Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS
    #15178610 - 10/04/11 09:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I created a virtual machine, and someone gave me a copy of server 2003 trial version. I created a domain controller with active directory, restarted the virtual machine for changes to be made accordingly, then when I restarted I got an error message

"active directory indexes failed" so I rebooted the virtual box in safe mode, or 'directory services restore mode' and I'm back into the virtual machine. my question is how do I restore active directory? back it up first, restore it? any idea on how to do that? And don't worry, this is a test server, but I have a friend with a real server, he used this windows server 2003 instead of a more stable back end server like linux or something. well but then I don't know what the front end of those free linux servers is, but I'll bet the back end is a good deal more reliable.

I told this guy I'd save him half a thousand or whatever a network consultant would charge by trying to fix whatever problems he'd have myself. yeah yeah yeah, disaster waiting to happen? well guess what I made a virtual server for myself, haven't done too well on it, but I promised this guy I wouldn't TOUCH his machine unless I tested out whatever needs to be done on MY PERSONAL server FIRST. any ideas? links? anything? THANKS

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #15183842 - 10/05/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Stay far far away from his server.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: magicbastard]
    #15184269 - 10/05/11 11:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hey thanks for that, maybe I could hire you to fix it for a large consulting fee then? :tongue:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: imachavel]
    #15185108 - 10/06/11 06:37 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
I told this guy I'd save him half a thousand or whatever a network consultant would charge by trying to fix whatever problems he'd have myself.

What did he do to you that you would hurt him so?

Did he fuck your girl?

Kick your dog? Fuck your dog?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: magicbastard] * 1
    #15185135 - 10/06/11 06:52 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

> Stay far far away from his server.

I 2nd this opinion.

If I need open heart surgery, I'm going to pay a lot of money for a highly trained and qualified surgeon to work on me.  I'm not going to go to the local high school and find a biology student that just finished dissecting a frog to operate on me.  Sure, the high school student may save me thousands of dollars, but the chances of me surviving at rather slim.

There is a reason why people that can fix this type of thing can demand a large fee for their services.  The problem isn't easy to solve and the cost of failure is high.

> hey thanks for that, maybe I could hire you to fix it for a large consulting fee then? :tongue:

I'd hire him over you for no other reason than he has demonstrated that he knows his limitations where you do not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: Seuss]
    #15188564 - 10/06/11 07:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah limitations, like all the limitations I get on this damn forum. obviously luvdemshrooms won't get banned for those retarded comments that require bitch slapping, but I'm SURE if I remark about his family women and sexual favors, I sure will, although I'm tempted.

really suess, not ALL servers are EXTREMELY high end. I'm not a complete dumb ass on a server, I'm not going to add facebook to a set of trusted sites, and I was just trying to save a friend of mine having to pay a $1500 consultation fee. but more then anything, I was trying to troubleshoot the virtual windows server 2003 issue, where as in the first 5 minutes of installing dc promo, I can't reboot the computer without going into directory services restore mode. it seems I need to do a backup, and a restore, but am failing to find detailed steps online to do so, also, the steps to backup the active directory are a bit difficult, and I'm not GREAT with giving certificate authority.

but on the high end IT consulting side of things, I'm very surprised that you would suggest troubleshooting i.p. settings, ping, test the network adapter, look at the network adapter in bios, do a check disk to verify hard disk drive integrity, but ruling out a possibility with a virus in the other thread :tongue:

of course maybe you didn't rule it out, however you didn't seem to disagree with the consensus of ruling it out. that would be my first step, that and viewing the drivers, before I ran check disk, or tried seeing if an add in pci network adapter was being used, or if onboard, troubleshooting the lan settings, etc. to simple diagnose a css feed. which seems pretty software internal to me. I would FIRST use a virus scan, it couldn't hurt.

nothing insulting, just my opinion, and I'm sure no has gotten banned just for that around here :rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#15188593 - 10/06/11 07:49 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Stay far far away from his server.

I 2nd this opinion.

If I need open heart surgery, I'm going to pay a lot of money for a highly trained and qualified surgeon to work on me.  I'm not going to go to the local high school and find a biology student that just finished dissecting a frog to operate on me.  Sure, the high school student may save me thousands of dollars, but the chances of me surviving at rather slim.

There is a reason why people that can fix this type of thing can demand a large fee for their services.  The problem isn't easy to solve and the cost of failure is high.

> hey thanks for that, maybe I could hire you to fix it for a large consulting fee then? :tongue:

I'd hire him over you for no other reason than he has demonstrated that he knows his limitations where you do not.

ok very true, the cost of failure is high. but if you are having heart problems, do you really want to go in for heart surgery because a doctor told you so? it seems there are more malpracticed doctors then there are malpracticed IT technicians, because I've heard of doctors KILLING people, but have NEVER heard of disagreeing with an IT service, as though an IT service technician will just NEVER mess up your service.

if you had heart problems, I'd first tell you to visit several doctors, take vitamins, exercise, eat healthier, find a possible solution before surgery. as no matter what the cost you will pay for it, one mistake, and it's your life. of course with a server, one mistake and it's all your data, but is why I simply want to take the first step, to try and figure out how to back up the files and active directory, is if this is already previously backed up, then the consulting fee will be lower, MUCH lower, if the technician spends less time in the office.

surely if I can back up my hard drive and reformat, backing up the ad, and other files in the server CAN'T be TOO much different then standard hardware backup methods, or network drive backup methods. I just don't know where the files for active directory are located, and was just trying to ask. that's all. thank you

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #15188619 - 10/06/11 07:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

And that little temper tantrum is why I typically don't respond to your posts.  :rolleyes:

As to your problem with AD, which comes first, the chicken or the egg?  (i.e. You can't do a restore if you haven't made a backup and it is too late to make a non-screwed up backup after the system is screwed up.)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

#15188992 - 10/06/11 09:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

As a highly paid IT consultant my honest advice is if you have to ask here for instructions you do not have the knowledge to work on servers. You could at least try going to an IT related forum as well as google for info on your problem and go from there.

If you actually want to learn and do a proper job of fixing his server you could go to a torrent site and download msca/msce training videos and pay particular attention to the videos dedicated to active directory.

Too many people think "Hey I can use facebook and install nvidia drivers, that means I know how to perform complex troubleshooting on a server."

Even if you fix the server, chances are the way you fix it will cause so many more problems down the road it will end up costing him ten times more to fix when he gives up and calls in the experts.

I don't really care though, backyard jobs on servers by computer cowboys are usually the most difficult problems to solve and therefore pay the most :smile:

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: Jwlst]
    #15189182 - 10/06/11 09:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, good point. I tried the ntds util command, got some output, about the folder paths. problem is, I tried using the command line as administrator, no adminstrator/password combination worked. I remember what I tried to set, and even used no password and tried that.

well you are right, what sucks is this is a windows issue as always. I'd just BET money that with a linux server this problem wouldn't have happened, although it would have REQUIRED a command line to create a domain controller. actually linux doesn't use that 'term' does it? anyhow, the command line interface with dc promo in windows does seem to be a bit more complex then most command line abilities for windows. but really, I created the domain controller, restarted computer, automatically corrupt. SUCKS. so not much from here to go.

what I would feel REALLY bad for is a person who used a computer as a server just for backups, and as a printer server, then tried to create a domain controller for dhcp, and the server is automatically corrupt at that point. I guess never mix that chicken and egg all at once like that, since you need to go back and figure out which one came first. but really I am mixing it up a bit, you need a server with dhcp to create a backup drive right? or do you?

no I'm wrong, with an i.p. address and the c drive and documents and settings folder properties shared, all you need is to map the network drive, or access the i.p. address, and copy files to that computer. you need to have an i.s.p. modem installed so you can get an i.p. from an internet server, but that is it. and to have a printer server, I don't think you need a domain controller at all, I could be wrong.

damn chicken and egg, you need the egg, but then you need the chicken. pain in the ass, just try and seperate that chicken and egg as much as possible. hard to do, one must come first, i guess leave the egg away from the chicken until the egg hatches correctly, but then the chicken deploys the egg? :facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

#15189250 - 10/06/11 09:58 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Linux servers aren't a fairy tale, they too will have errors and are even more difficult to setup.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#15189303 - 10/06/11 10:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well whadda you know, I can turn my linux host os into a server giving away dhcp for free. why is linux so complicated but then really so simple? it's kind of hard to figure out compared to windows, but linux is so yes and no it will or won't do it. in my opinion, anyway I got this far:

ps-ax | grep dhcpd
No command 'ps-ax' found, did you mean:
Command 'pspax' from package 'pax-utils' (universe)
ps-ax: command not found
danel@danel-Dimension-4700:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for danel:
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# ps-ax | grep dhcpd
No command 'ps-ax' found, did you mean:
Command 'pspax' from package 'pax-utils' (universe)
ps-ax: command not found
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# sudo get-apt install pax-utils
sudo: get-apt: command not found
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# find . -type f -exec grep -l 192.168.100.3
find: missing argument to `-exec'
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# -type f -exec grep -l 192.168.100.3
No command '-type' found, did you mean:
Command 'mtype' from package 'mtools' (main)
-type: command not found
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# ps -ax |grep dhcpd
Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See http://procps.sf.net/faq.html
2978 pts/0    S+    0:00 grep --color=auto dhcpd
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# dhcpd -f
The program 'dhcpd' can be found in the following packages:
* isc-dhcp-server
* isc-dhcp-server-ldap
Try: apt-get install <selected package>
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# sudo apt-get install isc-dhcp-server-ldapReading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  isc-dhcp-server
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  isc-dhcp-server isc-dhcp-server-ldap
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 760 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1,892 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates/main isc-dhcp-server i386 4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1 [402 kB]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ natty-updates/universe isc-dhcp-server-ldap i386 4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1 [359 kB]
Fetched 760 kB in 3s (197 kB/s)             
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package isc-dhcp-server.
(Reading database ... 171653 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking isc-dhcp-server (from .../isc-dhcp-server_4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package isc-dhcp-server-ldap.
Unpacking isc-dhcp-server-ldap (from .../isc-dhcp-server-ldap_4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1_i386.deb) ...
Adding 'diversion of /usr/sbin/dhcpd to /usr/sbin/dhcpd-noldap by isc-dhcp-server-ldap'
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Setting up isc-dhcp-server (4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1) ...
Generating /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server...
* Starting ISC DHCP server dhcpd                                                * check syslog for diagnostics.
                                                                        [fail]
invoke-rc.d: initscript isc-dhcp-server, action "start" failed.
Setting up isc-dhcp-server-ldap (4.1.1-P1-15ubuntu9.1) ...
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for eth0 (192.168.0.100).
** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
  you want, please write a subnet declaration
  in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
  to which interface eth0 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240;}
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `}'
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240;}
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240; }
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240;
subnet: command not found
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# sudo apt-get install subnet
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
E: Unable to locate package subnet
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240; }
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 range 192.168.100.200 192.168.100.240;
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# sudo su
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# sudo apt-get install subnet
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree     
E: Unable to locate package subnet
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# subnet
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
Not searching LDAP since ldap-server, ldap-port and ldap-base-dn were not specified in the config file
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.

No subnet declaration for eth0 (192.168.0.100).
** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
  you want, please write a subnet declaration
  in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
  to which interface eth0 is attached. **

Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
root@danel-Dimension-4700:/home/danel# ping 127.0.0.1
PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.065 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_req=2 ttl=64 time=0.072 ms

:laugh2: really I think if you are a genius if you can figure that out at all, but then I think you are a genius if you can get turn windows on without it fucking up. but then that wouldn't be too great on a resume would it??

"why do you think you should be lead administrator of this office and over see all IT progression?"

"well I turned on my hp laptop yesterday, and hey windows turns on! cmon I'm like friggin Steve Jobs genius extraordinary"

at that point, maybe you are right and can prove it, if you can jump out of the window and fly, you just MIGHT be VERY qualified!

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#15189333 - 10/06/11 10:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jwlst said:
Linux servers aren't a fairy tale, they too will have errors and are even more difficult to setup.

:shocked:

hard to believe :awewtf:

--------------------

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

#15189739 - 10/07/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

imachavel you need to correctly delcare your ethernet ports to get that linux dhcp service running correctly. Also I must point out that dhcp can be done with any $5 router in the bargan bin, it is not such a hard thing to setup now a days..

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#15189840 - 10/07/11 01:00 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

but a router won't GIVE you dhcp will it? it just ROUTES it doesn't it??

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
~                                                                             
"/etc/network/interfaces" 3 lines, 32 characters

I am a little nervous about using sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces because it says I need to replace eth0 with your network interface card

will this kick me off the internet?? I'm not virtualizing this. anyhow what command do I use to post my network interface card. I'm sure it's intel but I don't know what model/version of onboard I'm using.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #15189996 - 10/07/11 02:13 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
but a router won't GIVE you dhcp will it? it just ROUTES it doesn't it??

What do you mean 'GIVE'? A router with a DHCP server will hand out IP addresses like any DHCP server. And you don't need to use it as a router for it to still work as a DHCP server.

Quote:

imachavel said:
why is linux so complicated but then really so simple?

Because Linux lets you mess up in ways you're not even aware of, until you find your home-made porn vids spread out over various torrent sites all over the Internet and you come to the conclusion that your watertight security maybe wasn't so watertight after all. I'm not saying Linux 'isn't secure', I'm saying that to get from Linux what you want, you need to know very, very well what you're doing. It's a bit more difficult than Windows in this respect, as Windows will activate additional services by itself and often prompts the user/administrator for configuration decisions that you'd have to hunt after manually in Linux.

Edited by koraks (10/07/11 02:15 AM)

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: koraks]
    #15192645 - 10/07/11 05:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You just need to setup a subnet, a regular one of 255.255.255.0 is fine. Yes as koraks confirmed a router can act as a dhcp server infact almost all cheap home routers now come with a dhcp option. Simply click the radio box 'yes' under dhcp options, setup your scope of IP's and all will be well. No need to mess around with linux for dhcp. In a business environment high end routers usually provide dhcp although sometimes a windows server is used but I doubt that many people would use linux as an actual dhcp server.

A good use of linux for a coporate network would be as a firewall, but even then there are hardware firewalls that could do the job better.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: koraks]
    #15193749 - 10/07/11 09:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ok so you can use a router as a server the gives out dhcp? I had NO idea you could do that. I thought you could only do it with an operating system that is a server. so why online does it say the largest and most reliable servers are unix systems? I guess a high end server is used when a file server is needed? but you only need a high end router to hand out i.p. addresses as a dhcp server? ok indeed. really cool, what do I buy, a cisco router or something along the line of more then 4 ports and with a necessary password to log in as super user or to log in in global config mode? did I say that right?

now koraks, about your opinion of how linux is not better then windows unless you very much know how to use it correctly. Maybe so. you also stated that windows make it much easier because it prompts you for options, very true. but easier is not always better. and cmon, who are we kidding, how often is linux actually targeted? it's very rare that it is that easy to hack linux, and if it is, it just doesn't happen that often. I have been using linux only a few months now, and as much as it isn't as pretty, simple, or app equipped by default as windows, it seems to run a hell of a lot better.

I have had no crashes, no foul ups, no viruses I am aware of. I haven't run a fragmentation or disk clean, and haven't seen the pc slow down at all. although I probably SHOULD do that eventually, as even ext file system I'm sure will fragment, and cache will load up and slow things down. now is it harder to use then windows? hell yes. configuring it is a pain. windows is SO simple. but windows is TOO simple, in my opinion, I really think so.

In my opinion, the problem is at point where you need to get more advanced with windows. because to me at this point, windows is TOO simple. it lacks options that are needed, that to me makes it frustrating. sure you have safe mode options, SOME command line options, the ability to repair, run check disk, use recovery mode with command line, look at registry values, modify root files. but still it all lacks more complex ability that I believe an operating should always have for deeper more complex issues and setup. You understand what I mean?

Now I believe you when you say to use linux correctly you need to know what you are doing. definitely the truth. but really in windows do you feel that you have the ability to get more complex with things that are needed? and not always are things more difficult in linux. yes linux is very command line, but that is GOOD. now windows also uses command line, and I am not going to pretend that there aren't command line options that are very useful in windows. and also the command line in windows is more often then not, very simple. I actually really admire that, as the command line in linux can be very complex some times.

but in windows the gui tricks you into thinking that the majority of simplicity is much better. but is it? is surfing through folder after folder or web site after web site to find your solution a better answer? take the command line in linux for example, how about the command: sudo apt-get install

it is VERY simple. and all you USUALLY need to do, is to look up a web page online, explaining how to install something using the command line. this option to me is FAR simpler and better then using the gui in windows. you can install something easily without having to surf for third party sites, and you can watch the progress of the installation in the command line, and see what happens if it doesn't install, watch the percentage of files being installed, see which ones don't install and what not. to me it is a much cleaner, more reliable operating system.

now if you are going to recommend to your grandfather, that he should get a computer, check his email, send an email, shut off his web browser, shut off his computer, then go eat his dinner, then in that case, no, I wouldn't at ALL recommend that he use linux. in this case windows is the best bet. it is easy, simple to use, and being that he probably won't visit any weird internet sites, he probably won't get a virus and have to deal with any of that gibberish.

but if you want a big boy operating system, that can turn itself into anything you want it to be, a server, a programming platform, a game development machine, whatever you want, I would definitely go with linux. sure, it can be hacked, sure, it can be targeted. but let's talk ratio, let's talk about percentage. compared to windows, how much easier is your budget with linux, how often is linux hacked compared to windows, how often does an upgrade to the next version of the operating system fail when compared to windows??

it is truly a beautiful machine, a really beautiful work of art. I may know nothing about it yet, but in the first few months I've used it, I have come to admire it quite a bit. I think the type of thinking that went into creating linux is brilliance along the lines of Albert Einstein, brain surgery, rocket engineering. Windows is as well, but let's be honest, windows 95 was a MAJOR leap in the computer world, a MAJOR upgrade to it's predecessor, and windows 7 is a MAJOR leap compared to windows 95. but do you think the trouble and the time between windows 95 and windows 7 is a huge leap in success? it has taken the microsoft team over a decade to perfect windows 95, if you would even call windows 7 windows perfected.

I don't know, if you disagree, I understand, everyone has their own opinion. but my opinion is as it stands, until I can see something that majorly shakes and changes my mind. now where windows excels to me is in simplicity, ease of understanding, and let's be honest, it excels in gaming. I don't know, it's great for taking a system that runs millions of tiny bits and bytes of information a minute in the form of processes that require light speed information transaction just to open a single file, or view an internet page, and simplifying it into something that anyone can use. but is top of the line? hell no. is it simple, hell yes

was I incoherent again? :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

#15193843 - 10/07/11 10:06 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
ok so you can use a router as a server the gives out dhcp? I had NO idea you could do that. I thought you could only do it with an operating system that is a server. so why online does it say the largest and most reliable servers are unix systems? I guess a high end server is used when a file server is needed? but you only need a high end router to hand out i.p. addresses as a dhcp server? ok indeed. really cool, what do I buy, a cisco router or something along the line of more then 4 ports and with a necessary password to log in as super user or to log in in global config mode? did I say that right?

now koraks, about your opinion of how linux is not better then windows unless you very much know how to use it correctly. Maybe so. you also stated that windows make it much easier because it prompts you for options, very true. but easier is not always better. and cmon, who are we kidding, how often is linux actually targeted? it's very rare that it is that easy to hack linux, and if it is, it just doesn't happen that often. I have been using linux only a few months now, and as much as it isn't as pretty, simple, or app equipped by default as windows, it seems to run a hell of a lot better.

I have had no crashes, no foul ups, no viruses I am aware of. I haven't run a fragmentation or disk clean, and haven't seen the pc slow down at all. although I probably SHOULD do that eventually, as even ext file system I'm sure will fragment, and cache will load up and slow things down. now is it harder to use then windows? hell yes. configuring it is a pain. windows is SO simple. but windows is TOO simple, in my opinion, I really think so.

In my opinion, the problem is at point where you need to get more advanced with windows. because to me at this point, windows is TOO simple. it lacks options that are needed, that to me makes it frustrating. sure you have safe mode options, SOME command line options, the ability to repair, run check disk, use recovery mode with command line, look at registry values, modify root files. but still it all lacks more complex ability that I believe an operating should always have for deeper more complex issues and setup. You understand what I mean?

Now I believe you when you say to use linux correctly you need to know what you are doing. definitely the truth. but really in windows do you feel that you have the ability to get more complex with things that are needed? and not always are things more difficult in linux. yes linux is very command line, but that is GOOD. now windows also uses command line, and I am not going to pretend that there aren't command line options that are very useful in windows. and also the command line in windows is more often then not, very simple. I actually really admire that, as the command line in linux can be very complex some times.

but in windows the gui tricks you into thinking that the majority of simplicity is much better. but is it? is surfing through folder after folder or web site after web site to find your solution a better answer? take the command line in linux for example, how about the command: sudo apt-get install

it is VERY simple. and all you USUALLY need to do, is to look up a web page online, explaining how to install something using the command line. this option to me is FAR simpler and better then using the gui in windows. you can install something easily without having to surf for third party sites, and you can watch the progress of the installation in the command line, and see what happens if it doesn't install, watch the percentage of files being installed, see which ones don't install and what not. to me it is a much cleaner, more reliable operating system.

now if you are going to recommend to your grandfather, that he should get a computer, check his email, send an email, shut off his web browser, shut off his computer, then go eat his dinner, then in that case, no, I wouldn't at ALL recommend that he use linux. in this case windows is the best bet. it is easy, simple to use, and being that he probably won't visit any weird internet sites, he probably won't get a virus and have to deal with any of that gibberish.

but if you want a big boy operating system, that can turn itself into anything you want it to be, a server, a programming platform, a game development machine, whatever you want, I would definitely go with linux. sure, it can be hacked, sure, it can be targeted. but let's talk ratio, let's talk about percentage. compared to windows, how much easier is your budget with linux, how often is linux hacked compared to windows, how often does an upgrade to the next version of the operating system fail when compared to windows??

it is truly a beautiful machine, a really beautiful work of art. I may know nothing about it yet, but in the first few months I've used it, I have come to admire it quite a bit. I think the type of thinking that went into creating linux is brilliance along the lines of Albert Einstein, brain surgery, rocket engineering. Windows is as well, but let's be honest, windows 95 was a MAJOR leap in the computer world, a MAJOR upgrade to it's predecessor, and windows 7 is a MAJOR leap compared to windows 95. but do you think the trouble and the time between windows 95 and windows 7 is a huge leap in success? it has taken the microsoft team over a decade to perfect windows 95, if you would even call windows 7 windows perfected.

I don't know, if you disagree, I understand, everyone has their own opinion. but my opinion is as it stands, until I can see something that majorly shakes and changes my mind. now where windows excels to me is in simplicity, ease of understanding, and let's be honest, it excels in gaming. I don't know, it's great for taking a system that runs millions of tiny bits and bytes of information a minute in the form of processes that require light speed information transaction just to open a single file, or view an internet page, and simplifying it into something that anyone can use. but is top of the line? hell no. is it simple, hell yes

was I incoherent again? :shrug:

OfflineJwlst
Stranger

Re: active directory is corrupt, how do I restore it, THANKS [Re: magicbastard]
    #15193897 - 10/07/11 10:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I personally would never bother using linux for my home operating system but if you got the time to waste I have fun I guess.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom