Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWapo
journeyman
cased rye on perlite * 1
    #1519599 - 05/04/03 02:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Helloe this is my first post on this forum. Im a novice grower and have never succesfully flushed. Ive tried twice on perlite with straw but the straw was too wet and it started smelling real foul and i only got a few really sick mushrooms that i had to throw out. My best results came from some pint jars of rye i had colonized and forgot about. After a month of not looking at them i spotted mushrooms growing all over on the sides. I didnt eat those as well cause they were covered in this white web and i though it might be some contam so i thhrough them in the backyard with all the grain and all and added some wood chips. I got many pins from it but by the time they were coming up snails would get at them at night. I spent many drunken nights in my backyard with a flashlight stomping out snails. Well that was last year this summer i wanna grow with some results.

So i got my agar petri plate tek down reeal good I can grow out beautiful plates and transfer them to rye jars with minimal contam. I pride myself on my sterile technique because i get very little contam, if i do its mostly mold and i can isolate it to a dirty tool or my 3 yr old print thats beeen used about 7 times. Ok so when i get my jars grown out i was thinking of using them as spawn to more grain or just make enough jars so i dont have to spawn more. I dont have wide mouth jars so i wont be makeing cakes and i dont really want to. I have a round 16in container. I'll fill that with perlite(h2o-h2o2mix), spoon out the grain colonized grain from the jars and sort of form one big even cake covering the entire container. Let that regen and incubate then case it with peat/verm/lime.

What do you think can i put the grain directly on the perlite? Should i leave an inch space around the sides of the container not covered with grain so the perlite could humidify the air? Tell me im anxious of your experiences with perlite and grain not made in cakes but just leveled.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: cased rye on perlite [Re: Wapo]
    #1519649 - 05/04/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

do u even know the purpose of perlite? it's used to humidify the fruiting chamber not as a soil additive like vermiculite which is added to soil and mixes to hold water. perlite just makes sure the enviroment is very humid around 99-100% RH. your scrupulous technique may be nice and all but you need to educate yourself on the basics and use of the FAQ to undnerstand the growing technique and why certain things are used.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineWapo
journeyman
Re: cased rye on perlite [Re: socratesmind]
    #1519666 - 05/04/03 02:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

what did i write that implied i would be using perlite as a soil additive.
FYI i did read the FAQ in this site and on erowid and i found many individual sites with info on perlite for growing. And i am versed well in the use of FAQ.

I wanted to know from people with first hand experience who use perlite and rye if what i have described will work and not get water logged or properly humidified.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#1519693 - 05/04/03 03:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

. I have a round 16in container. I'll fill that with perlite(h2o-h2o2mix), spoon out the grain colonized grain from the jars and sort of form one big even cake covering the entire container. Let that regen and incubate then case it with peat/verm/lime.

This implies that the bottom layer you'd have would be perlite? why would u want to do this why not have a casing container to seperate the perlite. as most people know perlite isn't that clean and can develop contams in it so best to seprate it and keep your rye in a tub inside the bigger tub using perlite as your humidity regulator. but sincee you read the faq and know that when doing casings dont need that much humidity when fruiting. so i dont think it will work well. but it might work. u should have started with cakes you could have learned alot there.

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineWapo
journeyman
    #1519707 - 05/04/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

In the FAQ it says that some people put their cakes directly on the perlite and some put lids betweeen the perlite and cakes. It says that in 2nd or 3rd flushes they get rid of lids and put cakes directly on perlite to get more moisture so perlite is not only used for humidification but also as a supply of water for the cakes.

I think ill get a 14in pizza tray with holes and put that on the perlite in my 16in container the 2 incesh along the sides of perlite should humidify the air and the pizza tray should stop the grain from gettin overly wet at the bottom what do you think?

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

#1519961 - 05/04/03 05:24 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

you also said your not doing cakes your doing grains which is different and falls under the casings section of the FAQ. the pizza tray idea should work but are u going to use a casing layer or ?

--------------------

OfflineWapo
journeyman
    #1520027 - 05/04/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

im going to case it with with peat/verm/lime nuked for ten min ive read that cubes dont need the active bacetria so i wanna stay on the safe side

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1520184 - 05/04/03 07:00 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Placing cakes on perlite really just helps them absorb a little water as a side effect and its convenient. It isn't really advisable. Putting colonized rye onto a layer of perlite is a bad bad idea, its not the same at all.

Get yourself some aluminum cake trays from the grocery store. You can't put much rye onto a pizza tray, its not a container just a surface. You want a tray with sides no less then 1 inch deep. After putting the rye into the tray, cover with plastic wrap and let sit a day or so until mycelium starts growing again. Put these trays onto the perlite and case with your moist peat/verm/lime mixture after removing the plastic wrap. Fan several times a day and you will have many mushrooms in short order.

OfflineWapo
journeyman
Re: cased rye on perlite [Re: calicyco]
    #1521007 - 05/05/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yeah ok that sounds like a good idead thanks )

OfflineWapo
journeyman
    #1525581 - 05/06/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

do you think that i can put the casing on right after i put the grain in the containers and then cover it with plastic put it into the incubator and wait a day or so, so the mycelium will recover and grow into the casing a little before i put it into the terrarium and initiate fruiting temp? Or does it matter at all if the mycelium grows into the casing before you initiate fruiting? From what i have read in paul's book he says that mycelium should show through the casing before you do fruiting.
Since im not using the PF tek and im not gunna put the jars in light to initiate fruiting then case them and put them in a terrarium, what should i do?

What is the biggest factor in fruiting is it the light exposure or is it the temp and humidity drop? Paul also says in his book that during primordia formation you should keep the humidity same as during veg growth. Does that mean that i shouldnt turn on my filtrated air exchange until i see pins to keep the humidity high? Or should i turn on my filtrated air exchange as soon as i put the tray into the terrarium? Maybe i can wait for the tray to show pins then case it and put it into the terraium? Or case it cover with plastic wrap induce primordia while still wrapped then put it into terrarium with air exchange? Or as i before mentioned case it wrap it wait a day or so and dont give it time to peek through the casing at all and put it into the tank? Please give me insight. Thanks!

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Re: cased rye on perlite [Re: Wapo] * 1
    #1526317 - 05/06/03 11:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

its a combination of all things the fresh air, light and the temperature drop and also. the huumidity just says lower beccause your casing layer is holding moisture for them as well as your air. but u should case em and apply casing layer. once you see the myc poke thru initiate fruiting (air exchanges, light,temp drop 70F) and wait up to 2 weeks before u start seeing primordia. also these initial myc spots that poke thru the casing layer you should patch with some more hydrated casing material thats been nuked as well to even out your pinset to get a better/more even flush. this is ALL covered in the FAQ between grains/casings

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix