Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Do you play an instrument?
    #15171218 - 10/03/11 10:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Which one?

I play guitar and I think I play pretty well. I played a flying-V for a long time but a while ago I switched to accoustic and I am stuck on that. I love the way an accoustic sounds. So rich with sound. So true to my ears.

I have recently decided that I will take up violin. I have found a starter violine that costs 260$ and an instructor who plays violin in a symphony orchestra and has a bachelors in music. The guy at the store told me its a lot harder than a guitar. I am fine with that because I hate TV and I would not mind spending a couple hours a day practicing. If I practice hard, in five years I might be a decent player. Decent enough to write my own songs or play along with other peoples.

Has anybody ever played violin?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSoluminia
The mind is god
Male

Loc: CO
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: XUL] * 1
    #15171234 - 10/03/11 11:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I self taught my self the bass. but havnt played in a while i need to pick it up again i really want to get a band started

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: XUL]
    #15171257 - 10/03/11 11:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Has anybody ever played violin?

Yup. Started when I turned 5, took lessons until 17, played in ensembles until about one and a half years ago. I haven't touched it since January though.

I hope you succeed in reaching a level that you find satisfactory. Not to discourage you, but I have never met anyone who took up the violin when (s)he was older than 12 and turned into a halfway decent player. Not to say it can't be done, but just don't get your hopes up too high.

Offlinesunset_mission
Entheonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: NYC (Intra Deitate...)
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: koraks]
    #15171281 - 10/03/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I taught myself the guitar for 7 years and the keyboard for 9 years. I feel much more connected to the keyboard and actually composing over the guitar, though.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: sunset_mission]
    #15171347 - 10/03/11 11:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yup. Started when I turned 5, took lessons until 17, played in ensembles until about one and a half years ago. I haven't touched it since January though.

I hope you succeed in reaching a level that you find satisfactory. Not to discourage you, but I have never met anyone who took up the violin when (s)he was older than 12 and turned into a halfway decent player. Not to say it can't be done, but just don't get your hopes up too high.

That is impressive my friend. Cheers to you.

I have heard that starting out as a child is the best way to go. I figure it will be a great hobby though. I dont plan on playing in any ensembles but I would like to be able to play my heart out one day and hopefully sound half decent. I figure that by the time I am 50 it will have paid off.

After I recently saw my first symphony live I was hooked on the idea. What a beautifull instrument.

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Loc: Nasty Women Get Shit Done
    #15171373 - 10/03/11 11:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

not at the moment but funny you should ask because i was just going to start a thread asking if anyone here plays mandolin?  i have been obsessed with this instrument for a couple of years now and am going to pick on up and start learning in the next couple of months. 

i also played the flute for about 8 years when i was a youngin.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #15171376 - 10/03/11 11:39 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Well, definitely maintain that level of enthusiasm, and just enjoy what you're doing :thumbup:

Quote:

XUL said:

Nope, it isn't. I never achieved much in that respect, and I rolled into it at an age where rational, autonomous decision-making is one of those things that are as abstract and difficult to achieve as, say, writing a Master's thesis. I had some great times though, especially playing in orchestras. I'd definitely recommend doing that - it's the one thing that makes it worth. There's nothing in life that compares to making music together. But you already know that :wink:

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#15171382 - 10/03/11 11:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Well, definitely maintain that level of enthusiasm, and just enjoy what you're doing :thumbup:

Quote:

XUL said:

Nope, it isn't. I never achieved much in that respect, and I rolled into it at an age where rational, autonomous decision-making is one of those things that are as abstract and difficult to achieve as, say, writing a Master's thesis. I had some great times though, especially playing in orchestras. I'd definitely recommend doing that - it's the one thing that makes it worth. There's nothing in life that compares to making music together. But you already know that :wink:

Can I PM you if I have any questions when I am learning?

Do you think I could be good enough one day to play in an ensemble? How good do you have to be?

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Loc: Woody Creek
    #15171383 - 10/03/11 11:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Fiddle is a difficult one to master but anything is possible so have at it. You won't regret learning.
I've been playing guitar for almost 30 years with about five of them being more structured. Meaning I started giving a shit. :lol:
I love the acoustic and am infinitely more comfortable playing one versus an electric.
With that said, it's important (for me) to stay practiced on both so when the situation comes up and I am forced to play electric, I am competent with it.
Music is my drug of choice these days.

--------------------
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used." H.T.
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: yogabunny]
    #15171388 - 10/03/11 11:42 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Yoga,
Come visit me. I have guitars, banjo, piano and spoons.
Epic road trip for you that ends up with us being the best band evar!

--------------------
I've come to believe that the heart is the filter of the enlightened mind. Epilson Lyrae

Edited by Epilson Lyrae (10/03/11 11:42 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #15171396 - 10/03/11 11:43 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Can I PM you if I have any questions when I am learning?

Sure, go ahead! Maybe your enthusiasm will spill over and I'll pick it up again myself :wink:

Quote:

Do you think I could be good enough one day to play in an ensemble? How good do you have to be?

Sure you will. Just find an ensemble with people of your level or one that accepts people of all different levels. But there are a gazillion ensembles consisting of amateur players having lots of fun. And if all else fails, start your own! A quartet requires only you and...three others! :wink:

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #15171398 - 10/03/11 11:44 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Epilson Lyrae said:
Fiddle is a difficult one to master but anything is possible so have at it.

And fiddle != violin :crankey:

InvisibleEpilson Lyrae
Armed with hammers
Male User Gallery

#15171404 - 10/03/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: Epilson Lyrae]
    #15171410 - 10/03/11 11:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Had to say it :wink:

OfflineDeekay
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: sunset_mission]
    #15171427 - 10/03/11 11:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I play a little piano, few years of lessons YEARS ago.

Taught myself guitar the last few years, still a beginner.

--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

OfflineAnhoktohen
iamthecheese
Male

#15171434 - 10/03/11 11:53 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

yogabunny said:
not at the moment but funny you should ask because i was just going to start a thread asking if anyone here plays mandolin?  i have been obsessed with this instrument for a couple of years now and am going to pick on up and start learning in the next couple of months. 

i also played the flute for about 8 years when i was a youngin.

I picked up a mandolin last feb. and I have loved it ever since.  I was frustrated in the beginning, because I have no stringed instrument experience (well, I played cello in third grade, but that was a while ago).  but once I got the hang of tuning, notes, and chords, I've found I can pick up sheet music or watch a video online and learn to play new songs.  I'm happy I did it.

advice: you can get a relatively cheap one, so long as you send it to a "luthier" who will "set-up" your mandolin.  the total price of this is still lower than a high end mandolin, but sounds great.  low cost mandolin without a set up will sound pretty rough though, and your practicing will be affected.

--------------------
"Less reality, more fantasy!"
~Hedonism bot, Futurama

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: Anhoktohen]
    #15171503 - 10/03/11 12:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Epilson Lyrae said:
Hey Yoga,
Come visit me. I have guitars, banjo, piano and spoons.
Epic road trip for you that ends up with us being the best band evar!

sounds delightful!

Quote:

Anhoktohen said:

I picked up a mandolin last feb. and I have loved it ever since.  I was frustrated in the beginning, because I have no stringed instrument experience (well, I played cello in third grade, but that was a while ago).  but once I got the hang of tuning, notes, and chords, I've found I can pick up sheet music or watch a video online and learn to play new songs.  I'm happy I did it.

advice: you can get a relatively cheap one, so long as you send it to a "luthier" who will "set-up" your mandolin.  the total price of this is still lower than a high end mandolin, but sounds great.  low cost mandolin without a set up will sound pretty rough though, and your practicing will be affected.

thanks so much for the advice.  where did you buy yours & how much did you spend?  i haven't the foggiest idea of where to start looking, or what is appropriate to spend for a beginner....

--------------------

InvisibleThe Whale

Loc: Flag
    #15171513 - 10/03/11 12:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Guitar, bass, piano, and hand percussion.

--------------------

OfflineAnhoktohen
iamthecheese
Male

Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: The Whale]
    #15171759 - 10/03/11 01:11 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

there are a lot of music shops in my town.  I went around to all of them, and looked until I found a $90 mandolin (they are made pretty cheap in asia).  it doesn't sound very good, and is hard to tune.

I had the "set up" done, and had it restrung with elixir (brand) strings.  this improved the sound and play-ability immensely.  the staff at the music shop should know what this is if you ask about having your mandolin set up, and if they don't, ask them to have it restrung with elixir strings, which will require them to send it to a luthier, and that person will definitely know what you are talking about.  I paid about 50 for the strings + set up.

Hal leonard's mandolin method book is a good starting place for beginning, and after that, youtube is a great place to learn a few songs.  you would be surprised at the breadth of songbooks for mandolin exist (I've got a beatles one, and a huge one with grateful dead, zeppelin, etc.) so browse around the music shop and ask them what they can order (or just go to amazon)

--------------------
"Less reality, more fantasy!"
~Hedonism bot, Futurama

InvisibleyogabunnyM
fancy cat
Female User Gallery

Re: Do you play an instrument? [Re: Anhoktohen]
    #15171802 - 10/03/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale