Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing
    #6514555 - 01/30/07 10:05 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

has anyone heard of this or have any direct info on how to implement?

quote from the patent

Claims:
What is claimed is:

1. In a method of producing fruit bodies of an edible mushroom comprising the steps of inoculating in a plurality of locations with a spawn of Agaricus blazei onto a compost bed, allowing the spawn to run on the compost bed, and then casing the compost bed with casing soil, thereby causing the fruit bodies to be produced, the improvement wherein said casing covers the surface of the compost bed, and at least one obstacle is buried underneath the top surface of said casing soil and placed at a position of a spawn aggregation layer of the Agaricus blazei which is formed above the surface of said compost bed in said casing soil.

2. A method of producing fruit bodies of an edible mushroom according to claim 1, wherein at least one obstacle is composed of a frame assembled in a lattice form. .

3. A method of producing fruit bodies of an edible mushroom according to claim 2, wherein the producing temperature of the compost bed and the atmosphere surrounding the compost bed is maintained at least at 28.degree. C., an the humidity of the atmosphere surrounding the compost bed is maintained at 95%.

4. A method of producing fruit bodies of an edible mushroom according to claim 3, wherein said casing covers the entire top surface of the compost bed so that the casing soil is laid uniformly to have a thickness of 5 cm, and wherein said at least one obstacle has a thickness of 3cm

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6514571 - 01/30/07 10:11 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

another neat thing people are doing w/ brasilensis... ridges in the casing

From Characteristics and Cultivation Technology of Agaricus blazei

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6514903 - 01/30/07 11:28 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting. I wonder what the lattice is for? Perhaps mass harvesting? Perhaps the patent is for something the mushrooms fruit through 'in spite of' rather than 'because of'. But then again, we all know mushrooms will fruit through just about anything.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6515288 - 01/31/07 05:28 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i have a feeling its for uniformity of pinset. if there was a lattice obstacle in the casing the mycelium would be forced to go threw the lattice, in essence makin islands of mycelium reach the top first, rather then one solid mass

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #6515385 - 01/31/07 07:03 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I've considered using chicken wire in between the substrate and the casing layer for easy casing removal, but figured i'm not THAT lazy. lol

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6516440 - 01/31/07 01:12 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Dupont commercial grade landscape fabric
(spun-bonded polyester, held against a light)
Air/gas & moisture pass right through it.
Tough as nails & will not rot.

I had these bags, made out of it.
Comes in 3, 4 & 6 ft wide rolls, 100ft long.

You can lay it directly on freshly applied casing.
(fabric should be either sterilized, or pasteurized first).

Rhizo will grow right through it, form fruits & flushes.
Makes clean harvesting EASY.
Can be laundered, if edges are folded over & sewed.
(fabric edges will fray, during laundering, if not sewn)

I have some pictures on a old hard drive.
(removed before PC went to recycle parts heaven)
But, would have to resurrect & wire it up to get at them.

Sidebar- I have daydreamed about pasteurizing a 40 lb landscape fabric bag of substrate, draining to about 68% moisture capacity, adding 20% P. cubensis wbs/grain spawn, placing a 2 mil plastic shroud over the hanging bag, with gas exchange provision, while bag colonized. Once colonized, strip off shroud, expose hanging bag to fruiting conditions. If bag was suspended on a pulley, one could mist from top down, to supplement moisture & dunk bag to rehydrate, between flushes.:rolleyes:

--------------------

Offlinepokermush
Waterboardingmyself toprotect America!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Utah
Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: agar]
    #6516821 - 01/31/07 03:14 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Love that idea agar! I have some of that laying around, plus some extra fully colonized jars of grain, I'll have to play with it!

I ordered a bunch of small burlap bags for making logs. I thought the burlap would make a nice artificial "bark", be eaten by the mushrooms, and eliminate the plastic waste with bags and plastic logs. Anyway, my first experiments failed because the surface of the burlap is so perfectly formed for catching and growing mold.

The last batch I tried, I dunked the burlap in boiling water with added lime (>10 pH), which I'm hoping will create a hostile environment for molds. A peroxide dunk would probably work well too. Then the burlap can be incubated in small tubs until colonized, then moved to fruiting conditions.

If I can get this to work, it seems like it would be an ideal way for growing some varieites like shiitake and oysters. Might also be a better way to make straw logs, as the straw can be packed very densely.

Offlinepokermush
Waterboardingmyself toprotect America!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Utah
Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: pokermush]
    #6516850 - 01/31/07 03:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Also a thought on this patent.

In Growing Gourmet & Medicinal Mushrooms, Stamets mentions that to produce the portobello form, growers will try to suppress early fruiting.

Maybe the purpose of this patent is to inhibit the formation of many fruits, so that more of the larger fruits can be produced.

On another note, this patenting is getting out of hand. Next week, I think I'll file a patent application for the letter "A". It probably has a 50/50 chance :rolleyes:

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: agar]
    #6517012 - 01/31/07 04:30 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting stuff agar. Do you think it would increase the chances of contamination? Is it hard to see how far your casing has been colonized with it on top?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6517108 - 01/31/07 04:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Myc/rhyzo grows right up through it.
So, you can see it, in & on top the fabric.
It did not increase contamination.
Although, you cannot see whats underneath it.
So long as the substrate fruits out & keeps on fruiting.
It was no problem.

--------------------

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
    #6523269 - 02/02/07 12:16 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

ok well i read about this in growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms. basically you place a lattice like structure over the top of the casing, or within the casing, and this prevents fruits from developing in the area where the lattice is. Imagine your regular fencing lattice, you place that on top of the casing and the fruiting bodies form in the holes between latticework. Thus, you have less fruitbodies per area of casing surface, increasing the size and uniformity of the flushes. This is what i got from it...

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: whythewho]
    #6523298 - 02/02/07 12:22 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

its similar to roger rabbits method of pruning pins one shiitake to produce one massive fruit, instead of multiple, smaller fruits, imo

--------------------
spiral out!

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: patent for growing a. brasilensis(blazei) w/ an obstacle in the casing [Re: whythewho]
    #6523704 - 02/02/07 02:12 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i wonder what we can use for a lattice, that can be sterilized/pasteurized. i imagine the fabric agar posted would not provide the same amount of non-fruiting space.

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

#6525778 - 02/03/07 08:18 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

well honestly, why couldnt you just wipe a section of some regular plastic lattice down with isopropyl or some such?

--------------------
spiral out!

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#6525781 - 02/03/07 08:19 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

plastic lattice... great :smile:

OfflineFried Brains
    #15154623 - 09/29/11 06:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

You dont need this at all , this is for state of the art proffesional production, anyway if you are growing for you own use who the dickens is going to know anyway ?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds