Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists"
    #15170419 - 10/03/11 06:32 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

In Amsterdam, anyway, the coffeeshop owners have decided to check IDs and won't sell bud/hash/whatever to anyone who isn't from the Netherlands, Belgium, or Germany.  I love Amsterdam for many reasons, but the coffeeshops certainly were a really nice part of visiting.  I heard that they are doing this partly because they are concerned that the government might shut them down if they don't.  What's been going on for the last decade or so in Holland?  First they banned the smartshops from selling dried shrooms, then they banned them from selling even fresh shrooms, and then they started thinning down the coffeeshop 'population' by cracking down and closing a number of them ... what's going on?  Has the government been taken over by conservatives for a long stretch now?  Dutch people always seemed so relaxed, with a very chill live-and-let-live attitude, so I'm pretty confused by their walking-back of progressive policies.

Plus, there's no way any of this can be good for their economy.  Especially at a time when Europe is facing huge financial woes, one would think governments and businesses wouldn't be eager to cut down on commerce.

Edit: Assuming the American-owned & run Grey Area is still around, I wonder how they feel about this latest move.  I wonder if even they won't sell to American tourists.  That must be an odd position to be in.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Edited by the spiral (10/03/11 06:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleArtieFartie
Mind Manipulator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: A Psychedelic Realm
Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: the spiral]
    #15170476 - 10/03/11 06:55 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I've heard about this.

I don't think they're going to actually go through with it.
Who cares what country your from, stoners from everywhere go there to get high.

--------------------

InvisibleMad_Larkin

Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: the spiral]
    #15170495 - 10/03/11 07:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I think there's a clause in the EU constitution which means that they can't refuse service to people from other EU countries.

That being said, I don't think they'll go through with this at all.  Too much money will be lost.

InvisibleEarth Child

Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: ArtieFartie]
    #15170497 - 10/03/11 07:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

They've actually been discussing this for a while now.

Maybe it's all just some publicity scheme to boost business from concercned tourists.

Can you imagine all the stoners that would flock to the Netherlands if they heard that their access into coffeshops might soon be stripped?

--------------------
Life is too short for this sorrow. You may be here today and gone tomorrow.

My Poetry · Stay Informed · Recipes · Nature Wants Us to Trip

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: ArtieFartie] * 1
    #15170803 - 10/03/11 08:50 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Mad_Larkin said:
I think there's a clause in the EU constitution which means that they can't refuse service to people from other EU countries.

C'mon, there's no way that shit is going to help much. All our neighboring countries have been exerting pressure on the Dutch state for years now to do something about our lax drug policies.

Quote:

the spiral said:
I heard that they are doing this partly because they are concerned that the government might shut them down if they don't.

This is true. They do it to prevent it from happening that they also cannot sell to Germans, Belgians and French, as well as to unregistered domestic customers. Yes, you got that right: somewhere in the future, we'll have to register as drug users in order to buy cannabis products. Just like in that third-world country across the ocean.

Quote:

ArtieFartie said:

I think they are, in fact.

Quote:

Yes, and that's exactly what is annoying some people. Firstly because those foreign stoners behave like total asses most of the time, and secondly because it results in political pressure from other countries.

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: koraks]
    #15170973 - 10/03/11 09:38 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I have heard rumours that it's already started happening, but then I hear other people say it hasn't.
I'm just hoping they hold off 'til January because I plan on smoking a lot of green while i'm there.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see,
and hear.
Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans
learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one
millionth of reality.
--------------------------------

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

Loc: 55 degrees north England
Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: Artnotwar]
    #15171026 - 10/03/11 09:54 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

State your source!!

I live very close to Amsterdam and have lots of friends in and around the area, I read and have been told that the trial is only being run in the border city of Masterict, the trial involves refusing service to anyone who has any passport other than Dutch, Belgian and German

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: GGTBod]
    #15171043 - 10/03/11 10:00 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GGTBod said:
I read and have been told that the trial is only being run in the border city of Masterict, the trial involves refusing service to anyone who has any passport other than Dutch, Belgian and German

That's only 10% of the story. There have been political skirmishes in several border towns including Maastricht, Roosendaal and Bergen op Zoom where coffee shop owners and/or local policy makers have designed and implemented controls to ban or limit access for foreign customers. Some of those regulations are contested, others are passed without very little attention from the mainstream media. Then on a national level, there has been an ongoing debate for a couple of years now if and how foreign buyers could/should be kept out of the shops.

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #15171055 - 10/03/11 10:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

There is soo many street dealers in amsterdam though

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Dutch Coffeeshops banning "drug tourists" [Re: P-O] * 1
    #15171058 - 10/03/11 10:04 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

There will be a lot more if the current right-wing, repressive, Dark Age government gets its plans implemented.

InvisibleMad_Larkin

#15171069 - 10/03/11 10:06 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

Mad_Larkin said:

C'mon, there's no way that shit is going to help much. All our neighboring countries have been exerting pressure on the Dutch state for years now to do something about our lax drug policies.

Quote:

the spiral said:
I heard that they are doing this partly because they are concerned that the government might shut them down if they don't.

This is true. They do it to prevent it from happening that they also cannot sell to Germans, Belgians and French, as well as to unregistered domestic customers. Yes, you got that right: somewhere in the future, we'll have to register as drug users in order to buy cannabis products. Just like in that third-world country across the ocean.

Quote:

ArtieFartie said:

I think they are, in fact.

Quote:

Yes, and that's exactly what is annoying some people. Firstly because those foreign stoners behave like total asses most of the time, and secondly because it results in political pressure from other countries.

:feelsbadman:

I better organise my trip to the Dam before this shit happens.

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

#15171094 - 10/03/11 10:15 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GGTBod said:
State your source!!

Are you asking me to state my source?

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and hear.
millionth of reality.

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#15171096 - 10/03/11 10:16 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you could state your sources on the Amsterdam banns i would be much appreciative to confirm or deny the validty of the post/thread

I can undertsnad the stance, it makes me cringe when i see 99% of the tourists in and around amsterdam, especially when i consider that this is the impression that 90% of Nederlanders have of people from my country, it made making friends in the netherlandse a little difficult until people ghot to know me.

I think it should work on a behaviour level, instead of tarring every stoner with the same shit stick indiviuals should earn their own bann.

A whole new job would be created, the Toruist Behavioural Integrity Warden (TBIW) would patrol tourists areas with radio link to coffeeshops and pubs, sourvernier shops etc  if you are caught being one of the typical idiot types of tourists by a TBIW or reported by a shop owner etc then you'd be banned from all the pleasures and a stamp put in your passport dated for a 5 year review in the hope they will mature, you have to show your passport to enter a coffeeshop/smartshop like proving your age, anyone with a stamp does not get in, a simple email in your conditions of travel stating your obligations as a responsible toruist as soon as your have purchased travel conditions to visit NL, also anyone with a valid stamp in their passport is refused entry to the country until it expires.

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#15171099 - 10/03/11 10:17 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

#15171103 - 10/03/11 10:19 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

GGTBod said:
If you could state your sources on the Amsterdam banns i would be much appreciative to confirm or deny the validty of the post/thread

I can undertsnad the stance, it makes me cringe when i see 99% of the tourists in and around amsterdam, especially when i consider that this is the impression that 90% of Nederlanders have of people from my country, it made making friends in the netherlandse a little difficult until people ghot to know me.

I think it should work on a behaviour level, instead of tarring every stoner with the same shit stick indiviuals should earn their own bann.

A whole new job would be created, the Toruist Behavioural Integrity Warden (TBIW) would patrol tourists areas with radio link to coffeeshops and pubs, sourvernier shops etc  if you are caught being one of the typical idiot types of tourists by a TBIW or reported by a shop owner etc then you'd be banned from all the pleasures and a stamp put in your passport dated for a 5 year review in the hope they will mature, you have to show your passport to enter a coffeeshop/smartshop like proving your age, anyone with a stamp does not get in, a simple email in your conditions of travel stating your obligations as a responsible toruist as soon as your have purchased travel conditions to visit NL, also anyone with a valid stamp in their passport is refused entry to the country until it expires.

Quote:

intense_cutn said:
Quote:

GGTBod said:
State your source!!

Are you asking me to state my source?

?

--------------------
and hear.
millionth of reality.

Edited by Artnotwar (10/03/11 10:19 AM)

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#15171110 - 10/03/11 10:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

yup

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

#15171128 - 10/03/11 10:25 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you re-read my first post in the thread, it clearly says I have heard RUMOURS.
Would you really like to hear a source for rumours i have heard on the street and don't even believe myself because they are just that, rumours?
If i ever claimed it to be a fact, I'd be quite happy to supply sources.

--------------------
and hear.
millionth of reality.

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#15171146 - 10/03/11 10:29 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry for the misread, rumours are also known as scaremongering, you terrified half the board with your thread title lol

OfflineGGTBod
Bod
Male User Gallery

#15171151 - 10/03/11 10:31 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

intense_cutn said:
If you re-read my first post in the thread, it clearly says I have heard RUMOURS.
Would you really like to hear a source for rumours i have heard on the street and don't even believe myself because they are just that, rumours?
If i ever claimed it to be a fact, I'd be quite happy to supply sources.

If you reread your first post you will clearluy see the word rumours is not used anywhere, you say "You heard" lol

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

#15171178 - 10/03/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Maybe you should re-read the whole thread. I was not the OP!

--------------------
and hear.
millionth of reality.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder