Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetylerbh555
Stranger
new to pnw; yellow puffballs, pholiota, oyster, oregonensis???
    #15149007 - 09/28/11 09:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

so i just moved out to the pnw from the south east about a month ago. the rains have started (finally) and i got to say the woods are pretty different out here....lots of new stuff i'll need some IDs for. heres some i found last week...

Habitat: soil, wood chips

Cap: 2-3 in diameter, yellow, kind of reminds me of a yellow portabella so far

Other information: popped up overnight in my garden maybe 3 days ago, the second one happened the next day, and have just been chilln on the surface with little change ever since. i didnt want to pick them yet because i figured they had some more growing to do. but so far theres no stem. im guessing its some sort of yellow puffball, but i really dont know much about them

habitat: underside of dead log (probably conifer)

cap: <half inch but i think they're all babies; bright yellow & scaly

gills: werent open yet so idk attachment but one was broken and could see the gills, yellow

stem: yellow and scaly

other info: found them on the backside of a log, these guys and a bunch that had barely started so i just left them. caps were all closed still but the whole thing was brighter yellow than a sunflower all the way through and had little scaly things that fell off pretty easy all over.  no buising but stains everything it touches (hands, paper) yellow. didnt have the camera with me when i found them so this pics a few days later. i think its some pholiota, possibly pholiota flammans.

then i saw a bunch of these dudes growing on hardwoods, i think theyre oysters but ive never seen them in the wild (except maybe when theyre halfway rotted). most were growing on hardwood trees, but some were on logs. some were all white, others brown or tan with a creamish underside. i left them all cause i just stay away from whites

this dude was gettn old

then this clump of dudes was on a dead log, idk what type, but hes kinda tough and leathery (though not overly so) and spongy underneath

then theres these dudes growing in soil EVERYWHERE, i just want to clear the question once and for all. theyre small flimsy grey-offwhite tops or sometimes tanish (those maybe similar but different idk...they seem pretty close) both have darker gills...dark grey i guess

so yeah thats basically it for now. i know its a lot of different things in one but any and all info would be great. im like 99% sure none of them are active, and thats not really what im questioning. more like edibility (even if its not supposed to taste good), medicinal or no, lookalikes to be aware of in the area, how to distinguish/key features, will it kill me or how sick will i get, stuff like that.

also....im seeing a bunch of different polypores around. i used to hunt ganoderma out east and ive heared of the oregonensis. ive seen a lot of polypores that are reminiscent of what i know, and several that are vaguely similar but definitely not, but even in the reminiscent ones i feel like i see a lot of differences between each other. basically i think there are a lot of oregonensis look alikes about and just wanted to know what they could be be and how to distinguish between them all, and i guess medicinal vs toxic qualities. ill get some pics next time im out.

any and all help would be great, thanks.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesuchen
Once and Future Noob
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shangri-la
Trusted Identifier
Re: new to pnw; yellow puffballs, pholiota, oyster, oregonensis??? [Re: tylerbh555]
    #15149066 - 09/28/11 09:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Nice finds! Are these all just right around your house?

1) Maybe Scleroderma, a poisonous group of puffballs.

2) Looks like a honey mushroom.

3) Any more photos of the gills? Sure look like tasty oysters to me :awesomenod:

4-a bunch) Still look like oysters, just a different species.

Big white clump of shrooms) ?? not sure

Final mushroom) looks like a Parasola methinks. Not active.

--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification