Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetryptographer
Stranger
watch out for those flies
    #15158127 - 09/30/11 03:25 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

First post, I just registered to make this point.

My latest cultivation attempts were very low yield and I noticed some small black fruitfly-like insects in the fruiting chamber (PF tek). I assumed they flew in after birthing but I WAS WRONG! Today I opened a jar and little flies were all over the verm top layer. Yuck!

They infected the cakes through the inoculation holes which I had covered with alu foil, but apparently that´s not enough. They smell that delicious mycelium from a distance and go to great effort to get there, even through tiny openings! Next time I´ll tape the holes.

In hindsight this may explain my unusually high contamination rate  lately. I blamed it on homemade spore syringes but the bugs are now another possibility.

I´ve been cultivating for over ten years and hardly had any contamination unril recently... they enter the hole, dig through the protective layer of vermiculite and do their damage, being not exactly sterile!

I´ll watch out for them, and keep the house ultra-clean.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePitcherCrab
Crescent Fresh
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The bottom of the sea.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: watch out for those flies [Re: tryptographer]
    #15158293 - 09/30/11 04:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yum yum yum fungus gnats! I have had some major problems with them before. Also I just had a major moth problem. They ate ALL of my grain. :mad:

--------------------
PitcherCrab's LAGM 2021
Trade List

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.” - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Offlinebiohaze
Hellish Shroomer
Male

Re: watch out for those flies [Re: PitcherCrab]
    #15171584 - 10/03/11 02:28 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds like its time to get the mothballs out lol. . . Its bug season in full force around here. . . gnats, carpentry ants, moths everywhere!

But ya its gotta be bad when you prepare for another grow and come to check your grain and its disappered!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation