Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePrimalSoup
hyperspatial illuminations
Other User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: maug] * 2
    #15469593 - 12/05/11 01:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting that they started fruiting early, but from the standpoint of just getting spores out into the world it makes sense.  No potency, then, that's another point on the plot I'm drawing in my mind. :thumbup:

Almost any time I've tried to contain or remove contams on subs that are about to fruit it's failed in some way.  But I don't recall offhand any big difference in the potency in that case. 

Still, if the myc is stressed as it's going into fruiting it stands to reason that it's going to spend less energy on nonessentials (I assume :strokebeard:) like making strange and wonderful alkaloids.

:peace:PS

--------------------

if you stand too close to the machine it'll start to eat you
Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: PrimalSoup] * 1
    #15469612 - 12/05/11 01:25 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

So by keeping covered after colonizing is consolidating? And if you let it chill for a while it may produce more potent fruits?

As in holding off throwing into fruiting conditions after full colonization means potent fruit?

Just trying to get on the same page, because I find this to be an epicly informing read.

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Icesyn] * 1
    #15469788 - 12/05/11 02:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:  Yup.  That's the theory for experimentation and then (bhwahahaha!) exploitation.

--------------------

Primal's simple tested teks and projects: :awesomenod: Wheat Prep 2.0  Acidic Tea Tek  Potency Project! 

Edited by PrimalSoup (12/05/11 02:16 PM)

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: PrimalSoup] * 1
    #15470181 - 12/05/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maug said:
I had four 5 quart block contam, and they started fruiting before full colonization. I ended up with a pile of bunk. One more reason to just toss out the contams as soon as possible I guess.

Normally, I won't introduce fruiting conditions or dunk until it starts knotting.

I had a similar, but different, experience a couple months ago. I was on the second flush of a tub and being very lax with everything. I was trying to see how lax I could be and still get away with decent results since I knew I wouldn't be able to tend to my fungi during the holiday season because I'm always super busy this time of year.

Anyway, I picked the first flush and rip the substrate up by twisting and pulling and doing an overall shitty job in my rush to get things done. Trich took hold on some ripped up areas within 2 days. The second flush started popping up at the same time.

I'm thinking the contam urged the tub to fruit ASAP as a last chance to spread the love another generation. I fruited the tub in my garage and the flush was pretty weak. Weak enough that I ate 8 grams and had a level 2 trip. I'm used to 3-5 gram level 3-4 trips.

So I surmise that a flush from a "last ditch effort" may in fact put propagation to the forefront and place secondary processes to the back of the line. It's kinda hard to prove because even from an isolate, flushes can differ in potency depending on available nutes, water, environment, etc.

Now that I've expressed that theory it makes even more sense that longer consolidation can place secondary processes to the forefront and place propagation further back in the line.

We're still in the theory stage, but I believe PrimalSoup is on to something here.

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mars
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Wing] * 1
    #15470336 - 12/05/11 04:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

:eek: Winged_1 Plzz tell me no squirrels were harmed in the making of that sig...

:laugh2:

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

Invisiblemaug
 User Gallery

Loc: inside you
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Wing] * 1
    #15470788 - 12/05/11 06:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The two tubs that actually gave decent yields had the least contam. The very worst contam was trich, and it went through the whole cake. I only got 30g fresh from 5 quarts, but the interesting thing is that the mushrooms started to release their spores about 1 week before the trich. After the first couple mushroom released their spores, the rest followed suit. I believe RogerRabbit said that full colonization is the number 1 pinning trigger (not condition), and that a heavy contam will trigger this. I ate 150g fresh, but it felt like maybe 30-40g from an average flush.

--------------------
I think nighttime is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction. -Calvin and Hobbes

Offlinesgfcchamber
Stranger
    #15564384 - 12/23/11 09:15 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Just wanted to pop in and say that I've been following this thread without so much as a peep so far, so I figured it was time to chime in.

After reading this thread and the multiple threads linked to from it going over the same hypothesis, I figured I'd give it a try.

I let 12 half pint BRF/verm/gypsum/coffee water/ cakes consolidate for 3 full weeks on the nose & they were just dunked for 24 (closer to 25 actually) hours and placed into their SGFC yesterday evening.  I'll report back on my findings.

--------------------

========================================================================================
Mushroom / Bulk Substrate Calculator <- Tells you exactly how much of what ingredients you need for any substrate for any container!
Here is the corresponding shroomery thread: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/15656577

Easy Bulk Substrate Pasteurizer - Hands Free Operation
========================================================================================

OfflineDwight_K_Schrute
Asst. to the Regional Manager
Male

Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: sgfcchamber] * 1
    #15564650 - 12/23/11 10:09 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Very interested, keeping any eye on this and going to start some tests.

--------------------
All above posts are complete fiction.
Dunder Mifflin

OfflineHydra45
-
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Dwight_K_Schrute] * 1
    #15565112 - 12/24/11 12:25 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My 3 favs [pe uncut, ape, treasure coast] Always take longer to fruit than the other ones i tried. They are also consistently more potent, 0.6-1.0 doses are the sweet spot for me.

Could temperatures potentially have a similar effect? Wouldn't the fruits mature slower in the mid/upper 60's than they would in the mid/upper 70's during light hours?

--------------------
--> Super Simple BULK CAKES <--

Watch this video. Ron Paul 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0GZznxMC14

OfflineMycoNewb
FunGuy

Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Hydra45] * 1
    #15606237 - 01/02/12 04:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i have had mutant PE blobs that grow super slow and keep on growing past the first flush and on into the end of the second flush. and when i harvest them a gram dry sends you off on a journey.  a long journey.  i def agree that the longer fruits take to mature the more potent they are.    that why i think wood lovers are so potent. their myc. has to metabolize the sub longer to produce fruits.

--------------------
I wish i was lost so that i could never find myself

I am not real.  Everything posted on this account was posted by gnomes

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: MycoNewb] * 1
    #15606450 - 01/02/12 04:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've had a mutant Ps Cyan strain (from heat shock) that I grew for quite a few years - it fruited on grain quite well at normal (cube type) temps without needing cold for pinning.  It was several times stronger than cubensis consistently, but it grew and fruited at about the same rate...

--------------------

Offlineamungus
Scag Baron
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: MycoNewb] * 1
    #15612931 - 01/03/12 10:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My P.E. blobs tend to be more potent then the second flush mushrooms.
The experience last longer for my friends and I anyway.
Its pretty consistent, 1.5 of the blobs will last about 8 hours
Where 1.5 of the second flush mushrooms will last maybe 5 or 6 hours.
I have a tub of P.E. going right now that consolidated longer then usual.
My tubs usually reached 100% in 10 or 11 days and start fruiting by day 14.
I let my tubs fruit on their own.
This time around the mycelium ripped through the substrate and finished colonizing at about day 8.
It started fruiting at around day 14,so it sat around about 6 days instead of the normal 3 or 4 days.

--------------------
:penis::penis:
"Seems so sick to the hypocrite norm Running their boring drills But we are an elite race of our own The stoners, junkies, and freaks" - Layne Staley

OfflineSan
Novice
Male User Gallery

Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: amungus] * 1
    #15613382 - 01/04/12 12:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Has anyone ever tried to prevent a fully colonized bit of substrate from pinning to achieve longer consolidation? It seems to be if you experience preemptive pinning then lowering the temperature and increasing CO2 would prevent it (next time that is).

This would of course only be necessary for species or strains that pin aggressively. Might be interesting to try.

--------------------
Actually not everyone was a noob.  Being a noob is a very new phenomenon.  Many people, the great majority in fact, were simply "beginners", "novices" or "new to mushroom growing".  Being a "noob" is reserved, and in fact created specifically for and by, the newer, much more lame generations coming about.

-Shpongle1

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: San] * 1
    #15615310 - 01/04/12 02:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I just leave it in GE. :thumbup:  It may want to pin, and it may put out a few snakey pins, but without FAE it can't support pinning.

--------------------

Offlinemuh
Stranger

#15639119 - 01/09/12 09:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

What does GE stand for?

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: muh] * 1
    #15639400 - 01/09/12 11:03 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

GE= Gas Exchange

InvisibleMe_Roy
Stranger
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: wildernessjunkie] * 1
    #15639589 - 01/09/12 11:59 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Could this be related to the problem of 'bunk' B+ batches?

The mycelium tears through the substrate, eager grower plunks it right into the FC, and it has no time to make the magic happen?

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: Me_Roy] * 1
    #15639628 - 01/09/12 12:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Me_Roy said:
Could this be related to the problem of 'bunk' B+ batches?

The mycelium tears through the substrate, eager grower plunks it right into the FC, and it has no time to make the magic happen?

This has been my suspicion for quite some time. Though I dont know if its founded yet.

OfflinePrimalSoup
Other User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Longer consolidation time leads to greater potency in first flush...and 2nd flush... [Re: wildernessjunkie] * 2
    #15639641 - 01/09/12 12:11 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hmm...  Since I've usually selected (on agar) for fast rhyzomorphic mycelium - with consistent good results - I'm not really seeing that (as an explanation for high/low/no potency).  But it could be. 

B+ (or any of a couple other well known fast colonizing strains I suppose) could be on the fast side of the equation (if there is one).  Impatient growers would select it because it grows fast and they would try to minimize the time to fruiting, yeah.  Disreputable spore sources have been know to ship a single strain no matter what people ordered.  And if they want to maximize their profit with quick turnaround, well, there ya go.

--------------------

Offlinejwalt420
Terpin master
Male User Gallery

#15646940 - 01/10/12 07:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract