Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: ncj]
    #1526967 - 05/07/03 10:08 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

http://216.156.126.178/art/apocalypse.jpg

many religions seem to be pointing to the same era of time for the end of the world

i dont really get freaked out by stuff like that usually, but it is sorta weird that all those religions more or less point to the same thing. just out of curiosity, who made that chart?

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemile69
wonderer/wanderer ૐ
 User Gallery

Loc: other side of the world
Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: entiformatie]
    #1527476 - 05/07/03 02:12 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

you seem pretty knowledgable on this subject....as well as some other people here. are there any books that you guys would recomend on this subject? though this isnt the first time ive heard of the theory this is defenately one of the more in depth, and interesting discussions. thanks for any help

OfflineBillowz
Fellow Shaman
Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: gir]
    #1528201 - 05/07/03 06:40 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

From what I have gathered 2012 is supposed to be some kind of climax point in the fractal of time. The earth is supposed to shift into the next dimension (5th or 6th, I cant remember) and our reality will lose its linearity. DNA upgrades are also supposed to happen!!

Well according to the law of One, we are currently in the 3rd dimension or density, we will be going to the 4th, 5th and 6th, 7 and 8 are eons beyond us at this point.

OfflineMolokoVelocet
thought criminal

Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: phalaris]
    #1544419 - 05/13/03 08:40 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

A lot of different subcultures and individuals have targeted the time around 2012-2013 as some sort of historical horizon line.

In the 1960s, there were futurists with think tanks that suggested there would be a major population crisis in the year 2013. Graphs of exponential population growth were published in the popular press (TIME Magazine, etc). They showed the global population curve going nearly straight up around 2012-2013 and the human "population explosion" or "the population bomb' reaching astronomical numbers, analogous to the kind of "critical mass" or "chain reaction" much on people's minds then during the cold war nuclear hysteria of the 1950s and 1960s.

The Mayan Calendar is a set of cycles within cycles, rolling against each other, making up some huge 144,000 year meta-cycle. Each time one of these cycles ends, supposedly, the "World" is destroyed and starts over again. The end of the current cycle, according to most archaeologists, is near the winter solstice of 2012 AD (December 21st, 2012 AD). Two of the people promoting that idea in different ways are Terence McKenna and Jose Arguelles.

Jose Arguelles is a new-age PhD heavily into the mayan calendar who's been promoting his ideas for a very long time and created the "Harmonic Convergence" event sometime around 1986 based on various things predicted by the Mayan Calendar. The Mayan Calendar is very good at prediting things like eclipses. Whether it's any good for predicting historical events remains to be seen. Arguelles finds all kinds of exotic patterns in the Mayan Calendar system and projects a lot of spiritual and social importance onto them.

Oddly, the number 144,000 also appears in the Bible in Revelations 7:4 as the number of people "chosen of the Lord". What this has to do with it all other than increasing the level apocalyptic hysteria associated with these things I have no idea.

Terence McKenna derived this odd "fractal wave" from the inter-symbol differences of an old chinese book called the I-Ching. The I Ching was intended as a divination technique which was concerned with time (the present moment, as well as seasonality/time of year) and with "Change" the sequence of events and cycles in nature and history. It was also concerned with matters of statecraft and leadership. The book is quite old and has several layers of material that have been added into it over time. Taoists and Confuscians have had a lot of influence on the I-Ching. The actual divination techniqe of stacking up Yin and Yang lines and using sticks or coins to "randomly" determine these lines may be quite ancient. Terence McKenna suggested that the I Ching is actually a cultural fossil of some earlier neolithic lunar calendar system. He also suggested that it might be some kind of science of time that the chinese discovered through examining history, meditation and looking at the nature of mind and the unfolding of evolution over time.

Terence McKenna did a lot of shrooms, and developed much of this idea while in the shroomic state. He says he asked the mushroom voices about all this and they essentially dictated these notions to him. The result is this "Fractal time wave of history" that supposedly forecasts "The influx of novelty into history". It's specific enough to be reduced to software and that software (TimeWave Zero) may still be floating around the web.

Anyway, This McKenna TimeWave theory suggests that history ends on December 21, 2012, due to the accelleration of historical change. One idea about this is that some sort of time machine will be invented that will disrupt linear history and the future will come crashing in all at once.

Another fairly credible idea like this is the notion of "The SIngularity" or "Technocalypse" where accellerating technology produces hyper-human artificial intelligences that further accellerate their own evolution. Sort of a hyper-moores-law scenario. Nanotechnology, Biotechnology and Cybernetics converge to create rapidly some unimaginablle future. Vernor Vinge is the science fiction author/scientist(?) promoting that idea. The outfit most heavily promoting and exploring Nanotechnology is The Foresight Institute run by K. Eric Drexler.

The gylph at the center of the Mayan Calendar is "Ollin" usually translated as "Motion" or "Earthquake" and it's ostensibly how the world cycle will come to an end. I think an interesting alternative interpretation for this terminal glyph is "Change". The world and history will be "destroyed" by change and something totally new will happen, but that's just a metaphor. I'm not a Singularity Fundamentalist or whatever.

There's also a bunch of people that call themselves posthumanists transhumanists and/or Extropians that you may find interesting. They think that we're all going to evolve into something far beyond human by merging with (or modifying ourselves via) technology. Extropians are into intelligence augmentation, physical immortality, uploading themselves, etc.

Links to this stuff at:
The Singularity
Foresight Institute (Nanotech)
TimeWave Zero "explanation"

Terence McKenna Talks - in MP3 format

TimeWave Zero software screen shots

General Stuff about Jose Arguelles "The Mayan Factor"

DieOff.com - population catastrophe theory

The Extropy Institute

Edited by MolokoVelocet (05/13/03 11:37 PM)

Offlineallseeingike
Male User Gallery

Loc: elgin ill-miami fl
Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: MolokoVelocet]
    #15955494 - 03/16/12 03:58 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:psychsplit:

OfflinepsilocybinjunkieM
relaxin
Male

Re: Can Someone Explain the Whole 2012 Theory? [Re: thelox]
    #15955723 - 03/16/12 03:58 PM (9 years, 1 month ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Don't resurrect old off topic posts.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience