Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sissy's Cooter, Alabama
Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger?
    #15083869 - 09/15/11 05:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I'm just curious... I looked my shrooms this morning, left for 4 hours, and came back, and they look like they grew alot. I've watched alot of time lapse videos, and they all seem to grow slow as pins, but as soo as they get about an inch and a half, they start growing like crazy. I also heard Paul Stamets say in a video, that he has a ritual of watching teh veil break, and the caps open up, and that all takes place in 30 to 45 mins, and you can literally sit there and watch it it happens so quick.

I've also seen alot of grow logs and they would have a pic of 2" shrooms on say, the 12th, and they would post an update the next day, on the 13th, and the same shrooms will have more than doubled, almost tripled in size, and be like 4 to 5" in just 24 hours. So is that what happens? This is the pic I took at 3pm this afternoon and this one exactly 4 hours later when I got home I know it's nothing super crazy, but that's a good bit of growth for 4 hours. if they keep growing at that rate, they'll be twice that big by tomorrow. Today is their 3rd day, so they are right on schedule, but what's up with the growth speed? DO you guys notice the same thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTekLogiX
Old Skool Shroomerite
Male

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #15083904 - 09/15/11 05:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

They speed up tremendously right as the veil breaks... In fact, I watched the veil break on one of mine last week...  Been doing this as a hobby for ten years now and it was my first time to actually see it happen in real-time... very cool

:smile:

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: TekLogiX]
    #15084022 - 09/15/11 06:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TekLogiX said:
They speed up tremendously right as the veil breaks... In fact, I watched the veil break on one of mine last week...  Been doing this as a hobby for ten years now and it was my first time to actually see it happen in real-time... very cool

:smile:

That is TOO fuckin cool. Well I plan on harvesting those tomorrow, but just by lookin at em, when do you think It'll be time to watch the veil break? You think by tomorrow as I planned? I wanted to pick them right before the veil broke because I hear that's the pot they are most potent. But if I can actually watch the veils break, I'm willing to wait.

I just think that would be cool as fuck. The pins showed up in the jar on 9/11, and I waited till 9/12 to birth them, So they have been out of jar, and in the FC and growing since 9/12, so today is the 3rd day, and from what everyone says, it take 3-5 days but usually 4 for the pins to mature fully.

But when do YOU think I can expect my veil to break?

OfflineTekLogiX
Old Skool Shroomerite
Male

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: Mr.FunGuy]
    #15084166 - 09/15/11 07:03 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It's really hard to predict something like that, tons of factors, but if I was a betting man...I'd say Saturday morning.....  The veil will completely tear in about 45 minutes from start of tear....  I happened to catch mine right when it was finishing, so I saw the whole thing drop...  very cool....  I could see the spores collecting on the top of the cap, leaving a purple hue...

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: TekLogiX]
    #15084285 - 09/15/11 07:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TekLogiX said:
It's really hard to predict something like that, tons of factors, but if I was a betting man...I'd say Saturday morning.....  The veil will completely tear in about 45 minutes from start of tear....  I happened to catch mine right when it was finishing, so I saw the whole thing drop...  very cool....  I could see the spores collecting on the top of the cap, leaving a purple hue...

You mean the the spores dropped on the cap of the shroom that was below it?I'm pretty sure you do, cuz how could a shroom drop spores on it own head?

But anyways, Man I honestly just might wait till my other pins/baby shrooms mature to watch the veil break. I'm REALLY trying to trip tomorrow night, So, I don't think I'll make it it that long, but I have TONS of cakes and bulk trays that will be fruiting in a few days, so I will have PLENTY of time to watch a veil break.

But do you think by tomorrow night they will be ready to pick? and by pick I mean right before or a few hours before the veil breaks? I plan on letting them grow till tomorrow night, then pick them, take some pics, then immediately eat them. So if you're betting the veils will be breaking Saturday morning, then tomorrow night about 9 or 10pm, they should be right at that point I'm lookin for...Right?

OfflineTekLogiX
Old Skool Shroomerite
Male

#15108302 - 09/20/11 06:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You get those bad boys picked?

Offlinecarnage11
Mushroom Magician
Male User Gallery

Loc: 407 Flag
    #15110008 - 09/21/11 12:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Haha, shrooms can definitely blow spores on their own caps. :lol:

--------------------
You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

Loc: HMAS Hammersley
Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: carnage11]
    #15110148 - 09/21/11 12:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It;s funny.. in one of my tubs, my shrooms are harvesting themselves. THey are getting overly top heavy and large/lopsided that they just fall over when the veil breaks, and the substrate is unharmed I can just like pull it off. They arr like "harvest me!"

But yeah man.. mushroms have a few days of EXPLOSIVE growth..it's insane. I think it's great.. you can check back every few hours and see Really tangible results. All this waiting and battling of the invisible enemies and finally you get a super climactic ending! Totally worth the wait.

Edited by buffer (09/21/11 12:55 AM)

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

#15110233 - 09/21/11 01:24 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

TekLogiX said:
You get those bad boys picked?

Ohh yea, I forgot about this thread... The final harvest weight was 39.7 grams dry... And I just harvest another cake today, with what I swore was less shrooms, but it came out to 40g even...But they were soo fat when they were pins.... here's a pic... and I swore they were gonna be my 1st "poster" mushrooms... Well... they grew into these the next night   and by morning they caps had all opened just as wide as they could without breakin... I was soo disappointed... WTF happened? My humidity is around 98-100%... I've been fanning and misting like normal... The cake are PLENTY hydrated...

I suck up water in a syringe and use it to wet the verm on the top and bottom of the cakes... That way they stay hydrated, and I don't hurt anything by not having to spray them directly... Is it just genetics? IDK what strain they are, cuz I got em mixed up like a dumb ass... But I did learn you can't judge the final size of a shroom from a pin... I've found that when the veil starts to form, the end is near, and when the cap even starts to open up, the end is definitely near...

Is there any environmental conditions that could be making my shrooms just stop growing and open up? My humidity is about as high as it can go, but yet I fan about 5 times a day, and mist about 3... What else can I do...? They are getting bot indirect sunlight, And 4100K CFL lighting too... SO what's the problem?

Also, If you take a print from a small cap, will all the shrooms produced from those spores be small as well?

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

#15110363 - 09/21/11 02:38 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Damn yo that one shroom si sick it has a serious fat ass stem.

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: buffer]
    #15110366 - 09/21/11 02:40 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

buffer said:
Damn yo that one shroom si sick it has a serious fat ass stem.

Ye, but it's hollow...And that shroom only ended up being about 2 and a half inches long... Not the biggest...

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #15110381 - 09/21/11 02:50 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Let them actually grow till the cap at least starts to tear away. Bet they would have grown at least 50% more from what they are there. Still nice lookie mushies:thumbup:

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: The Influence]
    #15110417 - 09/21/11 03:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Influence said:
Let them actually grow till the cap at least starts to tear away. Bet they would have grown at least 50% more from what they are there. Still nice lookie mushies:thumbup:

I didn't pick them after that pic... I let the caps open ALL the way.. Trust me, they were done... the longest ones were 3"

OfflineThe Influence
Free Sheeks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Not Wisconsin
    #15110434 - 09/21/11 03:29 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hhm if you said the humidity was right and you were giving them plenty of fae, then I don't have a guess for you. Is that the second or third flush?

OfflinePocketRevolution
Stranger
Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: The Influence]
    #15110842 - 09/21/11 08:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If you take a sporeprint from a small cap, you will get a random selection of genetics, much like you will get from any sporeprint.  You will not be selecting for small caps.  It would be nice if it worked that way, as you could breed qualities into your shrooms with successive generations of sporeprints.  But it doesn't.

Yeah, they grow like gangbusters once they get going.

InvisibleStropharis
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #15110906 - 09/21/11 08:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
The cake are PLENTY hydrated...

I suck up water in a syringe and use it to wet the verm on the top and bottom of the cakes

:rolleyes:

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: Stropharis]
    #15112415 - 09/21/11 02:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Stropharis said:
Quote:

Mr.FunGuy said:
The cake are PLENTY hydrated...

I suck up water in a syringe and use it to wet the verm on the top and bottom of the cakes

:rolleyes:

Whats wrong with that? hats the most gentile way in the world to apply water to a cake...I don't stick it in the cake...I just drip drops of water of the verm tops...

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

#15112647 - 09/21/11 03:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You might be over saturating them using a technique like that.

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: buffer]
    #15112669 - 09/21/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Yep.  Too lazy to type out why, so I'll steal it from someone else.

Quote:

Mushrooming up over night? If the body is spread out and microscopic, how do mushrooms grow so quickly? There are two basic reasons: 1) Since they store up compounds between fruiting and most fruit once a year, they have a lot of reserve available to support the mushroom. 2) Mushrooms develop differently than plants or animals do. Plants and animals grow through cell division - to get bigger they have to produce more cells. Cell division is relatively slow and requires a lot of energy. The mushroom body also grows by cell division. However, the mushroom fruit does not grow by cell division. Just about as soon as it starts to develop, a mushroom has almost the same number of cells that the mature mushroom will have. The mushroom increases in size through cell ENLARGEMENT! This means that the cells can balloon up very rapidly. Very little energy is required, basically the cells just enlarge with water. So a mushroom can increase in size as fast as water can be pumped into its cells. Almost overnight a mushroom can go from a pin head to a large mushroom.

Source: http://www.gmushrooms.com/info.htm

OfflineMr.FunGuy
Back at it..
Male User Gallery

Re: Do mushrooms pick up growth speed as they get older and bigger? [Re: Sillicybin]
    #15118486 - 09/22/11 05:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sillicybin said:
Quote:

Yep.  Too lazy to type out why, so I'll steal it from someone else.

Quote:

Mushrooming up over night? If the body is spread out and microscopic, how do mushrooms grow so quickly? There are two basic reasons: 1) Since they store up compounds between fruiting and most fruit once a year, they have a lot of reserve available to support the mushroom. 2) Mushrooms develop differently than plants or animals do. Plants and animals grow through cell division - to get bigger they have to produce more cells. Cell division is relatively slow and requires a lot of energy. The mushroom body also grows by cell division. However, the mushroom fruit does not grow by cell division. Just about as soon as it starts to develop, a mushroom has almost the same number of cells that the mature mushroom will have. The mushroom increases in size through cell ENLARGEMENT! This means that the cells can balloon up very rapidly. Very little energy is required, basically the cells just enlarge with water. So a mushroom can increase in size as fast as water can be pumped into its cells. Almost overnight a mushroom can go from a pin head to a large mushroom.

Source: http://www.gmushrooms.com/info.htm

So it is an issue with water...? If the cake or substrate has plenty of water, then the mushroom will get big, fast.... I thought that was why my 1st cake was growing soo slow. I didn't dunk it after I birthed it due to all the pins on it, and it took about 7 full days for the pins to fully mature... Then I had a cake I did dunk, which was the last cake I harvested, and the pins fully matured in 3 days...

A few people that really do know alot about cultivation told me that dunking wouldn't matter, but I still think that's bullshit... But now I keep my cakes hydrated...

Invisiblebuffer
Senior Seaman Sailor

#15118531 - 09/22/11 05:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone who said dunking wouldn't matter doesn't know what they are talking about.

Like you just said.. mushrooms are mainly water (like 90% of their weight). The dunk is what rehydrates your cake after the long colonization period, and after each fruiting period. Feel your cake after you dunk, now feel it after you've harvested. It's crazy how much lighter it is.. Misting can never replace all the lost moisture you'd replace dunking. It's just to keep the moisture level up.

If anything, maybe he meant misting wasn't vital and not dunking.

Edited by buffer (09/22/11 05:43 PM)

InvisiblecH4inR34cT10n
Stranger

#15121280 - 09/23/11 04:30 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

after primoridia have matured to a pin/smal fruitbody the only thing  which will happen (besides formation of basidiospores) is pumping cells with water which results in a fast enlagement of the fruitbody

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract