knew without a doubt what 'God' is."

""God" is consciousness, everything living thing..creators and created..combined. This constantly evolves."

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1535710 - 05/09/03 09:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

lol I think some of the "believers" and "non-believers" are way closer to sharing the same beliefs than they may understand - the labeling of one's beliefs with the word "God" automatically turns me off though because it requires way more conversation to find out which God they're talking about - if there were separate names for all these ideas I think there would be some surprises when we saw who fit in where..

--------------------

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Loc: East Coast
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: JohnnyRespect]
    #1535775 - 05/09/03 10:39 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The typical Christian thought is that man is made in Gods image. I think it is reversed. I think that MAN made GOD in our image of what we wanted him to be. After all, wouldn't primative man desire a God to pray to? To sacrifice to? To send our dead relatives to? A deity that explaned the entire existance, from every creature to the farthest reaches of our universe, and made us, made man, the center of it? His "children"? And with a being so "wonderful" and powerful, is it any wonder that modern man continues this warm, fuzzy delusion?

jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: gnrm23]
    #1535780 - 05/09/03 10:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

michael valentine smith noted that with earth people's words, the long words are easily defined; it is the short words that are slippery...
~
and after a series of educatinal adventures on this 3rd planet from the sun, an agry mob of humans killed this phoney messiah for telling them that they were god, just as much as he was, and as was every grokking thing...
and his friends gather the remains of their beloved friend, made soup and shared it between them...
and michael finished up his  last bit of business on the earth, and went to the human part of the afterlife place to start straightening things out up there... 

I grok you completely :smile:

One of the best books ever written.
Jr

--------------------
As I felt the soft cool mud squish between my toes, I thought, Man, these are not very good shoes!

Anonymous

#1535916 - 05/10/03 12:02 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lol I think some of the "believers" and "non-believers" are way closer to sharing the same beliefs than they may understand - the labeling of one's beliefs with the word "God" automatically turns me off

I think you're right. I'm sorry I was a dick to you. After your last posts I see more like what you are saying.

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1536003 - 05/10/03 12:50 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I do agree with Strumpling.  I can't define what  I don't belive in.  I just don't belive in anything that is god-like :smile:  Anything relating to dieties, I should say, I don't believe in. I don't "not belive" in Yahweh, Allah, Shiva, etceteras, it's the entier lot of them.

Jr

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1536276 - 05/10/03 03:19 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"I think you're right."

heh I don't know about being "right" about anything but defining God (edit:added italics :tongue: )without context is definitely a difficult task for me :wink:

"I'm sorry I was a dick to you."

Apology certainly accepted.. I think I took most of it a bit more passionately at first than you would have intended lol

"After your last posts I see more like what you are saying."

Excellent - I realized I was getting clouded and forced myself to kind of settle down and focus on articulating the data I was trying to express.. With certain topics I can get a bit frustrated as everybody saw heh but hey I'm just a small primate :wink: :blush: I apologize as well.

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (05/10/03 03:21 AM)

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
    #1536377 - 05/10/03 04:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Why must God argue with itself? We should all just externalize our minds and link them together, I think we would function more harmoniously that way. Okay who has the etheric dagger?

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Adamist]
    #1536412 - 05/10/03 05:17 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

stop calling this God :mad: :cool: :grin:

--------------------

OfflineJohnnyRespect
Nomadic Wanderer
    #1536816 - 05/10/03 12:50 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think that the definition of God should certaintly include, and be recognized as such, that includes a diety somewhere. If "we" are all something, or our consciousness is "something", lets not call it God, just to cut down on the confusion? Shall we?

Jr

--------------------

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1536907 - 05/10/03 01:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I still like my answer. God is what humans use to seperate themselves from other animals.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #1536924 - 05/10/03 02:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

God is what humans use to seperate themselves from other animals.

That's a very interesting idea ChiefThunderbong.

Clearly humans are different from other animals, and all pre-scientific worldviews explained this by postulating special relationships between humans and the various gods that were supposed to be in charge of running the universe.

No other animals seem to have created any similar metaphysics as far as we know. So humans are special after all. And our separation from the other animals remains to be explained. Why are the other animals not like us?

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1537101 - 05/10/03 03:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Why are the other animals not like us?

Now that is an interesting question right there. Personally I feel it has more to do with luck than anything else. Monkeys started to walk upright, and then continued on to develop larger brains. What really gave us the edge over other animals was our ability to make and use tools. Shit man, I don't know....we really could start a whole new thread with this.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Define God - For Nonbelievers [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #1537124 - 05/10/03 04:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe we have better developed chakras as well?

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder