Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinelosfreddyS
retired
 User Gallery

creating a super strain by cross breeding spores
    #15082421 - 09/15/11 01:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all.  I was talking with my friend last night and we kinda got to thinking..  If u can mix spores and create a hybrid, whats stopping u from cross breeding that hybrid several times with other strains to create a strain with better performance, better potency?

for instance, i mixed Maz and Redspore to which i think i may have created a cross. Please observe..

Maz

Mazx Redspore

Redspore

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14805875

To me, the maz x redspore has the traits of both Maz and redspore.  Its smaller than both the maz and respore, but looks similar to both. 

So suppose these strains have crossed and carried traits from both parents.  What it u were to take this hybrid and cross it again with another great performer, then take that hybrid and cross it again ?! Wouldnt u in a sense b creating a strain that has many positive characteristics of all the strains combined and possibly super charge the potency??  I think it would b worth a shot.  What do u guys think?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSlayer1024
Stranger Shroomer
Male

Loc: At his place ^^
Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: losfreddy]
    #15082537 - 09/15/11 01:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

losfreddy said:
Hi all.  I was talking with my friend last night and we kinda got to thinking..  If u can mix spores and create a hybrid, whats stopping u from cross breeding that hybrid several times with other strains to create a strain with better performance, better potency?

for instance, i mixed Maz and Redspore to which i think i may have created a cross. Please observe..

Maz

Mazx Redspore

Redspore

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14805875

To me, the maz x redspore has the traits of both Maz and redspore.  Its smaller than both the maz and respore, but looks similar to both. 

So suppose these strains have crossed and carried traits from both parents.  What it u were to take this hybrid and cross it again with another great performer, then take that hybrid and cross it again ?! Wouldnt u in a sense b creating a strain that has many positive characteristics of all the strains combined and possibly super charge the potency??  I think it would b worth a shot.  What do u guys think?

How exactly did you "mix" these strains? and it won't necessarily take the good traits it could wind up with more bad than good

--------------------
If it's not white, it's not right.
RR

OfflinelosfreddyS
retired
 User Gallery

Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: Slayer1024]
    #15082576 - 09/15/11 02:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i mixed the spores in a multi-spore syringe.  At least i think hybridization took place..  please refer to the grow log.  The mix of the spores turned small, miniature shrooms with less weight as compared to the two parent shrooms which were larger and had more weight.  But what im aiming for next is a strain with better potency.  Kinda like how they cross-breed weed strains to make better weed with better traits and more THC.

Invisiblecc2
Mush

#15082675 - 09/15/11 02:31 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

losfreddy said:
i mixed the spores in a multi-spore syringe.  At least i think hybridization took place..

are you really sure hybridization is that easy? ever heard of snake venom and mycelium isolates? :shrug:

Offlinedr harry bush
Grow wiz kid
 User Gallery

Loc: 3rd rock from the sun
Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: cc2]
    #15082807 - 09/15/11 03:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------

OfflinelosfreddyS
retired
 User Gallery

Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: cc2]
    #15082816 - 09/15/11 03:12 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It may or maynot b as easy as mixing spores and no I haven't heard of snake venom and mycelium. I thought that there was past successes of hybridization by mixing spores. RR created a penius envy cross by mixing spores I thought. It's always good to experiment thou.  I mixed these spores and got this result. I feel like hybridization accured cause of the difference in shroons when compared to the control. So no, I'm not sure if creating hybrids is as easy as mixing spores, but it might b. I feel like its worth a shot thou.

A few years back people on the shroomery speculated that one strain would just take over the other. Now its common belief that u can cross breeds. What's the hurt in trying?  Unless someone tries, we may never know. But if it is possible, perhaps a super strain or really cool strain can b created. Look at what they've done with weed.

OfflineXFINITY
Not a noob just quiet
Male User Gallery

Loc: 33*44'43.5N 117*55'08.2W
    #15086637 - 09/16/11 12:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

To create a super strain would involve single spores (haploid) from each strain forming diploid cells and then maturing enough to create offspring. Good luck with the multi-spore approach.

Offlinek00laid
NEMO
 User Gallery

Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: XFINITY]
    #15087335 - 09/16/11 02:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

XFINITY said:
Good luck with the multi-spore approach.

:rofl: :whathesaid:

--------------------
AMU - AMU Q & A - MyVideo Teks!

OfflineFlowing
Monkey

Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: k00laid]
    #15090404 - 09/17/11 04:25 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

well with multispore you would have monokaryot --> dikaryot couplings but also dikaryotic pairings through anastomosis.

It's a legit way of mixing them, it's just that the substrate would be a mess of all sorts of strains. In mycology, a strain is a dikaryotic result from two monokaryots meeting, or the resulting strain from an anastomotic coupling.

This works, but it's not really working the way you think it's working. you'll have to take prints and move on to the next generation to see what the traits are like. I wonder if rust spores are dominant or recessive...

You should search for and read the posts by RR about breeding, and other threads on crossing cubensis. Mycological breeding is much more complicated than plants or animals, and I'm baked, it's late and I don't want to explain how dikaryotic couplings themselves will decide the appearance of the fruitbodies etc.

--------------------
He believed that educated people
could make up their own minds.
His motto, as head of one of the first and
most important review panels, was great encouragement: "We're not here
to play God."

-DMT: The Spirit Molecule

Offline30rack
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: Flowing]
    #15131629 - 09/25/11 01:01 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Flowing said:
well with multispore you would have monokaryot --> dikaryot couplings but also dikaryotic pairings through anastomosis.

It's a legit way of mixing them, it's just that the substrate would be a mess of all sorts of strains. In mycology, a strain is a dikaryotic result from two monokaryots meeting, or the resulting strain from an anastomotic coupling.

This works, but it's not really working the way you think it's working. you'll have to take prints and move on to the next generation to see what the traits are like. I wonder if rust spores are dominant or recessive...

You should search for and read the posts by RR about breeding, and other threads on crossing cubensis. Mycological breeding is much more complicated than plants or animals, and I'm baked, it's late and I don't want to explain how dikaryotic couplings themselves will decide the appearance of the fruitbodies etc.

Waay more complex.. A good place to start is in the fact that (this) mycelium is dinucleic, which is completely relevant to its sexual propagation. If that doesnt make sense, (OP) has some research to do!

instead of trying to stabilize a hybrid, why not use cloning techniques? find a fruit you like and propagate the fucker.

--------------------
My badass incubator/fruiting chamber: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18651749

My beefy pasteurizer: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18649670

Edited by 30rack (09/26/11 12:17 AM)

Invisiblefilthydee
 User Gallery

Re: creating a super strain by cross breeding spores [Re: 30rack]
    #15163130 - 10/01/11 05:57 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Dr harry, if i'm not mistaken. didn't you just mix jars of colonized grain with substrate to come up with zape?

thought i'd read that before.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology