Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things...
    #1513630 - 05/02/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Photos from my latest cow paddock patrol:-

This is proof that dung lovers are still fruiting down-under, even though we?re almost in winter. Admitedly, this was the sole specimen found.

How?s that for a Cubensis look-a-like? Growing straight out of dung in the same field the above real cubie was found.

Another look-a-like growing from cow poop. Somebody else recently posted pictures of these mushrooms. Dunno if they?re poisonous, but they?re certainly not Psilocybes! As you can see, an inexperienced hunter could easily make a costly mistake though.

I was hoping these were maybe those were maybe Gymnopilus aeruginosa, but I?m totally inexperienced with that species having seen them only for the first time in a recent post on these forums! They didn?t bruise blue though. Can anyone ID them? Their odour had a strong scent of orange peels (and mushroom, of course).

Dunno what these are, they just looked interesting. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1513713 - 05/02/03 12:33 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

nice photos as always :smile:

that cubie looks tastiee

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: jimbu]
    #1513773 - 05/02/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

those look-a-likes look like amanitas sort of ive seen faded muscarias look similar.
those certainly look like gyms although thats all i can say not very informed on gyms. and the last ones i have no idea about. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1514275 - 05/02/03 08:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Nice finds (and photos).

The ones in the 2nd and 3rd photos look a lot like Stropharia rugosoannulata, although dung would be an unusual habitat for them.

The 4th photo looks like Gymnopilus or Pholiota. You will need to do a spore print and give a more detailed description for an ID on them.

The last one looks like one of the close relatives of Amanita vaginata. Did you notice a cuplike volva at the base of the stem? Given the habitat it could be down in the soil a little.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1514414 - 05/02/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

The last one looks like Amanita pachycolea to me, otherwise known as the Western Grisette.

Your ID is probably better though.

Amanita vaginata

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Edited by Joshua (05/02/03 09:49 AM)

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1515658 - 05/02/03 06:02 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Well, they're all growing on dung. I've found them before on horse poop too.

Thanks guys!

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1515662 - 05/02/03 06:05 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The 4th photo looks like Gymnopilus or Pholiota. You will need to do a spore print and give a more detailed description for an ID on them.

They didn't bruise blue at all - they didn't bruise any colour at all. So they're definitely not active...right?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1515827 - 05/02/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Wow! Great pics. Joshua - im worried about that pic you posted - i could see people getting that easily mixed up with a Volvaria.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1516051 - 05/02/03 09:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Joshua - Yeah, it definitely could be either. Without seeing it in person it's pretty hard to decide which it is. I only guessed which one based on the color of the cap as it appears on my monitor, which could be very different from the actual mushroom. And it could be wrong even if I'm seeing the right color.

oO_wombat-Oo - Not necessarily. Some of the active Gymnopilus species don't bruise blue or green. I'm not aware offhand of any active Pholiotas. Spore print color should help differentiate between the two genera. From there we can try to work it down to species.

The Amanitas in your last photo appear also to be growing from dung. But Amanita is a mycorrhizal genus, so they are actually growing in association with the trees nearby. (or was your comment about dung growing just about the Stropharias?)

bluemeanie - Fortunately the Grisettes are among the edible Amanitas (as long as they are well cooked - they are poisonous raw). And, of course, the white spore print should tell anybody that it's an Amanita. The real danger with Grisettes is the possibility of finding a deadly Amanita which has lost its ring somehow and then misidentifying it as a Grisette.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #1516053 - 05/02/03 09:11 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I am personally scared of eating any Amanita...even the muscaria I have found.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: Joshua]
    #1517145 - 05/03/03 07:15 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I agree! Even if that Amanita tastes fantastic, it aint worth.

--------------------

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #1517313 - 05/03/03 09:56 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Amanitas are for those moments when your plunged into hand to hand combate with large axes and hammers and berserker mode is your only hope of survival.

--------------------
stay off my land

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things [Re: cardboard]
    #1517767 - 05/03/03 02:53 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

"berserker mode is your only hope of survival"

sounds like someone plays Final Fantasy :smile:

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinepete_gasparino
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1518309 - 05/03/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

those look-alikes you find they grow everywhere down here on the south coast. I posted a few pictures of them before. I haven't taken full sporeprints, just quick and crappy ones, but from what I could tell they were coming up a dark colour, maybe purple. I have never got them to bruise a distinct blue.
As far as the top one goes, what kind of psilocybe would that be? I've found a similar looking, singular specimen on a walk a few weeks ago, growing straight from horse dung. It was really small and was lone, but I picked it and bruised it anyway...it bruised blue at first, then after a while bruised black, before drying completely.

Pete

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1518579 - 05/03/03 11:26 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

the first picture is of a P. cubensis. it is active. peace

blaze2

--------------------

Thomas Jefferson

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: pete_gasparino]
    #1518584 - 05/03/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Pete, it's a regular old golden top: Psilocybe cubensis.

Toxicman, can't get a spore print of the orange ones because I left them all there. Oh well, maybe next time. :wink:

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1519175 - 05/04/03 10:11 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

4th pic are probably Gymnopilus luteofolius,
Quote:

Gymnopilus luteofolius (Peck) Singer
Lilloa 22: 560. 1951.

Common Name: none

Synonym: Pholiota luteofolia

Pileus
Cap 2.5-8 cm broad, convex, broadly convex to nearly plane in age, often with a low umbo; margin incurved becoming decurved; surface squamulose, the squamules often raised at the disc, appressed near the margin or merely fibrillose, senescing to nearly glabrous; color: dull vinaceous-purple, soon fading to vinaceous-brown to dull brownish-pink; flesh firm, whitish, vinaceous-purple adjacent the cuticle and gills, flesh thin at the margin, moderately thick at the disc; odor, indistinct to faintly farinaceous; taste, bitter.

Lamellae
Gills notched to uncinate, close, moderately broad, at first cream-buff with a pinkish tinge, becoming yellow ochraceous-buff, finally bright orange-brown from maturing spores.

Stipe
Stipe 2-8 cm long, 0.5-1.5 cm thick, more or less equal to slightly enlarged at the base, hollow to stuffed at maturity; surface appressed fibrillose-striate, colored like the cap with intervening pallid streaks, veil evanescent, fibrillose, cream-buff, leaving a fibrillose annular zone near the apex or fragments on the young cap; buff-colored mycelium at the base.

Spores
Spores 6-8 x 3.5-5 ?m, elliptical, roughened, dextrinoid; spore print bright orange-brown.

Habitat
Gregarious to clustered in wood chips, and downed wood of both deciduous and conifers; fruiting from late fall to mid-winter.

Edibility
Mildly hallucinogenic according to Stamets.

Comments
This handsome wood rotter has a vinaceous-purple to vinaceous-brown, squamulose cap, often with scattered dull-green spots. Though Smith & Hesler in their monograph of Gymnopilus did not mention the latter feature in their description, Stamets has observed that the green color can develop under low temperature. We originally believed our collections to be Gymnopilus aeruginosus because of the green stains, but have concluded that overall they are a bettter match for G. luteofolius, especially the the veil, cap color, and cap flesh characters. In Gymnopilus luteofolius the veil is fibrillose-membranous and the cap flesh whitish to vinaceous-purple while in G. aeruginosus the veil is merely fibrillose and the cap flesh tends to be tinged green. A look-alike species for Gymnopilus luteofolius is Tricholomopsis rutilans. It is similarly colored, also grows on wood, but can be distinguished by a white spore print and the lack of a veil.

The veil is the key to know wich kind of gym you found, i believe they are luteofolius .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: MAIA]
    #1521226 - 05/05/03 04:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

This would be the first time that this gym has been reported from Australia and iud have to say that it resembles it well. noted any greeen staining there Wombie?

--------------------

Anonymous

#1521392 - 05/05/03 08:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #1521599 - 05/05/03 10:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks MAIA your description of luteofolius has cemented that I have found G aeruginosus(your desciption of veil was the kicker!) Now to see if it will respond to wood culture the same way as a cyan does.WR :wink:

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Pics, cubies, extreme look-a-likes and big orange things... [Re: ]
    #1521607 - 05/05/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, you're right about this one. I was not sure if i would identify this as G. aeruginosus or G. luteofolius. Thanks for bringing up the issue about G. luteofolius rarity, didn't know about that one.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1523140 - 05/05/03 08:28 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

More great pics from the country as always, wombat  :grin:

I posted these I found today on ferret's thread before I noticed this topic would be more fitting  :wink:

possible subs lookalikes...print being taken now

I was told about this article from a local paper on a new species

Formally classified as endangered, the Hygrocybe lanecovensis has only been found, to date, in LCBP

another article

"'Fantastic Fungi? Talk

?Fantastic Fungi? is the title of an illustrated talk to be presented next Tuesday (tonight) by Dr Ray and Elma Kearney at Sydney St George?s Guild meeting at historic ?Addington? 813 Victoria Road Ryde at 8pm. Hygrocybe lanecovensis, pictured above, is a fungi discovered and named by the Kearneys at Lane Cove Bushland Park. Interested persons are invited to attend. Admission is free but booking for seating and catering required. Inquiries and bookings to Sydney Guildmaster Rusty Russell on 9878 2289 or Chancellor Howard Blair 9798 4060."

If I could get there, it would be interesting....

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Edited by ruskifile (05/05/03 09:31 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates