Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Can you close your eyes and think of nothing??
    #1509016 - 04/30/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I wish I could. When I want to sleep I can't because my mind is always racing in directions I shouldn't even care about. I wish my mind would shut off sometimes.

Im plagued with past memories of bad things and wish I could let them go but they always haunt me.

Just wondering if anyone else suffers from this and how they deal with it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: TackleBerry]
    #1509019 - 04/30/03 08:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Try repeating one word in your mind, over and over and just focus on that.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1509039 - 04/30/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'm like that. My mind races constantly. It never stops unless I pass out or fall asleep (no easy matter).

I don't have problems with bad memories, though. Not unless I stop doing stuff for too long. Learning is the best cure I've found.

Learn everything. Why not? You've got the time!

Just start reading. Play with stuff. Take shit apart and try to get it back together. Learn whatever you can as fast as you can.

It is the only thing I've found to keep me sane  :wink: 

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: Sheepish]
    #1509053 - 04/30/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Sheepish! I will try that.

InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: trendal]
    #1509062 - 04/30/03 08:27 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Trendal, Im glad Im not alone. My mind races and I wish I could find the reason. I get little or no sleep and the bags under my eyes suggest Im a junkie which Im not. I just wish things made sense. Maybe Im just slow.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#1509073 - 04/30/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

It's certainly not just you. Everyone's so stressed/busy in their lives, so when the day ends and they go down to sleep, their mind doesn't. I envy the people that can fall asleep as soon as they hit the pillow and wake up refreshed for work. It usually takes me 30 mins to an hour to start to drift off, but sometimes I can spend up to 2 or 3 hours lying there trying to fall asleep.
Trendal has the right idea :wink: Sometimes if I couldn't sleep, I'd start reading more of Lord of the Rings. Finally finished it :smile: 

InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: Sheepish]
    #1509127 - 04/30/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Sheepish, you by far are the nicest person I've met on this board. You've helped me and didn't even care about some of the inane posts of mine. We share a lot in common and Im glad you took me under your wing and helped me. Sheepish=supernicekickassdude

As far as sleeping, it takes me dead serious 3 maybe 4 hours to get there. I drink now before I sleep. It helps and I sleep right away. Granted drinking til passout isn't good for the body but it seems the only release I have from this mind prison.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#1509224 - 04/30/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Another thing I have found that helps is meditation. It takes a LOT of practice when you have a mind that races like this...but it's well worth the effort!  :smile:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

OfflineAbFab
me

Loc: Here
    #1509283 - 04/30/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, i used to have a lot of problems sleeping because my mind would always be racing. what i would have to do usually was read or watch TV until i would just pass out from being so tired. i still have to do that sometimes, but i have gotten a little better.

i agree with trendal, meditation definitely helps. but i wasn't able to just start meditating right off the bat, cuz my mind would wander too much. i started out by imagining a place in my head and everytime that i sat or laid down to meditate i would go back to that same place and build on it a little more in my mind. i guess that you could call it a happy place, but its more calm and comfortable than happy. it was good cuz it gave me something to focus on and i put all my energy and imagination into being able to see this amazing place that i had created that all the other thoughts couldn't penetrate into my mind while i was there. once i learned to focus and release everything that was on my mind, i could meditate without having to go to my place and i could just focus on nothing or whatever i wanted. its all about training your mind and focusing.

--------------------
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when your uncool.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: AbFab]
    #1509841 - 05/01/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

that's kinda crazy, because that's exactly the same way i learned to meditate....

--------------------

OfflineAbFab
me

Loc: Here
    #1509875 - 05/01/03 12:17 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

no joke? thats awesome. just goes to show that that is the right way to do it.

--------------------
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when your uncool.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#1510051 - 05/01/03 12:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Try going for a run an hour or so before bed. Should wear you out enough to the point where you can sleep.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1510283 - 05/01/03 02:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i'd recommend talking about the memories with someone as well - a friend or whoever. Good for externalising them and desensitising to them. Writing about them would also serve the same purpose..

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineLyte it Up 420
It's 4:19...Gota minute?

Loc: New york
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: enotake2]
    #1510681 - 05/01/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i have ocd so this is a big problem with me, what i find works the best is the radio, find a good station and just concentrate on the songs, works better if u know the words cuz instead of contantly wandering thoughs ur concentrating on the song playing and eventually ull fall asleep, a t least i do...it still takes some time tho lol

--------------------
"Are you suicidal?"
"Only in the morning."
---------------------------------------
"I only lied about being a thief."

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1511071 - 05/01/03 10:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I can think of "the absense of something," but, but that in itself, is something isn't it?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleTackleBerry
Im working forthem.
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: Strumpling]
    #1512813 - 05/01/03 08:10 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I can think of "the absense of something," but, but that in itself, is something isn't it? 

Don't know, I didnt post this to answer other peoples questions.  I posted it to see if anyone had answers to mine.  Thanks though..... :smirk:

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #1513600 - 05/01/03 11:50 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

>>I wish my mind would shut off sometimes.

It can through meditation.  Thoughts are simply reactions/illusions that arise in the mind.  Meditation helps you calm the mind and allow the true nature of mind to overcome the delusions of emotion and reaction.  I've been meditating seriously for just over 3 years now (on and off since 1991) and I have to tell you...no matter which meditational tradition you chose to practice...they are all effective and meditation has changed my life in tremendously positive ways.

The clutter of non-stop thoughts can be calmed to the point of pure experience; a mind without delusion where ego and self-pity no longer cast false realities across our perceptions.  The more you practice your meditations, the deeper and deeper into calm abiding you will go.  It's a proven method and one accessible to everyone...you just need to make the effort and begin a sitting practice on your own and stick to it.  It does take time to start seeing results (took me two years to start experiencing single-point states of mind and samadhi) but once you start seeing the results, you'll be amazed at the nature of mind and consciousness.  If you think psychedelics are powerful, try opening up to the very nature of your mind; it'll blow any trip to pieces.  :smile:

Love & Light,

Boppity

PS - I highly recommend this book to people new to meditation:  How To Meditate 

Edited by Boppity604 (05/01/03 11:51 PM)

Anonymous #1

Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: Boppity604]
    #1513768 - 05/02/03 01:17 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

takes me at least 30min too fall asleep as well....no matter how long I've been up and how tired I am....sometimes up too 3 hours...but usually within 1 hour...I've learned too deal with it...I don't let it get to me...I just think about growing shrooms and other shit I'm into till I drift off eventually...my mind definitely races a lot too...but like I said I guess I've just learned too accept it

Anonymous #1

Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: ]
    #1513777 - 05/02/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

btw I sometimes dwell on past memories as well....or if I think about an uncomfortable situation while in bed(like being on a building or something cause I'm afraid of heights) I'll tense up...but I just tell myself too stop thinking about it...and just don't think about it again...prolly not that simple for most but thats the best I can describe it

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
Re: Can you close your eyes and think of nothing?? [Re: ]
    #1520391 - 05/04/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hrmm if i am sitting in a comfy chair i have to be careful not to doze off.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom