Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinekangoo
ONEVIBE

Live for the moment!?!
    #1510740 - 05/01/03 10:49 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I hear so many people say that they are "living for the moment", and use different words of wisdom meaning something like that, as their personal "slogan".
But alot of those people, I suspect, have no clue what they are talking about!
Opinions? What does it really mean? To live for the moment or to be living for the
moment!?!? :smirk:

PLUR  :laugh:

--------------------
Divine moments of truth occurs when watching
lucy in the sky with diamonds!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: kangoo]
    #1510920 - 05/01/03 11:49 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well anyone trying to define that is probably not living for the moment at that moment.

i'd say it is just to see things how they are... which is a monstrous feat in our way of life.

it is to let your senses peacefully take in your environment instead of grabbing every little shred of stimulation and shaking it down for all its worth.

something like that.

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
    #1510938 - 05/01/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well I suppose one explanation is that you should not dwell on past events because they cannot be changed.

My view is that at every moment there split off an infinite amount of possible actions we could be taking. I picture in my mind every possible movement I could be making, every change of course. Yet I am sitting here at work.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: LoverofEarth]
    #1510957 - 05/01/03 11:59 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"I picture in my mind every possible movement I could be making, every change of course."
That sounds impossible.

"Well I suppose one explanation is that you should not dwell on past events because they cannot be changed."
Well yeah don't "dwell" on the past, but don't just toss it behind you either - it should be filed away for reference, but certainly don't just ignore all these recordings your brain has already made, because can be very useful for "The Now."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1511040 - 05/01/03 12:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wasn't living "in the moment" an originally Epicurean concept?(eat drink and be merry for tommorrow we die etc). Wouldn't it be MUCH better to live IN the moment(the NOW) today, and let tommorrow(if it even arrives) take care of itself? :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineLoverofEarth
spirit on ajourney

Loc: the in-between
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: Strumpling]
    #1511122 - 05/01/03 01:05 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't actually see myself doing a million different things. Its more like I imagine an orb around myself growing larger and larger into infinity. I feel my self moving in a million different directions at once, spreading out and out and out. It's like a feeling moreso than mental pictures, sorry for the mis-wording.

Some people do live in the past, spending the present to re-live past events is what I was referring to. I just mentioned it because I do it alot. I really shouldn't have said it was a definition of "the now", I really have no fucking clue how to define "it" or if it can truly be put into words.

Offlinecleaner
Stranger

#1511133 - 05/01/03 01:08 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

"The souls escaping, through this hole that its gaping
This world is mine for the taking
Make me king, as we move toward a, new world order"

i wonder what thats all about ...

:wink:

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1511143 - 05/01/03 01:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I understand.... I too spend too much time processing past recordings, and not enough time making some new ones :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineYou_are_God
^So are We^
Loc: The Dream Game...
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: Strumpling]
    #1511192 - 05/01/03 01:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Lover of earth...I know exactly what you are saying basically that there are infinite possibilities just built around you not to mention the other 6+ billion humans on earth and what about those bright specks in the sky etc etc etc...onto infinity???? Could it be that time is an illusion and there is only the >>>>NOW<<<<?????
Just my miniscule 2 cents
Peace

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: You_are_God]
    #1511439 - 05/01/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

to make decisions that almost seem to go with the wind.
so out of bounds yet so familiar

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1512222 - 05/01/03 07:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well you probably cant always live for the moment, and some people rarely live for the moment.  I like to believe that successful people live for the moment more than others.  The people who try day after day, even through failure and success, to acheive their dreams.

There comes a point, you gotta say: "Im sick of worrying about the future, I'm sick of worrying about the consequences of what I do or don't do, so I'm just gonna do this and see what happens". 

Thats my philosophy anyways, for example I quit my job once and was broke but I decided I wasnt going to live for the paycheck, I was going to try to accomplish something with my life.  Well I have accomplished much, not financially but productively, AND I keep trying.  I dont regret it but you know life would have been easier if I took the steady paycheck, but I woulda been thinking forever: "What IF I had lived for the moment".  You gotta take chances or you'll never get lucky.  Those who wait get bored, those who act get results. :grin:

my two cents. 

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: pattern]
    #1512295 - 05/01/03 08:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I like to believe that successful people live for the moment more than others.

Actually, it's usually the opposite. People that plan ahead and have long range goals tend to be more successful. The live for the moment people usually eat their seed corn. It is interesting to note the speech patterns of the perpetually poor versus the successful. Notice that the poor often speak in the present tense even when it isn't warranted. Take a look at these examples which refer to future events, "I be a millionaire if my lotto numbers be picked." instead of "I will become a millionaire before I retire if I invest wisely and don't squander my earnings."

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblebuttonion
Calmly Watching

Loc: Kansas
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: Evolving]
    #1512378 - 05/01/03 08:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting observation

--------------------
Concepts which have been proved to be useful in ordering things easily acquire such an authority over us that we forget their human origins and accept them as invariable.- Albert Einstein

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1512391 - 05/01/03 08:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Living for the moment means just that...living for the moment. This does not mean you don't plan ahead for the future, but rather, you focus on creating that future through the present. The NOW is all you have, and that is the only place to make changes.

OfflineYou_are_God
^So are We^
Loc: The Dream Game...
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: Shroomism]
    #1512414 - 05/01/03 08:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

what is success? success as measured by society? That my friend is shallow beyond understanding. Learning to live in the moment better is a great success in itself as is learning period.

InvisibleZwieback0
Baby Bread
 User Gallery

#1512417 - 05/01/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Carpe Diem

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1512419 - 05/01/03 08:44 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I said nothing of success, living in the moment is the way to true happiness.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#1512489 - 05/01/03 09:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I dont mean success as in being a millionaire. You silly American.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Live for the moment!?! [Re: pattern]
    #1513235 - 05/02/03 12:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wanting a secure future without financial worries, wanting to take care of your family, to give your children a more financially secure foundation than you had, to be able to travel, to retire comfortably, to not be in a position to have to rely on others for sustenance, to be able to afford to send your children to good universities, to be able to have enough money to help out others whom you choose to help... these are hardly silly.

Other forms of success also rely on foresight, of thinking about the future, of seeing in your mind the consequences of your actions, of the moral and physical implications of your decisions. I merely took one example to make a point. Silly Canadian, you should learn to look beyond the obvious and see the interrelatedness of life, lessons in one area can often be applied to others.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

#1513289 - 05/02/03 12:22 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Actually, it's usually the opposite.

Are we arguing about percentages here? You can use "living in the future" as means to success. I suppose there are certain types of success that a person would usually acheive via their mode of living. The average working man versus the average leader.

I'm talking about the striking success of rock stars and other famous people, whose primary goal is not finance but money still flows to them, and they do not have to plan for the future. They just have to not spend it all in the now, which is living in the moment.

I doubt many of these successes were planning their actions years ahead, but just took life by the horns and ran with it, if you take my meaning. Yeah but I gotta be realistic too, not everyone can live that life. Success is, in my opinion, all weighed on the goals of the individual.

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology