Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcesyn
Trust My Words
Male User Gallery

How To Spawn Cakes To A Bulk Substrate! * 18
    #14995972 - 08/29/11 11:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome to the Bulking Cakes!
(more pictures coming soon)
(MORE SUBSTRATE RECIPES COMING SOON!)
(:alert:under construction:alert:)

This is a bulk tray with 2 cakes:

This is the non bulk old fashion style :wink: (just fruiting off the cakes)

Before you bother doing this, I would recommend you have at least succeeded with the PF Tek. I call this "The 2nd step" for people wanting to work with grain spawn bulking and casing.

Here is what you will need:
  • 2 colonized BRF jars (same strain!)
  • Coco Coir (used as a bedding for reptiles, amphibians and tarantulas) I bought mine from my local pet supply store.
  • Vermiculite (My local hardware store actually carries a few bags at a time)
  • Metal tin cooking tray (I use at least a 10inch square tin)
  • Necessary sterilizing gear. (Pressure cooker -not a necessity, rubbing alcohol and so on)

So in this tek I will explain how to do everything step by step!

• So 1st off, you need to have your bulk mix! Now, most of this is eying out measurements. It isn't difficult, just stay cool!
    THIS THREAD shows more of a pictorial of how I prep my bulk substrate.
    • I bought a package of coir that had 3 bricks in it. You really only need 1/4 a brick for couple trays or so. Take that and add some water in a pot or bucket. Let it absorb the water, add little water at a time so you don't over do it. You can mix with your hands to get it good!
    • Now you want to move some coir into a bowl. As you do this, bring each fist full to field capacity by squeezing the coir. You will want at least a pint of the coir for 2 half pint cakes.
    • Having the moist expanded coir in a bowl, add about the same amount of vermiculite as coir for a even ratio for the bulk substrate. Mix well!
    • Now we must sterilize by pasteurizing the mix! I used an clean pillow case for this part. Put the mix into the pillow case, and tie case so no substrate will escape.
    • Use the pot you used to hydrate the coir (or a bucket) and put the case in it. Fill the pot or bucket with water at 170 degrees and cover for at least a few hours. Add more hot water to keep the temp up as time goes on.
    • Pull the case out and let the excess water drip out and cool down. For this part I hung the case over a bath tub for over an hour.
    • Finally empty the case into a bowl and cover for the next step!
    The 50/50 substrate is beginner friendly but since coir has most of the nutrients, using 75/25 (coir/verm) is what I recommend once you are familiar and comfortable with proper procedure.

Now that we have our mix, take your tray(s) and sterilize them. I put them in my PC the night before just to be safe. Rub the inside with rubbing alcohol and keep upside down to dry before using them. That being done, lets get to the fun part!

• Now we play with some spawn and mix it up!
    • Grab a sandwich bag or a freezer bag(bigger) and put a cake or two in it and seal it up. Use your fingers to pinch cakes from outside the bag. Break it up until your spawn is about penny size.
    • Take your sterilized tray and add some bulk substrate (about 2 pints of the mix. Keep it double the cake amount). Squeeze the substrate to field capacity. If no water drips, add some water to the bowl of substrate and mix that. BE SURE TO BRING EACH FIST FULL TO FIELD CAPACITY!
    • Add your cake spawn and mix it with a sterile spoon.
    • Cover with some tinfoil and poke at least half a dozen holes for gas exchange and your done!

• Fruiting starts when the mix is completely taken over by mycilium.

For the following pictures I put a thin layer of substrate on top of the mix for a contam barrier. But this is not needed and may result to slower bulk colonization.
    After this step you will have to wait for the spawn to take over the substrate. Me being a nosy person, peeked at my tray a couple days later.

And here is a fully colonized tray. It may not seem so, but as I said, I had another layer of substrate on there. Wait about a week and throw the bastard into the FC!

And this is my 2nd tray. I started this one the day after the 1st one. Pinning has started about 5 days prior.

When I was starting this tek out, I asked people how my tray looked in the 2nd pic, most people told me either it was contaminated or not fully colonized. But the fact is, both were incorrect. Give your cakes a sniff fresh out of the jar to understand what good mycilum smells like. I did a sniff test often and I smelled nothing unfamiliar in the tray.

As long as it looks good, give it time. I was a week away from throwing them out before the 1st tray had its 1st pin. But both worked, and I am satisfied.

• Edited by Icesyn (04/13/15 07:32 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
    Invisiblea social revolt
    retired cultivator

Loc: Brooklyn, NYC Flag
    Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: Icesyn]
        #15127187 - 09/24/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Looks good, thanks for the tek! :grin:

btw what was the wet weight of your tray at the very top? I think I want to try your tek with B+, but I feel like I should use more sub/bigger tray cause they are fat little dudes

although I might try multiplying yours by 2 or 3, and use 4 to 6 cakes in a bigger tray :tongue2:

--------------------
    :legoman:

Invisibledtowntoker
    gimme a spliff
    Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: a social revolt]
        #15127213 - 09/24/11 11:46 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Great fucking pinset dude, final yeild?

--------------------

OfflineTaoTeShroom
    Stranger
     User Gallery
    Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: Icesyn] * 1
        #15127268 - 09/24/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Nice tek, I just did a similiar type of cake to bulk.

I think Damions Coir Tek is a much easier pasteurization method, it also gives specifics on water to coir (ie: 1 brick coir, 2 quarts verm to 1 gallon boiling water), which makes it much easier to hit field capacity without eyeballing. I used this tek and it yielded near perfect results.

Also I ended up grinding my cakes up even more (in a food processor) to ensure the most points of colonization, here is my grow log if you want to follow, I will keep it updated with my colonization results. My thinking is that the main advantage of spawning grains is the ample colonization points of smaller broken up grains vs using larger chunks of cakes.

Nice tek though, I think more folks should try spawning with cakes, this was my first grow after tons of research and honestly its been near fullproof so far. And from a yield perspective being able to multiply your mycelium by 5 sounds pretty good. :smile:

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: a social revolt] * 1
        #15127918 - 09/24/11 02:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

a social revolt said:
    Looks good, thanks for the tek! :grin:

btw what was the wet weight of your tray at the very top? I think I want to try your tek with B+, but I feel like I should use more sub/bigger tray cause they are fat little dudes

although I might try multiplying yours by 2 or 3, and use 4 to 6 cakes in a bigger tray :tongue2:

The picture shows 131.1 grams fresh. But I took 2 big mature ones the night before.

It's a pretty good tek! Thanks.

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: TaoTeShroom]
        #15127981 - 09/24/11 02:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeShroom said:

I think Damions Coir Tek is a much easier pasteurization method, it also gives specifics on water to coir (ie: 1 brick coir, 2 quarts verm to 1 gallon boiling water), which makes it much easier to hit field capacity without eyeballing. I used this tek and it yielded near perfect results.

Also I ended up grinding my cakes up even more (in a food processor) to ensure the most points of colonization, here is my grow log if you want to follow, I will keep it updated with my colonization results. My thinking is that the main advantage of spawning grains is the ample colonization points of smaller broken up grains vs using larger chunks of cakes.

Nice tek though, I think more folks should try spawning with cakes, this was my first grow after tons of research and honestly its been near fullproof so far. And from a yield perspective being able to multiply your mycelium by 5 sounds pretty good. :smile:

1 brick of coir is WAY to much. That would be enough for ~50 trays. My way is a simple way. Plus it hasn't failed me yet. When you get used to eying things out, never seem to be disappointed. Plus, you don't have more than you bargained for. 1 brick near fills a bucket.

I did some PE recently. Picked half a dozen and still have some more. The only thing is, they only get to about 4 inches tall before they are ready. Tiny penis is a bad rep, but THIS TEK WORKS GOOD lol

You can see a bunch of new pins around it. Those wont be aborts :wink:

I love the bruising!

Invisibleprismism
     User Gallery

#15128051 - 09/24/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Love this! Can't remember ever seeing a well written out tek for spawning pf cakes. Well done.

--------------------
    ephemeral anomalous

Offlinewalfredo
    Stranger
    Male

Loc: omaha,ne
        #15128080 - 09/24/11 03:20 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Wow thats awesome!!! I just happen to have 2 cakes i need to birth today and i think i will try this. Thanks alot.

InvisibleFooMan
     User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    Loc: Earth Flag
    Trusted Cultivator
        #15128084 - 09/24/11 03:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You should retitle this thread to "Spawning Your PF Cakes to Coir". I was expecting to see some giant pf cakes :lol:

Same thing with horse manure HERE

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: prismism]
        #15128093 - 09/24/11 03:23 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
    Love this! Can't remember ever seeing a well written out tek for spawning pf cakes. Well done.

Then rate me well :wink:

And thanks! This tek is perfect for beginners who want to play with the cakes. Well worth it too!

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: FooMan]
        #15128105 - 09/24/11 03:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

FooMan said:
    You should retitle this thread to "Spawning Your PF Cakes to Coir". I was expecting to see some giant pf cakes :lol:

Same thing with horse manure HERE

Dig the informative title. But love the short classy ones more. :dancer:

Offlinek00laid
    NEMO
     User Gallery

#15128123 - 09/24/11 03:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

harder to search for when typing

"spawning pf cakes to coir"

--------------------
    AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Invisibleprismism
     User Gallery

#15128124 - 09/24/11 03:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You might want to consider it though. The title is a bit misleading. Also, it would make it easier for people to find this tek when using the search engine. Most people would be searching for "spawn cakes to bulk".

--------------------
    ephemeral anomalous

Invisibleprismism
     User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: k00laid]
        #15128130 - 09/24/11 03:30 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

k00laid said:
    harder to search for when typing

"spawning pf cakes to coir"

We posted almost the same thing literally within one second of one another. Thas jus crazy.

--------------------
    ephemeral anomalous

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

#15128136 - 09/24/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

FINE! I'll be informative.

Offlinek00laid
    NEMO
     User Gallery

#15128140 - 09/24/11 03:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

bahaha

great minds think alike

--------------------
    AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

Re: Bulking Cakes! [Re: k00laid]
        #15128151 - 09/24/11 03:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

So now thinking about it. This thread will be updated with other substrates for the curious and experimental mind. Such as, straw, dung and whatever cool ass substrate I can find. Thanks for the help guys!

:winner:

Edited by Icesyn (09/24/11 06:08 PM)

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

#15261815 - 10/22/11 01:33 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Just a note to add, no views since I changed the name. Thanks guys lol. IDGAF

Edited by Icesyn (04/13/15 07:35 AM)

Invisibledtowntoker
    gimme a spliff
        #15261832 - 10/22/11 01:38 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icesyn said:
    Quote:

TaoTeShroom said:

1 brick of coir is WAY to much. That would be enough for ~50 trays. My way is a simple way. Plus it hasn't failed me yet. When you get used to eying things out, never seem to be disappointed. Plus, you don't have more than you bargained for. 1 brick near fills a bucket.

I did some PE recently. Picked half a dozen and still have some more. The only thing is, they only get to about 4 inches tall before they are ready. Tiny penis is a bad rep, but THIS TEK WORKS GOOD lol

You can see a bunch of new pins around it. Those wont be aborts :wink:

I love the bruising!

I don't know what kind of bucket or trays,  or bricks of coir you're using if one Brick fills your bucket and can make 50 trays.

--------------------

OfflineIcesyn
    Trust My Words
    Male User Gallery

#15261900 - 10/22/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

1 brick fills my 5 gallon pot about 1/3 or so. They are trays about 10X10. You would know the answers to your sarcasm if you read some shit.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags