Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012
    #15166540 - 10/02/11 11:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Well ladies and gentlemen October is here!!! I figured I would make this new thread so we could discuss our training during the colder months. I recently invested in a home gym and I do not really have the space to lift inside. That means that during the winter months I will have to shovel and salt my front patio in order to create a space to do my workouts.

I have always loved training in the elements during the winter months. Not only does is strengthen your body but it also strengthens your mind. Whether it means power walking through snow or sprinting my driveway in snow shoes, I plan to run and do outdoor aerobics this winter.

What do you guys have in mind for the upcoming winter? Will you train outdoors? Will you run? What changes do you make during the colder months?

Post your workouts, schedules, gear, goals, concerns, comments. Cheers!!! :strong:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Where will you workout this winter?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (10/02/11 11:40 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Edited by XUL (10/02/11 11:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: XUL]
    #15166581 - 10/02/11 11:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I would just like to say that I made an awesome investment recently. I just bought two rubber bumper plates for my barbell. Finally I can start throwing down the weight after I do a clean and jerk! I also bought a chalk block! I have been using hook grip lately and when I have dry chalked hands my grip becomes extremely secure.

I have to say I am sold on hook grip.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #15167004 - 10/02/11 01:18 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I am hoping to run 1x per week outside through the rainy months, and will continue KB and BB work inside throughout the winter.

I had a good routine going, but got side tracked after one late night, 2 busy weeks, and a minor cold. I am really feeling apathetic right now, but am about to force myself to do the first workout in 2 weeks.

*shame*

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Loc: Flag
    #15171820 - 10/03/11 01:30 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I still plan on running outside 3-4 times a week like I've been doing all summer until it starts to snow. Then I'll most likely just run at the track at my gym till it starts to warm up again.

Still gonna keep at my 3 times a week lifting routine too.

Working out outside all winter sounds intense XUL:lol:, good luck.

InvisibleAmber Trichome

Loc: Black Mountain
Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: Solemente]
    #15172236 - 10/03/11 03:06 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Is Under Armour a worthy investment for outdoor Winter Cardio?

I already have a toboggan with a built in face mask, as breathing in the cold air creates asthmatic experiences for me.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: Amber Trichome]
    #15172373 - 10/03/11 03:39 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Amber Trichome said:
Is Under Armour a worthy investment for outdoor Winter Cardio?

I already have a toboggan with a built in face mask, as breathing in the cold air creates asthmatic experiences for me.

I was curious about winter gear too. I never tried under armour before. How does the toboggan work out for you? I cant say that I have asthmatic experience but I definitely feel the effects of the cold on my lungs.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#15172928 - 10/03/11 05:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In my opinion under armour SUCKS, it gets smelly, and doesn't dry fast at all!

Here's my .02 cents.

Base layers are what you want though - I highly recommend 100% Merino wool. Merino does not get smelly, even after weeks of use, and is super warm, soft, light, and all natural.

I wear Icebreaker, it's super pricey, but a good athletic brand, your look at $80+ for a teeshirt or leggings though! Their products come in varying thicknesses depending on the activity and temperature you'll be using them for..

For outdoor winter cardio, id go with the thinnest (100 series.) I have a 200 series long sleeve and it is so hot i can't really imagine wearing it for anything but sitting outside in -20C weather...

There are generic versions available, but from what i've seen, most are less of an athletic fit..

Anyways - depending on your price point, there are other options for base layers. Synthetics mostly ... probably half the price, most running or skiing stores will have a variety of brands which are all usually pretty similar in performance. In comparison to Merino, they all suck, IMO.

The best non merino base layer i've used is Defeet., although it does get smelly, and doesn't keep you overly warm.

Your goal is to stay dry, if you stay dry you can stay warm. Obviously when exercising in the winter, sweat is your enemy. Cotton gets wet, and stays wet and saps the heat right out of you... Hence, technical base layers which are designed to wick the moisture off your body, and dry quickly, while maintaining body temp.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: PDU]
    #15173121 - 10/03/11 06:25 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

For outdoor winter cardio, id go with the thinnest (100 series.) I have a 200 series long sleeve and it is so hot i can't really imagine wearing it for anything but sitting outside in -20C weather...

That is crazy. So this 200 series sleeve shirt... Could you wear it by itself in the winter time to lift in? That would be great because it would provide me with less bulk.

Prior to hearing about your recommendation I always used cabela's. I always ran in these cabela's hoody's my dad got me. They are so warm that I use them as my winter coat too! But like you said, they are cotton and could absorb sweat. But usually I layer and my first two layers tend to absorb sweat before the hoodie. But then there is always snow fall that could make my outer layer wet.

I am definitely going to look into these shirts you speak of. That would be crazy to be able to just wear a long sleeve shirt in the winter time! Its unheard of!!

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#15175528 - 10/04/11 07:41 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, something like this: http://ca.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-CA-Site/en/Product-Show?pid=IBSC61&dwvar_IBSC61_color=F04&start=25&cgid=mens-tops-long-sleeve

It is NOT water repellent, so if you were in the rain or snow, you will get wet. IT IS a type of WOOL, therefore, despite getting wet, you will stay warm.

I run in my short sleeve 100 series ice breaker in the winter - it keeps me warm, cool, and dry, but if its raining wearing a waterproof hard or soft shell is good too.

What temperature are you talking about anyways...?

BTW - my interest in baselayers is stemmed from being heavy sweater and getting destroyed by wet teeshirt and getting cold throughout my life.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#15176088 - 10/04/11 10:47 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I am from Pennsylvania. Sometimes it gets pretty cold but for the most part it does not go bellow 0. But then there is wind.

I think I will look into those wool shirts. That sounds really nice. What do you use on your head? I always used just a hood and a tosil cap. It works but I tend to have to tighten the draw strings really tight or else the hood will fly off.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#15180210 - 10/05/11 07:36 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I just wear a toque, but am planning on downgrading to a headband with ear warmers.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleWorldWideWInton
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: unknown
    #15181555 - 10/05/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I LOVE running outside.  In bootcamp we ran outside twice a week every week no matter what.  I run my best at about 30 deg.  Nothing like bundling up and getting out there in the dark when it's -10 deg out! 
As for conditioning I'm from Wisconsin and it dumped snow last year.  Shoveling a foot of snow is great exercise. lol It's like KB, carido and strength training. lol.

--------------------
My past post are not necessarily reflections of my current opinions.

OfflineSolemente
Male

Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: WorldWideWInton]
    #15216797 - 10/12/11 10:36 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ran about 7-8 miles earlier tonight.

I've been kinda slacking lately with the cardio, and focusing more on lifting.

It felt good to get outside and blow off some energy. I love fall weather:cool:

OfflineSolemente
Male

#15349684 - 11/10/11 12:14 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Bumping this thread since I don't think it belongs in the power lifting thread.

I'm pretty sure I've found my new favorite workout, swimming! I'm gonna start training myself to do triathlons since I already run and bike a ton. Don't know why I've never considered it before.

I'm more of an endurance/cardio junkie than a weight lifting kind of guy anyways.

Anyways, went to the gym today and did some weigh lifting for about 30 minutes, then swam laps for another 30 minutes and holy shit I feel tired as hell. I love it.

Gonna try to do competitive and non-competitive triathlons next year sometime so I can give myself some time to train up over the winter/spring. I love having new goals in life.

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery

#15349726 - 11/10/11 12:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i prefer aerobic training over weight lifting any day... i lift twice a week, 3 times on occasions... i've never been into big muscles, i'd rather build my endurance, better for the heart and mind... i have a friend who does mini triathlons, she loves it, meets alot of cool people too... when you get around to doing one make sure you poat about it...

Kensho :psychsplit:

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: Fall - Winter- Strength and Conditioning -2011 - 2012 [Re: cateyes]
    #15355315 - 11/11/11 12:07 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I would also be interested in hearing about your triathalon progress, it is a sport i am interested in aswell.

Me? - I am a decent runner, excellent cyclist, and was formerly an excellent swimmer who is interested in doing Ironman.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineSolemente
Male

#15368286 - 11/14/11 08:20 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

15 miles on the stationary bike then immediately after 5 miles running on the TM this morning.

time for some oats

I feel like I'm going to get even skinnier if I keep this up. I've already lost like 15 pounds of body fat in the past 4 months.
:vibin:

Edited by Solemente (11/14/11 08:33 AM)

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#15368583 - 11/14/11 10:17 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Solemente said:
Bumping this thread since I don't think it belongs in the power lifting thread.

I'm pretty sure I've found my new favorite workout, swimming! I'm gonna start training myself to do triathlons since I already run and bike a ton. Don't know why I've never considered it before.

I'm more of an endurance/cardio junkie than a weight lifting kind of guy anyways.

Anyways, went to the gym today and did some weigh lifting for about 30 minutes, then swam laps for another 30 minutes and holy shit I feel tired as hell. I love it.

Gonna try to do competitive and non-competitive triathlons next year sometime so I can give myself some time to train up over the winter/spring. I love having new goals in life.

Care to discuss any changes you will be making in your diet? Do you plan to?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineSolemente
Male

#15368601 - 11/14/11 10:24 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I already eat a pretty solid diet most of the time.

I mainly just try to make sure I get enough fiber, protien, h2o, and carbs. Then I eat a lot of veggies and fruit on top of that.

I've cut way down on my alcohol intake over the past few months which has been a huge plus I think.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#15368691 - 11/14/11 10:59 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Solemente said:
I already eat a pretty solid diet most of the time.

I mainly just try to make sure I get enough fiber, protien, h2o, and carbs. Then I eat a lot of veggies and fruit on top of that.

I've cut way down on my alcohol intake over the past few months which has been a huge plus I think.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I am just curious because you said you are going to do triathalones.

Will you up your calorie intake? Will you focus more on cardio more than strength training?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order