Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewacked
Ylide
 User Gallery
Loc: Hawaii
freezing not dry mushies???
    #1513647 - 05/02/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I have some mushies from last fall and noticed ice on the bag in the freezer. I picked off the top layer of ice off of them and therw them away. Are the others still salvageable. After they have been frozen can they be taken back out to dry more throughly since they didnt get dry enough the first time? They seemed dry before they went into the freezer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: freezing not dry mushies??? [Re: wacked]
    #1513815 - 05/02/03 01:38 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Freezing mushrooms is the worst thing you can do to them.

And freeze drying is not drying shrooms putting them in a baggie and then freezing them.

Freeze drying is a process where one puts his fresh mushrooms into a cannister or jar with a hose attached to it which goes to a compressor and container filled with dry ice. Then the air and water are sucked out of the shrooms leaving them weightless like a whiffle ball. That is freeze drying. Problem is it is bulky since the shrooms keep their exact shape when picked and are so lite but take up bulk space.

mjshroomers./

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: freezing not dry mushies??? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1514209 - 05/02/03 07:55 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Freeze drying does exactly what the name implies... by lowering the pressure the water in the shrooms boils off at very low temperatures. A cold trap, away from shrooms is used to collect the water. This is the 'space age' way to dry and preserve food. The machines that are used to do this are a bit pricey for the home consumer.

When you toss fresh shrooms in your freezer, you are not drying them, but slow freezing them. As the water in the shrooms turns to ice, it expands. This is a slow process that works from the outside to the center. As the inner cells start to freeze, they grind against their already frozen neighbors and break apart. (Just like a road full of potholes after a hard winter.) As the cells burst and rupture, they allow any magic being protected to be attacked by oxygen, light, heat, etc. When the fruit thaws you will have a big puddle of blackish sludge that has little strength left.

Simple rule: Fresh mushrooms + freezer = bad. Dry mushrooms + freezer = good.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: freezing not dry mushies??? [Re: Seuss]
    #1514247 - 05/02/03 08:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dry mushrooms + freezer = good

I have to disagree. I bought fie ounces of P. cubensis which were dried. Then they were put in the freezer byt trhew person who gave them to me. I put thenm into a suitcase and took th3e train from San francisco to Eureka/Arcada. The next day i opened the suitcase and the smell of the shrooms was atrocious. Theuy thawed and became soiled and spoiled. Putting shrooms in a freezer, as I noted above, is horrible.

Do noit waste them.

Dried Liberty caps from England, more than 130 years old were analysed with shrooms picke dhere in America and were found to be as potent in analysis as the onbes colleced int he USA at the present daye.

Dry shrooms, if stored properly will last for many years.

However most shrooms cannot keep enough around to last very long.

mj.

InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger
Loc: under a pine
    #1514308 - 05/02/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hooo ! Where were those 130 years old Semilanceatas ? What is the story ? Interesting !!! Please, tell us ! i love shroom stories !!!

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1514324 - 05/02/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Theuy thawed and became soiled and spoiled.

If this is the case, and I don't doubt you, then they were not 100% dry before being placed in the freezer, or somehow got damp after being removed from the freezer.  I have never had a problem freezing dry fruit, but I have always gone to extremes... using dessicants to absorb extra moisture and carbon dioxide to displace oxygen.  I have stored dry mushrooms this way for over a year and had no noticable loss of potency, freshness, shape, or color.

I could see dry frozen fruit condensing water out of the air as they thaw.  I used to live above 5000 feet, so the air was very dry (usually RH was less than 20%) and condensation was not an issue.  If this is the case, then again freezing isn't the issue, but rather the environment in which they were thawed.

Who knows... fresh mushrooms are the way to go, regardless.  :smile: 

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: freezing not dry mushies??? [Re: Seuss]
    #1514623 - 05/02/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ANoterh problem has also occured when the buildings electricity was turned off for a whole weekend and several containers thawed and stunk up the place.

Drying is still and you know whatI have never ever used desicant and int he past I have had shrooms which had stayed dry for over 9 years and were very potent.

Today I keep no shrooms in my home but I do go out and pick a few and eat them and then go home.

Of course I have eaten them in other countries too.

But drying is the best way to keep them without any dangerts.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale