Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoe
I Eat Children

Loc: Florida
Drying out mushrooms
    #1519929 - 05/04/03 05:13 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, once my friend's mushrooms are done, he wants to know which way to dry them. He has a dehydrator, but it's lowest setting is 95 degrees. Would 95 degrees be alright to dry the mushrooms at without harming the potency too much? If he cant use his dehydrator to dry them, he can use dessicants, but he would prefer to use his dehydrator. Thanks. :smirk:

--------------------
Many nice things suck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Drying out mushrooms [Re: moe]
    #1519984 - 05/04/03 05:33 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like you have the dehydrator shown below.

The temp control on those can be as much as 20% OFF. If it is OFF -- towards the HIGH side...........it is to HOT.

Test with a thermometer & check it.

80 F & dry air is preferable.  If it is off on the HOT end. Remove base (one screw) & unscrew the screw that leads to the heating element (90 second job).

Then, dry them in it (without heat). After they get leather like, replace screw in heating element & run on low setting...... about 10 minutes --- feel shrooms......... if not yet cracker dry...........run another 10 minutes............ so on & so forth.

Once shrooms are cracker dry........vaccum seal....... so they stay that way.

(sidebar - my foaf installed off/on toggle into the heating element wire -- in the American Harvest Dehydrators - he has).

6T :tongue: 

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlinedizzim
Born Again Head
Re: Drying out mushrooms [Re: SixTango]
    #1520174 - 05/04/03 06:58 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I keep hearing that fan drying is the way to go as it preserves the potency better than heat drying. I know someone who lays the mushies on some dry rice and point a fan at it for 2 days.....works like a charm.

dizz

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Drying out mushrooms [Re: dizzim]
    #1520244 - 05/04/03 07:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I keep hearing that fan drying is the way to go as it preserves the potency better than heat drying.  I know someone who lays the mushies on some dry rice and point a fan at it for 2 days.....works like a charm. dizz 

Heat is RELATIVE......... to their natural enviro........... around 80 - 86 F & it does no harm.

Pointing a fan & blowing air -- WILL NOT get them CRACKER DRY -- even on a rice bed.

Consider the RH of the air....... blowing past them.

If iRH  is HIGH................ it is IMPOSSIBLE for fan drying alone.....to do the "cracker dry" job.  :wink:
6T.......... :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflinelnfectedMushroom
Stranger

Loc: Northeastern United State...
    #1520419 - 05/04/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Another way to dry them is to get some calcium chloride (Damp rid) and put it on a rag on wire mesh inside an airtight container, above that have another level of wire mesh with the mushrooms on it. Make sure the mushroom isnt touching the calcium chloride. Also, be sure to laeve some room at the bottom of the container for water to collect. This is usually for the small scale cultivator, but can be modified to fit large quantities. I would try the dehydrator first though.

--------------------

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: Drying out mushrooms [Re: lnfectedMushroom]
    #1520437 - 05/04/03 08:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

and dont bother with damp rid because ice melt that says calcium chloride on the container does the exact same job and 4L was 6 bucks i think.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Offlinemoe
I Eat Children

Loc: Florida
Re: Drying out mushrooms [Re: jakeholman]
    #1523053 - 05/05/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

So can i use the dehydrator at 95 degrees without harming the potency too too much?

--------------------
Many nice things suck.

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

#1523286 - 05/05/03 09:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

afoaf wouldnt-why would you when you can disconnect the heat element?

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies