Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Loc: 'sconsin Flag
Re: Possible Datura patch (ID)..???? [Re: rev0kadavur]
    #15147747 - 09/28/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Even though this sounds crazy, this looked like it was a cultivated patch.

It was really hidden (relatively) and it was only in the corner of the cornfield. As if someone destroyed 20 square feet of corn and spread the seeds. Notice (if you can) that there isn't any corn growing within the patch. Perhaps it starved the corn out before it had a chance:shrug:, but the way it was perfectly cornered in the field made it look like there should have been 30 cannabis plants there instead.

I cant imagine somebody growing Datura instead of some other, more productive plant, but shit was weird, even before I noticed what it was.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Datura patch (ID)..???? [Re: shLong]
    #15147771 - 09/28/11 03:35 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Oh, and there weren't any flowers like I see in most of the photos. Perhaps they flower earlier in the season or something.

Offlinerev0kadavur
Forager
Female User Gallery

Loc: Richmond & Beyond - California Flag
    #15147998 - 09/28/11 04:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Once the pods fully develop the flowers are usually done and gone. as the pods dry out they will pop open and disperse the seeds, sometimes hundreds of them per pod. When the fields where they've been growing get disked, it thoroughly spreads the seeds and normally causes huge patches of datura. Knowing how things go in the country lands, there could be a reason this corner of the field can't be used. It could be a leech field for a septic system, it could be a spot where water collects or an underground spring, which would make the ground unworkable for most tractors and not a good place for plants unless they are water loving, like willows. If it is a spring, there could also be a local water ordinance preventing any possible disturbances of the spring. There could be many reasons for this, but I highly doubt they are intentionally growing jimson weed. Im actually surprised they are not gigantic plants being next to all the nitrogen the corn is getting. Jimson weed seeds regularly make there way into various feed-grains that are collected out of fields such as corn, but only in small amounts. Its more of a nuisance than anything else. Personally, I enjoy the twisty flowers and spike balls. Ive learned to co-exist with jimson weed.

--------------------
- Question # Everything -

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
    #15148015 - 09/28/11 04:24 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Daturas are pretty common as an ornamental in my area, I think the ones I see are D. meteloides but stramonium turns up too. Brugmansias are quite a bit rarer but you do see them. Interesting that someone would grow them in a patch hidden away somewhere like this, like you would expect to see with pot.

I wouldn't say my experienced with Datura and Brugmansia were bad (smoking small amounts of leaves or flowers for a borderline buzz) but I would never touch it today or recommend it to anyone except as an interesting ornamental for someone with no kids or pets. There are some neat stories about Datura in Carlos Castenada's books.

Offlinerev0kadavur
Forager
Female User Gallery

#15148027 - 09/28/11 04:26 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This time of year this should be no flowers left, missed em by about a month. Plants & pods are still green, seeds are under-developed.

--------------------

Offlinerev0kadavur
Forager
Female User Gallery

Re: Possible Datura patch (ID)..???? [Re: psi]
    #15148064 - 09/28/11 04:34 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Brugmansias are the only ones sold for its looks around here, very pretty tree!
Almost gave in to trying the brugmansias, glad I didn't waste my mental state on that.
I use to see meteloides grown in landscaping, but now I only find it as a weed in my veggie garden!
Stramonium thrives around here, period. There are easily Thousands of them in my orchard right now.

--------------------

Edited by rev0kadavur (09/28/11 04:35 PM)

InvisibleshLong
Male User Gallery

Re: Possible Datura patch (ID)..???? [Re: rev0kadavur]
    #15148433 - 09/28/11 05:19 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info, rev

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals