Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Well that about sums it up!
    #1512070 - 05/01/03 05:03 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

From Aldous Huxley's The Doors of Perception:

I took my [mescalin] pill at eleven. An hour and a half later, I was sitting in my study, looking intently at a small glass vase. The vase contained only three flowers- a full blown Belle of Portugal rose, shell pink with a hint at every petal's base of a hotter, flamier blue; a large genta and cream-colored carnation; and, pale purple at the end of its broken stalk, the bold heraldic blossom of an iris. Fortuitous and provisional, the little nosegay broke all the rules of good taste. At breakfast that morning I had been struck by the lively dissonance of colors. But that was no longer the point. I was not looking now at an unusual flower arrangement. I was seeing what Adam had seen on the morning of his creation- the miracle, moment by moment, of naked existence.

"Is it agreeable?" somebody asked.

"Neither agreeable nor disagreeable," I answered. "It just is."

Istigkeit- wasn't that the word Meister Eckhart liked to use? "Is-ness." The Being of Platonic philosophy- except that Plato seems to have made the enormous, the grotesque mistake of separating Being from becoming and identifying it with the mathematical abstraction of the Idea.

WHOA  :shocked:

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Edited by buttonion (05/01/03 05:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: buttonion]
    #1512201 - 05/01/03 05:43 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I like it but the language sounds constructed.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #1513488 - 05/01/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yep, huxley was a writter, i'm sure every word out of his mouth sounded constructed.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: thestringphish]
    #1513592 - 05/01/03 11:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I bought the book in question last week along with doc tim learys psychedelic experience. Im looking forward to the read

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Offlinethestringphish
vajrayana

Loc: on my way to another plac...
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: Sole_Worthy]
    #1516403 - 05/03/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

did you get the copy that comes with "Heaven and Hell" also? thats the one I read. "Heaven and Hell" was one of the most brilliant things i had read up to that point, and said alot about religion that i was thinking but did not know how to put into words.

--------------------
Ken Wilbur

"this is life changing"

welcomehome

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: thestringphish]
    #1516424 - 05/03/03 12:14 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

did you get the copy that comes with "Heaven and Hell" also?

Yes :grin:

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: Well that about sums it up! [Re: buttonion]
    #1517385 - 05/03/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, this book is great. I had no idea it was only about 80 pages. I can't wait to read "Heaven and Hell."

Quote:

Istigkeit- wasn't that the word Meister Eckhart liked to use? "Is-ness." The Being of Platonic philosophy- except that Plato seems to have made the enormous, the grotesque mistake of separating Being from becoming and identifying it with the mathematical abstraction of the Idea.

There are so many quotable parts of this book. I thought this was one of them because I think it illuminates an idea that has been a core part of much eastern thought. It's just the simple idea that the use of the "concept" or "idea" has led us to essentially forget about the fact that everyTHING is in a constant state of flux. We all do know this, but the fleeting, temporary nature of things is not really part of our default definitions of "things." Like, when you think of a good friend, you may think of this or that quality that you like or dislike, but do you always think of the fact that he or she is constantly changing, is not the same person as just a few seconds ago, and will inevitably die? Not likely. It is an aspect of every thing we value that we would rather not dwell on- "things" are changing. Although it helps humans to think of nature in terms of a bunch of static, unchanging things, the world is not made up this way, and this becomes abundantly clear when we have a chance to step out of our conditioned way of thinking- Breaking nature down into "things" is just how humans model the world in the mind.

Many of us make the mistake of separating "being" from "becoming."

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order