Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Loc: A Ripple in Time
Subj chngd: 1st cakes. Pics, Oct, 1st. -Concerned about first flush.. !!! [Re: The Influence]
    #15086441 - 09/16/11 09:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hey there fellow shroomers!! Well as of tomorrow I have 3 BHT's that have colonized beautifully. Today is their 16th day and they are now fully connected in the jar all over and so it's time for the real fun... Well, I wanted to post a few pics with this, in hopes that this may help newcomers like myself and so maybe I can get some clarification. I recovered the BHT that had the black soot looking shit in it, for lack of better words.. And so I cleaned just the jar and watched it, hoping to God it'd just be soot. Well, the next day it spread and my jar of that one now looks like the substrate is sand & pepper... It was just in that one small area on the pic, and then spread all the way to the bottom. I have a question about that also, I have 2 jars with the black mold, I know jars can be cheap, but if at all possible.. Would it be safe if I drove the 2 jars to a dumpster down the road, open them inside the dumpster and dump, then bleach & alcohol them, then bring them back & boil them? Will they be okay for re-use? Also, since I only had 3 BHT jars that made it... And one of them is looking tinged with blueish green type shit now at the very end, so now I am probably down to 2 BHT's... My question about that is, I don't want to be a cheap skate at all but for 2 cakes, I don't see the need in a huge terrarium. I have a 16 QT. / 15 L Sterilite plastic container that measures; 16 3/4" X 11 7/8" x 7" & I'm thinking this should be more than sufficient to use a small terrarium and drill holes in it and fruit them in this? Or is this something that would be ill-advised? I have only 1 oak left slowly colonizing, and so I'm not gonna have an abundance of cakes anytime soon that would require a huge terrarium.. If this plastic container would be ok, can someone please suggest how much perlite I should put in the fruiting chamber? From my reading, perlite seems to keep the humidity going for proper fruiting/growing conditions, so it's seems like 2 1/2 - 3 inches might be a little excessive for a container that small.. Well, ya'll were DEFINITELY most right about trial & error, I am sterilizing my work area and am about to get as many jars colonizing as I can until this day & nights done.... Any feedback right now would be very great & appreciated... Thanks everyone so far helpin' out!

Edited by v33g0237 (10/01/11 05:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: How do you think the jars are lookin' fellow shroomers!? Question 9/16/11 [Re: v33g0237]
    #15086811 - 09/16/11 10:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I am looking at this spot on this BHT and it appears to be a blueish-green tinge, but it is very hard to see because it is right there by the lip and the lip is causing reflectivity to where I cannot tell exactly what it is.. I am going to take a picture and post it soon.. In the mean time, I know jars are cheap, but is it safe to dump them in an area outside in a public trash if they've been contaminated with Trich or Black Mold? The main question is, are they safe to empty in an outside area, bleach, alcohol & boil them for re-use? Or is this just taking too much risk with the contamination's?

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

Great post about green mold by RR

Environmental Friendly Cracker Dry Tek by Rail_Gun

All posts by the author are fictitious & intended for educational purposes only, and could very well solely be thoughts from the authors mind.

Edited by v33g0237 (09/16/11 11:01 AM)

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: Question on a small terrarium for 2 BHT's [Re: v33g0237]
    #15086879 - 09/16/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Also with it just being TWO cakes at the moment.. Can someone pretty please with sugar on top give me some feedback on this? I have a:

16 QT. / 15 L Sterilite
16 3/4" X 11 7/8" x 7"

Plastic container which I'm wondering will it suffice for these 2 cakes and if so, how much perlite would you recommend I put in? Or if this is NOT a good idea, can someone please let me know so I do not ruin my first cakes here.. I do read and cross-check everything and like to be resourceful as possible before posting a question, but I'm in a position where I need to figure out if this plastic container is sufficient or if I need to just go buy a big ass one and fill it with 2 to 3 inches of perlite? Anyone please?

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

All posts by the author are fictitious & intended for educational purposes only, and could very well solely be thoughts from the authors mind.

Invisibleskuzzy1232
:))
Male User Gallery

#15086915 - 09/16/11 11:21 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah you can empty it outside, i would throw away but it seems you really want to save the jars. Make sure you are down wind the endospores will get on your shirt.

tubs = should be fine.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8468463
Have any questions comments PM me ill try to help out the only stupid question is the one you dont ask .

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: Question on a small terrarium for 2 BHT's [Re: skuzzy1232]
    #15087320 - 09/16/11 12:55 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks man!!! Well, the area I'm in, believe it or not, it's hard 2 find these kerr wide mouths in specific, but! Yer right, i'd rather trash it than take a risk of the wind blowing a few on my shirt & then I go to check my jars & wonder why so much contam is coming.. Thx dude! I thought that tub should be just fine, because it is the same exact Tek as if I were using 5 full healthy ones, but this being my first, I didn't get so lucky & ended up with 2! But they're damn good looking and all and I'm in the middle of sterilizing like crazy right now, waiting on my jars to cool down to finish off my BHT & Oak solution :grin:

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

#15091516 - 09/17/11 11:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

A question for everyone here, to those who do use the BRF Tek; Once your mycelium has covered the entire jar, how long do some of you generally wait? Is there any advantage to this by letting them sit a little longer after the mycelium is all connected?

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineWing
The Eye Tyrant
Male User Gallery

#15091545 - 09/17/11 11:24 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yea let them colonize for at least a week. Its gotta do it anyway to fruit and your best off to leave them in the jar for that time. RR says like 3-4 weeks to colonize and its supposed to fruit better. Maybe it has something to do with the humidity created between the cake and jar :shrug:

--------------------
My Old Grow Logs

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

#15091594 - 09/17/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Thx for the reply.. Yea my jars are sweating like crazy!, so you'd suggest around a week now that they're all connected? I'm really glad I read this forum, otherwise I probably just would've screwed my first cakes up. I wasn't sure, I've heard of some that open them 24 hours after they've connected, but I can definitely see how the humidity in the jar could cause better fruiting..

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

#15091609 - 09/17/11 11:51 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

But still, to those reading, just for an all out average time from the fellow shroomers here, I'd be interesting in hearing how long each of you using cakes wait before you take them out?

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #15092663 - 09/17/11 05:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I got cakes consolidating for a week right now :thumbup: It is normal to see condensation buildup in the jar. To my knowledge it will not hurt your cakes to birth them sooner, but they will not fruit any faster.

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: Question on a small terrarium for 2 BHT's [Re: The Influence]
    #15124126 - 09/23/11 06:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

This is my 1st cake that was condensed 7 days, I opened the jar slowly this morning, only to my dismay to see this:

I've read green mold of any type causes no harm to humans whatsoever, but there are so many different opinions on this, it's a lil' hard to figure out on my own, of course this isn't going to be the last cake, as I have a few condensing now. But now that I've opened it my work area and the Trich is on top, have I screwed up my work area entirely to point where I need to go ahead and just use another room? Though I've still read these posts of people keeping their slightly contam'd cake and getting flushes just fine and studying with no problems. A definite beginner in this and this being my 1st cake to open, of course I don't to get rid of it, I have it submerged still and am wondering from people with this experience; what would you consider the best route for this?  On a side note; after reading almost everything on this website I can & elsewhere, I definitely am going to invest into a PC and start an LC for my next project using casing methods.. BTW, something weird; I've heard everyone say Trich smells loud & horrible like rotten cheese, but the cake smelled of pure fresh mushroom.. hmmm

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: UPDATE [Re: v33g0237]
    #15141616 - 09/27/11 11:57 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

I ended up cutting the cutting into the trich to see how deep it went, it was the size of a dime and had just creeped its ugly ass way onto the top of my cake the day I dunked it.. Anyways I sprayed the spot with a mixed solution, just directly on the spot barely, it shriveled, then I cut the piece out and some around & below it.. I dunked the cake, the trich did not grow back and I have in this single shroomarium and it is doing great with three quarter inch fruits visible that look very healthy and nice...

I'm gonna wait until the fruits are bigger and theres more, before I post any more pics. I just wanted to update for those of you who may encounter a small trich ordeal such as this one... It can be remedied and the trich does not get into the fruit body anyways. So I'll keep posted and hopefully have a decent harvest..

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineBeefcakemighty
Carpetshark
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midgar
    #15141674 - 09/27/11 12:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Glad to hear you fixed your contam and able to fruit off the cake still
:borat:

--------------------
"Hospitality is my house, That a traveler shall share, Warm meal on a hearth And my last horn of mead"

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: UPDATE [Re: Beefcakemighty]
    #15161248 - 10/01/11 05:24 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok guys.. Heres the cake pictured above, I have a serious question here as I am still on my 1st cake.. Okay, well it's obvious my verm barriers need some work and all around, but this one cake has been doing great with its pin-set.. I've had one abort I picked off that bruised a nice blueish-greenish, i just trashed it because it was just 2 damn small and I gotta pick up some desiccant today anyways... My question is, okay the fruits on this cake were growing crazy yesterday all day, on the bottom of the cake there is a ton of pins.. Ok today this same cake looks the same since about 10 hours ago, except the cap is opening up on the tallest one.. Could this be my first flush? Surely not, as I have nice healthy looking pins protruding on the side that are colored & growing ok but still very small and maybe I need to pick these 2 and re-dunk?? I've had 2 aborts so far, very tiny.... One more thing: I looked at the bottom of the cake to check out the activity and my god there is a pile of pins all over the bottom.. Anyone ever flip their cakes for this reason? Or do the mushies have no probs growing out from under-neath like that? These are BHT's btw..
(forgot 2 add that this is the cake that was struck by trich at the last moment on the surface of the cake where it had absolutely no depth hardly and I dropped a tiny bit of solution on it, shriveled, cut out a square, didn't grow back)

**FAE/MISTING AT LEAST 5X A DAY, HUMIDITY STAYS PERFECT, PLAIN PERLITE RINSED AND I USE A SCREW IN 100W COMPACT FLURO FOR THE 12/12 ROTATION)

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

Edited by v33g0237 (10/01/11 06:00 AM)

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

#15161389 - 10/01/11 07:18 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Ok the veil has now broken on the largest one, the other one seems to be growing and theres a pinset on the other side that looks very healthy.. I'm just not sure whether to pick these 2 and redunk or what... Or if this is possible waterlog? argh

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15161581 - 10/01/11 08:52 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Do not flip your cake(s), the pins are growing there because that's were the best conditions are in you FC. You can just pick the one with the torn veil, since it's the only one. You will have to wait for someone with more experience to answer your questions about why you only have a couple larger fruits and a really good pinset. But in my current project I had great pinset, I mean real good. But they were not growing all that fast, like slugs. Then a couple nights ago I noticed the cakes were turning blue, this indicates they were drying out. So I misted the shit out of them (the area above my SGFC with the lid off) and then squirted 5cc's of water under the base of each cake, two days in a row. And they have all of a sudden exploded over night. This is what I did and had good results, not saying that is your problem or what you should do because I am no Trusted Cultivator. Good Luck man :thumbup:

Oh and don't be throwing no pins out! Save them, they may be small but still contain plenty of what your looking for :wink:

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

Re: UPDATE [Re: The Influence]
    #15162623 - 10/01/11 02:01 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you for replying man... I didn't think I was gonna get a reply for a minute at all! Well, I don't know what conditions are causing that one cake to act like that. The only difference it and the others, it's SGFC is a bit smaller, but the 2nd one on the sides veil broke also and grew upwards another inch.. They're about the exact length of a lighter, 2 good ones.. I'll take whatever the hell they give tho right now! And the caps do not appear slimy, not *one* single bit, so everything seems cool.. I dunno where the hell this cake went awry.. A question tho... After I pick the 2, would you suggest I redunk them for a full 24? theres a ton of pins here at a stake to float off, so maybe I should just let this one do it's thing... ? I checked the weight of the cakes, they feel very dense & moist, not 2 much to be water-logged though

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

#15162744 - 10/01/11 02:27 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Personally I would just pick them and let the rest go. If there were more fruits with torn veils (regardless of size) than pins I would say harvest them all, but since it's the other way around I would leave it go and let the pins develop. But thats my opinion, someone else may say different. I literally just harvested two cakes two minutes ago, I went to my bedroom to grab some aspirin and seen torn veils, earlier they didn't even look close mushrooms are crazy.

Offlinev33g0237
WTF man?

#15163160 - 10/01/11 04:05 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

thats so damn true.. those 2 just popped up and I misted em earlier after this post and they grew to a likeable picking size as you suggested, so I got em in my desiccant chamber now.. Only 2, but honestly I had small holes in the small tub, I widened them all, and already its fruiting like crazy since I picked and widened the holes all sides.. Anyways heres how they were on the cake when I picked em, this next pinset looks very promising, hopefully I'll get better results with that lil touch up work...

--------------------
Entertaining to Read

My Current Grow Log

List of great Teks

OfflineChaoman
Philosopher
 User Gallery

#15163196 - 10/01/11 04:13 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

v33g0237 said:
This is my 1st cake that was condensed 7 days, I opened the jar slowly this morning, only to my dismay to see this:

I've read green mold of any type causes no harm to humans whatsoever, but there are so many different opinions on this, it's a lil' hard to figure out on my own, of course this isn't going to be the last cake, as I have a few condensing now. But now that I've opened it my work area and the Trich is on top, have I screwed up my work area entirely to point where I need to go ahead and just use another room? Though I've still read these posts of people keeping their slightly contam'd cake and getting flushes just fine and studying with no problems. A definite beginner in this and this being my 1st cake to open, of course I don't to get rid of it, I have it submerged still and am wondering from people with this experience; what would you consider the best route for this?  On a side note; after reading almost everything on this website I can & elsewhere, I definitely am going to invest into a PC and start an LC for my next project using casing methods.. BTW, something weird; I've heard everyone say Trich smells loud & horrible like rotten cheese, but the cake smelled of pure fresh mushroom.. hmmm

First of all its call the "consolidation period." The green spots on your cake, if it is trichoderma, is a bad sign. You should not have removed the cake from the jar because now you have trich spores all over. It's not worth trying to fruit that cake because then your fruiting chamber will be trich'ed out.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate