Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: what is god? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1520206 - 05/04/03 09:10 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Collective Life is God. how's that one :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Anonymous

Re: what is god? [Re: World Spirit]
    #1520225 - 05/04/03 09:19 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

from the judeo-christian standpoint, what is God?

Anonymous

Re: what is god? [Re: ]
    #1520273 - 05/04/03 09:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

?

God is a concept, by which we measure, our pain.

John Lennon

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1520292 - 05/04/03 09:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

God is Love
Love is Blind
God is Blind

Anonymous

#1520387 - 05/04/03 10:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

you cannot say that something doesn't exist unless you can define it. then you can say that a certain thing, defined by certain terms, does not exist.

i can say that flying pigs do not exist. the definition of flying pigs is straightforward and consistent from person to person. we can all agree for the definition of 'flying pig' to mean a pig that flies by it's own means, and we can see that this does not exist. (we still cannot PROVE that flying pigs do not exist, but you get the idea).

to say that GOD does not exist, you must define God. by the definition you give God, perhaps God doesn't exist. if you think that the word 'God' means the literal description of a personified, sentient entity that created the universe and watches over us, then perhaps you can say that 'that' God doesn't exist.

there is something here bigger than any definition, known by many different names by many people, and it certainly does exist. some people call it God.

if 'god' doesn't exist by your definition, all that means is that your definition is wrong.

Edited by mushmaster (05/04/03 11:03 PM)

Anonymous

#1520459 - 05/04/03 11:02 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

you cannot say that something doesn't exist unless you can define it. then you can say that a certain thing, defined by certain terms, does not exist.

i define god as a figment of our emotions. faith leads us to believe and to believe is to be content... living forever, which is the underlying reason we define god. can you believe in god and not an afterlife? most wouldn't or couldn't because faith cuddles the ego, ensuring it will never die, faith and god is synonomous with an afterlife.....take away the feelings of faith(afterlife), and the notion of god is lost. find god in creation, not in hope.

Anonymous

#1520464 - 05/04/03 11:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

were you raised a christian or jew?

Anonymous

#1520467 - 05/04/03 11:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

"i define god as a figment of our emotions."

bzzzzzzzzzzzz. keep trying.

Anonymous

#1520473 - 05/04/03 11:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

bzzzzzzzzzzzz. keep trying.

ok. god exists to make you feel good.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #1520474 - 05/04/03 11:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

If you'd read his post and thought about what he said, you'd be bzzzzzzzzzing yourself. Or maybe you did understand it, and that's why you're afraid?

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1520475 - 05/04/03 11:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Anonymous

#1520492 - 05/04/03 11:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

ok...

you say that 'god' is something we create with our emotions to make ourselves feel good. this is your definition of 'god'.

then you go on to say that 'god' does not exist. does 'something we create with our emotions to make ourselves feel good' not exist?

by your definition of god, god is a very real thing.

i think what you mean by your 'definition' is not a definition at all, but an explanation for a false veiw.

do you see what i mean? it's kindof a contradiction to define 'god' as something that we create in our minds to make ourselves feel good (by this definition, a very real thing) and then say that it doesn't exist.

for instance, if i define dreaming as something that takes place in our minds while we sleep, i cannot say that 'dreams' are fake. though they are only figments of our mind, by this definition, they are real.

what's your definition of 'god'?

Edited by mushmaster (05/04/03 11:18 PM)

Anonymous

#1520506 - 05/04/03 11:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

if i define peter pan as 'simply a character in a children's book', by this definition, peter pan does exist. there is indeed a character named peter pan in a children's story.

if i define peter pan as an actual living boy who flies around an actual place called never never land with a real flying, pixie dust-carrying nymph named tinkerbell and the lost boys fighting real pirates, by this definition, peter pan does not exist...

it's on this principle that i find a contradiction in your definition of god and statement that god doesn't exist. i think you've got a more suitable definition, and i'm just wondering what it is.

Edited by mushmaster (05/04/03 11:30 PM)

Anonymous

#1520541 - 05/04/03 11:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

do you see what i mean? it's kindof a contradiction to define 'god' as something that we create in our minds to make ourselves feel good (by this definition, a very real thing) and then say that it doesn't exist.

the concept that god is there for our egos defines the fallacy of god, therefore, he does not exist in reality. i've said there might be a creator, but a god that is beyond something that guarantees an afterlife. the egotistical god is the one we manifest for self benefit, which is the home of many believers.

i'm sorry if i got off-topic, but i was speaking of god in the scope of human thought and it is not consistent with a concrete definition.

Anonymous

#1520574 - 05/04/03 11:53 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

the concept that god is there for our egos defines the fallacy of god, therefore, he does not exist in reality.

there we go. that's what i was looking for.

this defines a 'false view' of God.

however, just because some people hold a false view of what God is, does this necessarily mean that God does not exist? just because some people are wrong about God, and have a simplistic, ego-feeding definition of God in their minds, does this mean that God does not exist outside of this narrow definition?

their 'God' does not exist. this we both agree on. but this is no proof of the non-existance of God.

i've said there might be a creator, but a god that is beyond something that guarantees an afterlife.

i think you may have left a word out somewhere (specifically, a 'not'). that sentence doesn't make sense.

were you raised a certain religion?

if you had to define your spiritual beliefs, what would you say?

Edited by mushmaster (05/05/03 12:00 AM)

Anonymous

#1520619 - 05/05/03 12:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

just because some people are wrong about God, and have a simplistic, ego-feeding definition of God in their minds, does this mean that God does not exist outside of this narrow definition?

yes, but where is he? he can't be proven, and all we have to justify him is existence, therefore all that exists can be interpreted as god, but show me someone who fervently believes in god but does not have a egotistical view of him...it can't exist. that is why i applied a general statement that god does not exist.

were you raised a certain religion?

i was sent to christian indocrination, but hardly "raised", i preferred daydreaming during sermons and drawing during confirmation.

if you had to define your spiritual beliefs, what would you say?

i don't know what spirituality means, but i live my life according to strict personal morales and a skeptic view of everything that cannot be thought out by reason and logic.

Anonymous

#1520645 - 05/05/03 12:16 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

in saying "Him" you imply that your definition of the 'God' which does not exist is the literal interpretation of the christian idea of a personified, sentient entity, who created the universe and man in his image.

by this definition, i too would refute the existance of God.

coming from a christian background, for a long time, this was my definition of God, and i considered myself an atheist.

i now see that this doesn't mean that God does not exist, only that that definition is wrong. it only means "god is not... (fill in blank)", not "god is not".

Anonymous

#1520657 - 05/05/03 12:20 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

have you ever eaten mushrooms?

Anonymous

#1520669 - 05/05/03 12:24 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yes, why do you ask?

Anonymous

#1520693 - 05/05/03 12:31 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i tried to steer away from a certain religion when i personified god. i referred to god in the egotistical sense, which can be applied to any religion/god/belief.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies