Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

Cannabis "Could Kill Thousands"
    #1514103 - 05/02/03 08:28 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Regular cannabis use may be as dangerous as smoking in the long term, claims a UK drug expert.

Professor John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College London, says he fears that deaths attributable to cannabis could soar.

There are currently an estimated 3.2 million people in the Britain who smoke cannabis regularly, compared with 13 million tobacco smokers.

Smoking tobacco is believed to cause approximately 120,000 "excess deaths" a year through heart disease, lung cancers and other illnesses.

However, there is no firm evidence of the long-term risks of smoking cannabis.

Studies are clouded by the fact that many cannabis users also smoke tobacco, and it is hard to conduct large-scale studies of individuals who admit using illegal drugs.

The government intends to "downgrade" cannabis from a class "B" to a class "C" drug.

This means that while possession of small quantities of cannabis remains illegal, it is not an "arrestable" offence unless there are aggravating factors, such as use of cannabis near children.

'Scaremongering'

However, Professor Henry, in an editorial for the British Medical Journal, said that if, as many scientists suspected, regular cannabis smoking was as dangerous as tobacco smoking in the long term, the annual death toll from using the drug could be substantial.

He wrote: "It may be argued that the extrapolation from small numbers of individual studies to potential large scale effects amounts to scaremongering.

"For example, one could calculate that if cigarettes cause an annual excess of 120,000 deaths among 13 million smokers, the corresponding figure for deaths among 3.2 million cannabis smokers would be 30,000, assuming equality of effect.

"Even if the number of deaths attributable to cannabis turned out to be a fraction of that figure, smoking cannabis would still be a major public health hazard."

Uncertain future

However, there are various reasons why the likely future death toll caused by cannabis smoking is uncertain, not least the lack of large scale studies investigating this.

It is not yet clear whether the high number of younger people who smoke cannabis regularly will continue the habit into middle and later life.

If not, then their risk of premature death would theoretically be greatly reduced, just as a smoker can radically reduce his or her risk of lung cancer by giving up before middle age.

However, some studies suggest that even though cannabis use involves fewer "cigarettes", users tend to draw more heavily on them, increasing the potential damage from each "joint".

Professor Henry said that both cannabis and tobacco released approximately 4,000 chemicals when burned - most of them identical.

From The BBC

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Cannabis [Re: Jackal]
    #1514288 - 05/02/03 10:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Well. Duh. Lighting ANYTHING on fire and inhaling the burning remains into your lungs isnt healthy. Its one or the other for me, and I choose dope.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

Re: Cannabis "Could Kill Thousands" [Re: Jackal]
    #1514325 - 05/02/03 11:01 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

From The BBC

ah, yes the BBC. Such a wonderful news source. Bringing through extrodinary news breaks like... in 1957 when they announced Swiss farmers were having a good year with their spaghetti trees, 1980 the BBC reported that Big Ben, in order to keep up with the times, was going to be given a digital readout, in 1973 BBC Radio broadcast an interview with an elderly academic, Dr. Clothier, who discoursed on the government's efforts to stop the spread of Dutch Elm Disease... in reality Dr. Clothier was the comedian Spike Mulligan, In 1965 BBC TV featured an interview with a professor who had just invented a device called "smellovision.", In 1977 the BBC gave airtime to Tom Jackson, General Secretary of the British Union of Post Office Workers. Mr. Jackson was up in arms about a recent proposal that the British mail adopt the German method of addressing envelopes in which the house number is written after the name of the road, not before it... however, there were no plans to change the way the British addressed their mail

Learn all about those things here!

--------------------

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Cannabis [Re: wyldtouch69]
    #1514347 - 05/02/03 11:13 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

BBC is cool though. I watch here over here, in America, and british sitcoms are on the whole much much better than those produced here....

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleToTheExtreme, LOL
That Bug up yourAss
Male

Loc: Where there's fresh powde...
Re: Cannabis [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #5805547 - 06/30/06 03:20 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

anyone who smokes weed knows the inherent physical dangers, or at least should. but IMHO the benefits outweigh the harm.

--------------------

What can I say??? I like this shit!!
You've been slissed!
despisedicon said:
We all know the reasons why 50 Cent and Korn are gay faggots. You suck at life and I'm not talking about the board game fella.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Cannabis [Re: ToTheExtreme, LOL]
    #5807329 - 06/30/06 07:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

as stated, all things burning are bad for you, and how can you call them the same if their chemicals are "similar".

seratonin and dmt are "similar" but u dont see me smokin 5-htp and tripping balls. off subject, but same scenario.

also, neither nicotine nor THC has been related to cancer in a negative way.

http://leda.lycaeum.org/?ID=10648
^ after reading that im sure you will know the cause of cancer from cigarettes

shamanspalace sells great nicotiana rustica, you might consider this over cigs now, and trust me its GOOD :thumbup:

and if cigarettes are causing 120,000 deaths per year, and cannabis is only causing 30,000, it doesn't make much to be focusing on our "cannabis problem"

this guys talking out of his ass, ide like to see a report saying someone died from smoking pot.

Offlinewhiteknight
shroomologist
 User Gallery

Loc: East coast
Re: Cannabis [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5807576 - 06/30/06 09:05 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

We're all going to die anyway....why can't we chose?

--------------------
Dreaming of that face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with its three warm and wild eyes.

On my back and tumbling
Down that hole and back again
Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Cannabis [Re: Jackal]
    #5810908 - 07/01/06 11:41 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Cannabis "could kill thousands?"

Automobiles do kill thousands
Guns do kill thousands
Cigarettes do kill hundreds of thousands
Wars do kill millions

Kiss my hairy ass, Professor John Henry.

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Cannabis [Re: DNKYD]
    #5811078 - 07/02/06 12:33 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The real point is its my life and I can kill myself however I want. I like cars I like guns I like booze, cigarettes and weed....hmm come to think of it statistically I should be dead by now then.

Offlineunseenat17
Midnight Toker
Male

Re: Cannabis [Re: CoolMojo]
    #5812195 - 07/02/06 01:37 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

that is why they made a lil device called a vape. Drastically reduces toxins inhaled while smoking tobacco or marijuana.

--------------------

-=Be a part of the movement=-
http://www.norml.org/
-=Support the free spore rings=-
Canada www.fsrcanada.com
Europe http://www.fsre.nl/

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Cannabis [Re: unseenat17]
    #5812242 - 07/02/06 01:54 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

unseenat17 said:
that is why they made a lil device called a vape. Drastically reduces toxins inhaled while smoking tobacco or marijuana.

Don't let the general public know that. Then the propagandists will lose yet another phony bullet in their arsenal against sick and dying patients.

Offlineunseenat17
Midnight Toker
Male

Re: Cannabis [Re: DNKYD]
    #5814038 - 07/03/06 12:56 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

heh...yeah no shit. A now completely harmless substance, still ridiculed by the general public for no reason.

--------------------

-=Be a part of the movement=-
http://www.norml.org/
-=Support the free spore rings=-
Canada www.fsrcanada.com
Europe http://www.fsre.nl/

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cannabis [Re: unseenat17]
    #5814913 - 07/03/06 08:14 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

> A now completely harmless substance, still ridiculed by the general public for no reason.

Don't fool yourself. Nothing is completely harmless, not even water. By claiming that cannabis is completely harmless, you are just as wrong as those that claim cannabis is more dangerous than cigarettes.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, Vaporizer

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service