Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefltdriver82
Naked and offensive
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a trip
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: johnnyblaze2316]
    #9817860 - 02/17/09 11:56 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Well....
if you would have read the thread you would know that I'm not the one using the pollen, thank you very much. I just think that people have the right to try whatever they want.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: West coast Flag
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9817868 - 02/17/09 11:59 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

for sure....i dont mind either way.....i just agreed w him thats all. :peace:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: fltdriver82]
    #9817878 - 02/18/09 12:02 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Pollen is collected from the bees by having them pass through a hardware cloth at the entrance to the hive.  The pollen is scraped off their legs and drops into a tray below where it's collected.  Many beekeepers collect this pollen and then feed it back to the bees during the winter.  Others sell it on the market, and then feed sugar water to the bees in the off season.  The bees use it to feed the young and queen.  It isn't used in honey making.  They collect and use nectar for that.

My point was a few years ago when bee pollen was all the rage, I tried it on several side by side tests.  There was no increase in growth, rate of colonization, or health of the mycelium vs no pollen.  Since that time, I've started raising bees and studying their habits and needs.  It's universally accepted among beekeepers that harvesting the pollen for sale is hard on the colonies.  Whether that's the main cause for collapse disorder or not is debatable.  My wife and I live in a very remote mountain cabin in an area with no commercial agriculture, but millions of acres of wildflowers all over the mountains, and too far north and too high an elevation for the Africanized bees to survive.  We want to do our part to try to save the bees.  Sorry if I came across as preaching.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelotuskid
Even Stranger than Strange
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9818494 - 02/18/09 05:13 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

it's all good rr. we all can be preachy when it comes to things that pull so strong at our heart strings. I'm just glad to hear that we share an affinity for nature's wellbeing. I had not heard of the harm done by pollen collection, and to be honest I'm not here to debate it. I plan on using what I have, in the original formula side by side with the same formula minus the pollen. Unfortunately for accuracy's sake I'm going to have to wait til I have a fresh tissue to clone. I have a tappy going right now that fully colonized in 7 days. I think that would be a fun one to test. See if I can get a colonized jar in 4 days :lol:

OfflineSkunkworks
Stranger

Loc: Flag
Re: bee pollen ? [Re: lotuskid]
    #14644768 - 06/20/11 07:27 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"For 6 weeks one summer our bees attacked a King Stropharia bed, exposing the mycelium to the air, and suckled the sugar-rich cytoplasm from the wounds. A continuous convoy of bees could be traced, from morning to evening, from our beehives to the mushroom patch, until the bed of King Stropharia literally collapsed. When a report of this phenomenon was published in Harrowsmith Magazine (Ingle, 1988), bee keepers across North America wrote me to explain that they had been long mystified by bees' attraction to sawdust piles. Now it is clear the bees were seeking the underlying sweet mushroom mycelium."http://permaculture-media-download.blogspot.com/

Just thought i'd close that thread with something worth reading.

--------------------
[gradient:#DEA32C,#][/gradient]

Offlinemarijuana dan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: Skunkworks]
    #15086810 - 09/16/11 10:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ive noticed many posts on this website are based on what the poster believes and not based on scientific data alone. If you have done these experiments why didn't you share pictures? Where is the data to support your claim? It seems to me like you are falsifying information based on the fact that "stealing bees pollen makes bees sad" ..come on, for every bee you save or for every bottle you recycle, there is somebody out there killing twice as many bees and throwing away twice as many plastic bottles. Bee pollen is a super nutrient and here are pictures of a subtrate with and without bee pollen.

with bee pollen

without bee pollen

Offlinemarijuana dan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: Skunkworks]
    #15086827 - 09/16/11 11:02 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Ive noticed many posts on this website are based on what the poster believes and not based on scientific data alone. If you have done these experiments why didn't you share pictures? Where is the data to support your claim? It seems to me like you are falsifying information based on the fact that "stealing bees pollen makes bees sad" ..come on, for every bee you save or for every bottle you recycle, there is somebody out there killing twice as many bees and throwing away twice as many plastic bottles. Bee pollen is a super nutrient and here are pictures of a subtrate with and without bee pollen

with bee pollen

without bee pollen

Notice how the jar containing the bee pollen has much happier/whiter mycelium? Bee pollen is an excellent ingredient considering that it is the nutrients from over 100,000 different plants that the bee's collect manually.

If you come up with conclusions based on bias alone that is NOT good scientific research

Offlinemarijuana dan
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: marijuana dan]
    #15086836 - 09/16/11 11:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The webpage glitched and did not show my post, when i re submitted it showed one post, now the original appears??

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: bee pollen ? [Re: marijuana dan]
    #15086940 - 09/16/11 11:27 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

notice how you are growing from spores and expecting your "scientific" results to mean anything?

bee pollen does jack shit in my experience.

dont grow from spores if you are looking to compare substrate results.

for information on why.

click the link in my sig entitled MUSHROOM STRAINS.

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds