Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleScarabbeetlebrain
Stranger
Lipstick Mold Trouble
    #15180182 - 10/05/11 07:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I gave in and made an account here because I am in need of some help! Somehow I keep getting Lipstick Mold contam in my jars. It is noticeable the day after injection and it is always at the injection site. I have started all over three times with the same results. I read here that lipstick mold can come from old wooden cabinets which I have so I bleached everything, boiled everything, used alcohol and a lighter for sterilization, and injected my jars in the bathroom away from the cabinets. This is the third pair of jars to get contaminated and I am getting anxious. (This is my first time growing and I haven't even eaten any). I have two liquid culture jars which are doing beautifully. Could it be coming from these anyway? I used both jars in separate verm jars. Does anyone have any ideas as to how they keep getting contaminated (I'm guessing spores are flying all over my house) and what I can do? Thanks a bunch.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

Re: Lipstick Mold Trouble [Re: Scarabbeetlebrain]
    #15181983 - 10/05/11 03:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Since the contamination started at the injection sites odds are your innoculant is contaminated. You need to try a new syringe or liquid culture cause it sounds like yours are contaminated.

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: Lipstick Mold Trouble [Re: Mycjunky]
    #15183717 - 10/05/11 09:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Does it change color from white to pink, to cherry red, and finally to dull orange?

Lipstick is sometimes mistaken for pink mold. And it fits the time line you mention. Lipstick is rare and a slower grower. It does spread via air and like fats.

Gonna need more info. What is your LC made of? What are you inoculating your LC into? Have you been using the same LC everytime you have seen this contam?

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15184513 - 10/06/11 12:23 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What are you using as a substrate? There are some grains that will change colors when colonized.

--------------------

Stranger
Re: Lipstick Mold Trouble [Re: Kizzle]
    #15185154 - 10/06/11 07:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, it is for sure lipstick mold. It is very pretty as far as mold goes, but just not what I am looking to grow! haha. I cant seem to find any real information about it either. I think I have figured out the problem though. I let my contaminated jars grow some and I noticed that it is generally in this order: the first injection is white, the second is pink, the third is larger and red, and the last is much larger and red. I think spores are sticking to the needle as soon as I pull it out, as careful as I am trying to be. I'm going to have to make a glove box. Boy, I'm glad I am moving soon. Thanks mushrooms for showing me how mold infested my house is! And thanks to you guys for answering my question. To answer yalls, the LC is in jars of water and raw honey. It looks very healthy. I have been using both jars each time, making two cake jars. The substrate is fine vermiculite and ground brown rice.

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

#15186203 - 10/06/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You don't need a glovebox you can simply use a sponge and some iso alcohol to make sure the needles sterile. Just wet the sponge with alcohol then inject through the sponge so the alcohol sterilizes the needle.

Stranger
    #15186325 - 10/06/11 12:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, how clever and simple. Thank you for that suggestion, I will try that.

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

#15186490 - 10/06/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mycjunky said:
You don't need a glovebox you can simply use a sponge and some iso alcohol to make sure the needles sterile. Just wet the sponge with alcohol then inject through the sponge so the alcohol sterilizes the needle.

Alcohol doesn't sterilize, it sanitizes. Alcohol does nothing to kill the mold spores inside of a needle.

Quote:

Every time I see someone talk of wiping a flame sterilized needle with an alcohol soaked rag or sponge, I tell them just how dumb that is.  I can't catch it every time though, there's just too many 'tards.

RR

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lipstick Mold Trouble [Re: Wing]
    #15186716 - 10/06/11 01:51 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Could still help keep mold spores from contaminating the injection hole area :shrug:

Stranger
    #15186955 - 10/06/11 02:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Plus the mold spores are collecting on the outside of the needle, not the inside

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

#15186991 - 10/06/11 02:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:doublefacepalm:

There would be no reason to flame sterilize needles if alcohol worked like people think it does. It SANITIZES. You want it STERILIZED. Period.

Mold spores DO get inside the needle. That's why we flame them. Sponges hold all kinds of nasty stuff inside them. To stick a flame sterilized needle through one, even soaked in alcohol is like sticking your clean penis is a pile of feces.

Can someone else chime in and correct this wave of misinformation? LOL

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#15187884 - 10/06/11 05:45 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Its obvious the mold is inside the syringe. It sucks, but you have to realize that. If you keep using that syringe, you will keep getting mold. Also if you got your syringe from a non shroomery sponsor, chances are you got a bunk syringe. Order from the vendors here on the shroomery. Also flame sterilizing is easy, and a glove box cost 5 dollars to make. Use both, and get yourself a new syringe.

--------------------
Grain Jar to Homemade Mycobag Tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10954174

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15193310 - 10/07/11 08:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

winged_1 said:
:doublefacepalm:

There would be no reason to flame sterilize needles if alcohol worked like people think it does. It SANITIZES. You want it STERILIZED. Period.

Mold spores DO get inside the needle. That's why we flame them. Sponges hold all kinds of nasty stuff inside them. To stick a flame sterilized needle through one, even soaked in alcohol is like sticking your clean penis is a pile of feces.

Can someone else chime in and correct this wave of misinformation? LOL

No a sponge probably isn't the best thing to use, but it seems reasonable that if you're not using a glovebox spores are going to be landing on needle AFTER you flame it and definitely going to be landing on the jar. So it might help to have something soaked in alcohol like a paper towel covering the area while you're doing the inoculation. I didn't mean to suggest it as a replacement for flaming or to suggest anything really I was just commenting on his idea.

Stranger
    #15199453 - 10/09/11 09:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Of course mold spores can get inside of a syringe, but that is not my issue. My issue is with spores landing on the needle while I am inoculating a jar. Of course I flamed it before starting the jar but not between all four holes. Read my second post. I tried the sponge trick (brand new sponge, of course) and it worked. No contam. Awesome, thanks for that suggestion.

OfflineMycjunky
Stranger

#15214559 - 10/12/11 03:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

winged_1 said:
Quote:

Mycjunky said:

Alcohol doesn't sterilize, it sanitizes. Alcohol does nothing to kill the mold spores inside of a needle.

Quote:

Every time I see someone talk of wiping a flame sterilized needle with an alcohol soaked rag or sponge, I tell them just how dumb that is.  I can't catch it every time though, there's just too many 'tards.

RR

All I know is I've used alcohol in that way for years and it has worked with 100% success. I also wipe down used tubs with alcohol to clean them good after they've been used and it seems to be successful at killing the mold otherwise tubs that had mold in them would have had mold in them on the next run if it didn't kill it. I've always used about 50-70% iso alcohol though because higher percents dry to fast to kill everything.

I'd like to see some real evidence that alcohol does not kill mold and mold spores your just giving opinions and I've seen first hand that it works. I'll admit I doubt the needle going through the sponge that quick gives the alcohol enough time to kill much but the flaming does the most of it and I've found it to be more effective then other methods if you don't have a good glovebox or flowhood. I'm not saying don't flame sterilize I'm just saying that method worked for a long time for me before I got my flowhood with very rare contams.

Edited by Mycjunky (10/12/11 03:24 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules