Home | Community | Message Board

Mycotrop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Loc: U.S. Flag
Will i have to restart?
    #15092969 - 09/17/11 08:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

To start off, if you are going to tell me to buy a pc than please do not reply because i am content with steam sterilization.

So i was able to successfully steam sterilize some popcorn over the course of three days and i just picked up a couple more jars today and some rtv high temp silicone. I've got a sterile jar of popcorn waiting to be shot up but i only used polyfill in the lid because it was brought to my attention that you can just inoculate through polyfill but im not really comfortable doing that.

Since i got the silicone today i wanted to go ahead and make a self healing port on another lid so i dont have to worry about shooting through the polyfill.
Now my question is, if i go ahead and do this and transfer the popcorn to the new jar will i have to restart my 3 day steaming session?
I know i will have to resterilize it but idk for how long.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mars
Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: Fungus_monk]
    #15093025 - 09/17/11 08:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I might try to just inoculate using an alcohol soaked sponge on the needle (from a tek somewhere here) and throw a band-aid on it. Not sure what condition the corn may end up in going through the steam process again.

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: Hesy-Ra]
    #15093039 - 09/17/11 09:01 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hesy-Ra said:
I might try to just inoculate using an alcohol soaked sponge on the needle (from a tek somewhere here) and throw a band-aid on it. Not sure what condition the corn may end up in going through the steam process again.

No offense but i dont really see how that applies to me. Im not worried about inoculation.

--------------------
My Trade List

I post fictional information that i have developed through years of extreme delirium and from suffering strange delusions that i partake in illegal activites. The shroomery.org is merely my outlet for these delusions.

InvisibleHesy-Ra
Marvin The Martian

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Mars
    #15093064 - 09/17/11 09:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fungus_monk said:
I've got a sterile jar of popcorn waiting to be shot up but i only used polyfill in the lid because it was brought to my attention that you can just inoculate through polyfill but im not really comfortable doing that.

Am i missing something here?

--------------------
"We must capture a live earthling, K-9, and take him back with us to Mars. Isn't that a nice assignment? Hm?"

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: Hesy-Ra]
    #15093081 - 09/17/11 09:10 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

My apologies but i dont see what you are trying to get at.
I dont want to inoculate through the polyfill, i will also not be using an alcohol soaked sponge because alcohol sanitizes, not sterilizes.
My question was if i put the popcorn into another jar will i have to start the sterilization process all over or not. I dont think i would because all of the endospores in the grain have already been killed from the previous sterilization, i plan on re sterilizing anyway because i know i will have to for some period of time regardless. I just dont want to have to do it for three days ago unless it is necessary.

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Loc: HyperSpace
    #15093146 - 09/17/11 09:27 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

you could sterilize your new lid and put it on the jar.  i do that all the time with my lcs so i can shake them.

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

Edited by SexySmurff (09/17/11 09:37 PM)

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: SexySmurff]
    #15093193 - 09/17/11 09:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Cool thanks man

--------------------
My Trade List

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

#15093204 - 09/17/11 09:38 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SexySmurff said:
you could sterilize your new lid and put it on the jar.  i do that all the time with my lcs so i can shake them.

:whathesaid: Thats seems the best option if you don't want to resterilize your grains. Do it in a glovebox

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#15094318 - 09/18/11 03:21 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but what makes you so sure that your popcorn is sterile in the first place? I love using popcorn as spawn, but I would think it would be the hardest grain to sterilize without a pressure cooker.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: prismism]
    #15094325 - 09/18/11 03:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i had a question about 3 days sterilization too.  methinks if he's using popcorn he must be steaming for quite awhile.

--------------------
Exalted is He from what they utter. Exalted is He from what they imagine. Exalted is He that exists without a place. Exalted is He that was there forever without a time or a beginning. Exalted is He that will be there forever without a time or an end. Exalted is He that will forever be praised. That is your God.

Offlinesinewave
Habitual learner

#15094559 - 09/18/11 06:06 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Id say that any time your sub is exposed to the open air for any reason (before its 100% colonized that is), your probably going to need to  re-sterilize.

--------------------
3 x 51 = 153    So three fiftyones is onefiftythree.
All the little curiosities, they make life most intresting.

:goodmorning:

OfflineSexySmurff
HyperQube
Male User Gallery

Re: Will i have to restart? [Re: sinewave]
    #15094564 - 09/18/11 06:09 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

im sure he's gonna be doing it inside a glovebox. 

if i take your advice g2g would be impossible.

--------------------

InvisibleFungus_monk
Here or there...
Male

#15094820 - 09/18/11 09:52 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I sterilized for a total of twelve hours over the course of three days. And i had injected another jar that was done with this leftover jar with some lc and it is looking good.

--------------------
My Trade List

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation