Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Loc: Mountains of N. America Flag
Leading a Practical Life
    #15160460 - 09/30/11 11:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey all so it has been over a year since I actively posted to this forum. There have been a lot of experiences outside of the Shroomery.  :bliss: Hope everyone has been leading splendid, wonderful lives, and following their dreams. But I came back on tonight to ask you all a question? :smile:

What do you all think of the question: "What does it mean to lead a practical life, and how does one define a 'practical life'"

To me a practical life would be a life that recognizes its own reality and deals with it appropriately. A practical life means living with no illusions, and figuring things out for yourself, so you can accomplish what YOU want out of life. It also means taking into account the world around and understanding each and every person's place in it.

So....lets discuss! What is a practical life??

Also, glad to be back :hippie:

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Edited by BrainChemistry (09/30/11 11:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Loc: Being a burden
Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: BrainChemistry]
    #15160539 - 09/30/11 11:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

IMO my life is only practical when I am living it the way I want to live it.

--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."  - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: dustinthewind13]
    #15160592 - 09/30/11 11:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That sounds VERY practical!!

But how do you know that what you WANT is practical?

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

#15160608 - 09/30/11 11:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Because it would make me happy.

--------------------
"It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure, till you know there is no hook beneath it." -Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

#15160634 - 09/30/11 11:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet! You pass the test! :smile:

What do you think of the Golden Rule?

“…thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.”, Leviticus 19:18

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

#15160653 - 10/01/11 12:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If he also loves me, then I don't see why not.

--------------------

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

#15160660 - 10/01/11 12:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If he doesn't love you? What do you do....spread bad rumors about him? :shakefist:

--------------------
Word to your mom.

InvisibleDieCommie

#15160679 - 10/01/11 12:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:

Doesn't sound very practical...

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: BrainChemistry] * 1
    #15160681 - 10/01/11 12:07 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would rather choose to not have anything to do with them.

--------------------

Edited by dustinthewind13 (10/01/11 12:08 AM)

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: DieCommie]
    #15160699 - 10/01/11 12:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Quote:

BrainChemistry said:

Doesn't sound very practical...

Why doesn't that sound practical?

Shouldn't we all begin from here?

--------------------
Word to your mom.

OfflineBrainChemistry
Captain Obvious
 User Gallery

#15160702 - 10/01/11 12:13 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

dustinthewind13 said:
I would rather choose to not have anything to do with them.

You don't have to have anything to do with them.

Just when you meet them or encounter them in your daily life, remember that they are your neighbor and it would be a practical idea to show them kindness. :smile:

--------------------
Word to your mom.

Edited by BrainChemistry (10/01/11 12:14 AM)

Invisibledustinthewind13
Fool
 User Gallery

#15160714 - 10/01/11 12:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That is a good way of dealing with someone you have an aversion to. :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleAmoeboid
seriously deliriously
Male

#15162446 - 10/01/11 01:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:

I've never loved much... maybe my young nephew, and my sister and parents.

Loving my neighbors is kind of a silly thought, to me. I treat them like I treat most people, with a heaping dose of indifference.

--------------------
Philosophically, the contents of the jar gave no advice.

InvisibleLunarEclipse
Enlil's Official Story
Male User Gallery

Loc: Building 7
Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: Amoeboid]
    #15162494 - 10/01/11 01:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Amoeboid said:
Quote:

BrainChemistry said:

I've never loved much... maybe my young nephew, and my sister and parents.

Loving my neighbors is kind of a silly thought, to me. I treat them like I treat most people, with a heaping dose of indifference.

Well sometimes I talk to the one old guy but he isn't out walking as much.  The other ones I say hi to.  Occasionally I will wave to a random car.  One guy I always wave to so that's a given.  But that's it for loving my neighbors.  And who is this "thyself" dude.  Get a grip.

--------------------
Anxiety is what you make it.

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: Leading a Practical Life [Re: LunarEclipse]
    #15163987 - 10/01/11 07:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

We overcomplicate everything, it's our modern trend. All this shit we have, with no idea how to use it, and eventually the tension builds and we annihiliate eachother.

When people want things, they want so much for so little gain. They don't realise their little power trip is a mediocre emotion. They don't know exhiliration, love or happiness.

So simple is the scheme we're in that you do not need anything but yourself. Shelter and food is great of course, but you know what I mean. Emotionally, socially even, you don't need anything more than you...

All I do is go with the flow. Every new task is a new me. I don't bother trying to build a life up. Assets come and go, all I care about is what they lead to, and they don't lead to much, because the best moments of our lives will be generated by our minds, not by our TVs or cars or properties or social status.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

OfflineZunox1
Habitual Line Stepper
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #15166820 - 10/02/11 12:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BrainChemistry said:
...living with no illusions, and figuring things out for yourself, so you can accomplish what YOU want out of life. It also means taking into account the world around and understanding each and every person's place in it.

So....lets discuss! What is a practical life??

Also, glad to be back :hippie:

Welcome back :hug: (been overusing this smiley, but it's all good).

I also will generally refer to 'people' in this following post... And I generally will mean Americans. It's who I'm around, and it's who I know. Not trying to outright offend people here, so I'm very sorry if I do- let me know :thumbup:.

I don't necessarily have much input on a 'practical' life, but I think these couple lines you wrote are great. Figuring things out for yourself, learning your somewhat-limits, taking into account more than what you see in a 2-second confrontation with somebody, doing what you want. VERY important.

I can't stand people who honestly think things like "I'm in serious trouble if I don't eat soon... It's been since like, last night since I've had any food." or other crap that's just a massive underestimation of the human body (cause that crap ends up causing panic attacks n sending people to the hospital unneccessarily and stuff) I used to do it too, and with some body-types, lack of food for a not-very-long period starts to have some effects (such as football/sports players: I played football in highschool, about 6 hours between meals before my stomach would hurt)... But overall I'm talking about your average person... Or when people have NEVER given a physical or even mental task their ENTIRE effort... I truly think one major thing that holds people back is not knowing how/not wanting to give their all... Like I'm DEFINITELY not a very athletic/nimble person, but last year in our dorm-hall lounge, I climbed a stone pillar/latched onto a metal railing (not a feat at all, honestly, especially considering what some parkour people do) to climb to the 2nd floor of the lounge... A few pretty athletic dudes we were with couldn't (I believe they simply wouldn't try hard enough) do it... And it wasn't simply they tried half-assed... They were just only going about 3/4 probably, while I gladly go 100% for that crap. And just overall I seem to be a much more capable person than most with my setup (brain/body); though still not amazing, too many drugs :sad:.

Like I know a human can go over a week without food (depending on circumstances... But 1 week is rather easy for a human)... But your average American FREAKS if breakfast & lunch are missed- go home early and eat/rest up... Just makes me sorta sick... After not eating for almost 3 weeks, living off powerade/milk, I kinda know what it's about to REALLY have no energy.

In my life, I try to take into account everyone's personal place in life; if you wrong me (or someone), and you truly believed you were doing right, then I cannot be mad at you. I may be upset temporarily, but if you truly (bottom of your heart) thought that I needed a ____... And gave me that (a kick in the ass?), then you did right by me. I would rather have people doing what they believe than what they are simply told/herded into.

Blind faith is really hard to trust, but knowing where and when to trust it, you can come out a huge winner.

Riding in a car with my mother makes me truly sad. Seeing the amount of hatred felt by most drivers, toward most other drivers.... Is the 3 seconds you're about to save -insert angry unnecessary driving move- (not letting this guy in your lane)'ing really worth it? Also just the pure hate... 'Fuck you, my lane', as you are rolling up to a red light. Peoples lives get put in danger for 2-3 seconds saved on your way to/from work, makes me sad.

Edit: sorry for the long rant/post... Stimulants :facepalm:.
"All I do is go with the flow. Every new task is a new me. I don't bother trying to build a life up. Assets come and go, all I care about is what they lead to, and they don't lead to much, because the best moments of our lives will be generated by our minds, not by our TVs or cars or properties or social status."

Solid words. One thing I have to say is that one of the main reasons I try to acquire assets (which are very few, and I hardly try), is so I can share them with my friends. Honestly, social status doesn't mean shit to me (I'm cooler than him no way!! :rolleyes:)... All that matters is that i have at least a couple friends, and that they are true friends... Honestly having some assets does make some times better, but I haven't had a single time in my life where money spent solo felt better than money shared with my friends...

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Edited by Zunox1 (10/02/11 12:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order