Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study
    #15077161 - 09/14/11 08:58 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Parents of teens: Before you sneer at all those other kids out there who are doing drugs and drinking, you might want to have a frank talk with your own.

Chances are you’re underestimating your teenager’s drug and alcohol use, according to a new poll of parents of teens ages 13-17, out of the University of Michigan.

Ten per cent of parents believe their own teens have used alcohol in the last year and just 5 per cent believe their own teens have used marijuana.

The teens themselves? According to the most recent research, 52 per cent of 10th graders reported drinking alcohol in the last year and 28 per cent of 10th graders reported using marijuana in the last year.

“There’s a clear mismatch between what parents are reporting in terms of their children’s possible use of substances and what teenagers report themselves,” Bernard Biermann, the medical director of the Child/Adolescent Inpatient Unit at the University of Michigan, said in a release.

The numbers aren’t too different in Canada. In its 2009 report about Ontario teens’ drug and alcohol use, Toronto’s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health found that 58 per cent of students in Grade 7 to 12 reported drinking in the past year. And one in four teens smoked marijuana in the past year.

The Michigan researchers also found that parents of teens over-estimate what other people’s teens are up to. Parents believe that at least 40 per cent of 10th graders used marijuana in the last year and that 60 per cent of 10th graders drank alcohol.

“In other words, parents are more likely to expect marijuana and alcohol use by teenagers other than their own,” the researchers said in the release.

Dr. Biermann suggests that in addition to educational campaigns, parents need to communicate better. In the release, Dr. Biermann’s advice includes raising the topic in a non-threatening, non-judgmental way and not overreacting to a single instance of substance use.

Still, the Times’ Lisa Belkin sums it up best. While the researchers are doing their best to offer up helpful suggestions, perhaps the most useful tip for parents is “ ...the message that it quite likely is your kid.”

Ouch.

Parents, how realistic are you about what your teen is up to?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/pot-booze-thats-your-teen-not-mine-parents-say-in-new-study/article2162614/

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: Simplepowa]
    #15077208 - 09/14/11 09:10 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

What is wrong with parents these days :grin:

:peace::gd_icon:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #15077247 - 09/14/11 09:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

OfflineRemix
grammer natze
 User Gallery

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: Heffy]
    #15077294 - 09/14/11 09:32 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"I'm trying to blow up your head with my mind." :lol:

--------------------

Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: Remix]
    #15077362 - 09/14/11 09:53 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I coulda told you this... I can't tell you how many times I've seen kids who are completely wasted/high as shit and the parents are like THIS ISNT MY KIDS FAULT, HE WOULD NEVER DO THIS.  I BET HIS FRIENDS SLIPPED ALCOHOL AND DRUGS INTO HIS SODA!  HE"S A GOOODDD KIIIDDDD!!!

sure buddy.

--------------------

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: bbl337]
    #15077376 - 09/14/11 09:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

^why can't he still be a good child while still taking/doing drugs?

I don't understand :confused:

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

OfflineSnoogansflip
Ashtronaut
Male

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: Simplepowa]
    #15078004 - 09/14/11 12:29 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Simplepowa said:
^why can't he still be a good child while still taking/doing drugs?

I don't understand :confused:

I'm right there with ya man...

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Pot? Booze? That’s your teen, not mine, parents say in new study [Re: Heffy]
    #15080331 - 09/14/11 09:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Heffy said:
What's wrong with the youth of today?

....wow

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

#15121476 - 09/23/11 06:45 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jaydeer said:
Quote:

Simplepowa said:
Parents of teens: Before you sneer at all those other kids out there who are doing drugs and drinking, you might want to have a frank talk with your own.

Chances are you’re underestimating your teenager’s drug and alcohol use, according to a new poll of parents of teens ages 13-17, out of the University of Michigan.

This is quite alarming but definitely an eye-opener for us parents. Truly there may be symptoms and signs that our teens might be addicted to alcohol or drugs. You may want to take notice of your teen's loss of appetite or disinterest in school or poor personal hygiene. The change of attitude, "fashion choices" and the company of friends who may likely be bad influences. Most especially, be aware if you have prescription drugs missing in your medicine cabinet, it's actually a possible sign that your kids are into it. Some of these signs may be associated with depression too but nevertheless, once you'll notice this, it's still essential that your teens be given help, may it be depression alone or being under the influence of drugs and alcohol. It would be helpful to get informed with any parenting resources about how to deal with our possible troubled teens.

:lmafo:

This post is priceless.
:dumbass:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale