Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help
    #1507626 - 04/30/03 02:45 PM (14 years, 16 hours ago)

hey, I have decided I would like to grow my own shrooms but I will still be living with my folks for a few more years (finished my first year of university). Sometime this week I plan to go on a walk with my mom (who is pretty cool and open minded about lots of stuff) and present my case to her. Here is an outline of what I will say: (please feel free to comment and give me tips and others useful info :smile: )

1. Creating the right mind set
I don't want to just all of a sudden ask her straight up about growing drugs in our house, so I was thinking of first talking about marijuana and how it is probably going to get decriminalized in Canada (heard in on the radio today) I'll mention stuff like how pot smokers don't belong to be put along side to rapists and murderers in jail. After opening the discussion to drugs I'll jump into the mushrooms  :laugh:

2. Introducing the mushroom
I have already told my mom that I would like to try psilocybin mushrooms and she was ok with that, her only question was "Why do you want to try it? Can't the world be viewed as a beautiful place without using a drug to change your perspective?" This was very difficult for me to answer since I have never tried any kind of psychadelic drugs before, and I had to go by other people's experiences and my own research. I said that you can learn a great deal about yourself, that you feel more at one with nature, that it feels like you are using 100% of your brain, and I even threw a Terence McKenna quote in there and how he said he can't imagine a person going through their life without ever experiencing a mushroom trip, that its like living your life and never experiencing what sex is. I'm sure she will ask me this again, any ideas?

3. Are they dangerous to your health?
I'll mention that it is impossible to overdose and that  they cause no physical damage to your body. The only risk is if you are mentally unstable or have any serious mental health issues (which I don't). If she still doubts me I will be happy to give her links to www.erowid.com, to this site, and any other good sources of information, any books/links you guys can tell me?

4. Why grow it?
I'm pretty sure my mom will be cool about the idea of trying these things, but growing it in my house is another issue. Here is how I will pitch it to her: There are basically three ways to obtain mushrooms -

a) You can pick them fresh from nature
Pros: Fresh from the earth for free!
Cons: They don't really grow in my area (Toronto, Canada) and there is a risk of picking the wrong kind and getting poisoned even if they do grow locally.

b) Buy from a dealer.
Pros: Least amount of effort to obtain them.
Cons: May be hard to find dealer, chance of the mushrooms being tampered with, too expensive.

c) Growing them yourself
Pros: You'll know exactly what you are putting into your body, save lots of money and lower risk of running into the law, learn to respect the mushrooms through caring for them and relatively easy to grow.
Cons: It is illegal to grow, big trouble if cops were to find them.

I'm pretty sure my mom might get hung up on that last part..if cops were to find them.

There is one last issue but it's more of a personal thing, unlike my mom, my dad is really closed minded and uptight about this sort of stuff and I'm sure he would not be happy about this. I was thinking we keep it a secret from him or at least not mention these are drugs we are growing, that they're only just some mushrooms. I feel bad about lying but if he's says NO to this (which I'm pretty sure he would) there is no chance I can grow them in my house.

Well that's it folks! I know it's a little lenghty but I'm really excited and anxious about this and I wanna present this to my mom the best I can.         

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: chodamunky]
    #1507637 - 04/30/03 02:47 PM (14 years, 16 hours ago)

Good luck man...

OfflineODhaze
outdoorhaze

Loc: in the haze
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1507800 - 04/30/03 03:32 PM (14 years, 15 hours ago)

start small, mention invitro teks,  and how simple and smalle scale it can be.  Also, bring up the idea of growing mushrooms (gourmet) as a hobby.  Something educational, and self affirming :smile:

--------------------
I believe i will go out to the seashore, let the waves wash my mind. Gunna open up my head now just to see what i can find...

OfflineBob_J
Spaced outRabbit

Loc: alberta canada
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1507804 - 04/30/03 03:34 PM (14 years, 15 hours ago)

actually my parents told the police about me growing them, and they didnt do anything....hell my parents brought the PF tek jars BACK with them from the police station and threw them in the garbage.....of course i salvaged a couple and got a trip out of it..which was one of the best i think cause i grew them myself. 3.6g to myself.

--------------------

"With insomnia your never really asleep, and your never really awake"

Offlinedjd586
Underpants Gnome

#1507863 - 04/30/03 03:52 PM (14 years, 15 hours ago)

You sound like you have your plan pretty well outlined.

When I used to grow mushrooms, I started my frist grow when I was 19 and had one year of college under my belt... just as you do. I was sure my parents would object to me growing mushrooms in their house and if I defied them, they would have most likely threw me out.

My older brother had his own house and was very psycheldic freindly and he was more then happy to let me attemp to grow at his place. I grew at his house on several different occasions and had very sucessful crops, but it became very burdensome to have to drive 10 miles to his place every other day to check the progress of my crop.

By the time I was 23, I was still living at home working my way through college and I thought I could get away with growing mushrooms in my basement without my parents catching on. Things went well for awhile untill my mom went in my room and discoverd my crop. I was ashamed of myself and she was very unhappy with me. She wanted me to get all the mushrooms out or move out of the house. I told her I would get rid of everything.

Time went by and I procrastinated and never moved my crop out of the house. Then a few weeks later she stumbled across them once again. We sat down and had a long talk. Why do you need to take drugs? Mushrooms are going to kill you. You're going to go to jail... blah blah blah.

I started from the begining telling her everything there was to know about mushrooms. I brought her to my computer and gave her various links she could explore on mushrooms. She seems skeptical but knew I had made a valid argument. I told her I didn't sell the mushrooms I grew and I didn't tell anyone I grew them. I just enjoyed growing them as a hobby and enjoyed to eat them once in awhile to excape the stresses of work and college. She was still unhappy about the whole situation but kept a open mind. I worked hard, recieved good grades in school, had a healthy social and family life... shrooms weren't having any negative impact on my life, and she agknowledged that.

She was still hesitant but allowed me to procede in growing. I grew for one more year there after an never encountered any problems with my mom. She of course would always kiddingly nag me about mushrooms though. "Are you on mushrooms? Why is your room dirty, are you high oon mushrooms? You have a cold becuase you're on mushrooms you know."

Anyhow, I know my story doesn't help you out... just thought it would perhaps give you hope. Maybe you can pull something off my experience that will help you out... I don't know.

Good luck

--------------------

Phase 1... collect underpants... phase 2...??? ... Phase 3 - PROFIT!

Edited by djd586 (04/30/03 03:55 PM)

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
    #1508214 - 04/30/03 05:35 PM (14 years, 13 hours ago)

Maybe start with this:

Buddism; the religion based on obtaining enlightenment by meditation. Meditation is accomplished when your brain releases small amounts of DMT via the Pineal gland. The Buddists believe you are reincarnated on the 49th day after death. The 49th day of conception is also the day of the first appearence of the pineal gland in the fetus. You do DMT (most likely) when you are born, at night when you sleep, and when you die. If you compair DMT with Psilocin, which is what psilocybin turns into before it enters the brain, you will see that psilocin only has one more oxygen than DMT. When asked why you do mushrooms, it seems a good answer would be "to reach enlightenment." Hope this helps.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
    #1508277 - 04/30/03 05:51 PM (14 years, 13 hours ago)

I had trouble explaining to my parents why drugs aren't bad. They pulled the "cant you be happy without them?" and other questions like it BS. Hard to explain... Until recently my mom was very close minded about drugs, she didnt care what scientist said, they were bad. Finally after her researching and me still doing them while having a happy family life and good grade etc I think shes accepting as long as its not obvious I do them.

I think you already have a good plan worked out. Good luck :wink:

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

#1508640 - 04/30/03 07:47 PM (14 years, 11 hours ago)

well...the verdict is in. I just came back from the walk and we had a long discussion about drugs. To get to the point, she doesn't want me TRYING mushrooms until I move out on my own and when I'm not under her care anymore.  She said if anything should happen to me (physically or mentally) while still living in our house then she wouldn't be able to forgive herself. She thinks I'm not ready to experiment with such things. I told her I've been doing research into them for over a year, and that I believe I am mentally prepared but she still says no.  :frown:

So automatically growing the little guys in my house is out of the question. What remains now is do I still try mushrooms before I move out (of course not telling my mom about it)  or do I listen to my mom's advice and wait it out (at least 3 or 4 more years)? hmmmmmmm. 

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

#1508657 - 04/30/03 07:55 PM (14 years, 11 hours ago)

You're old enough, how old are you suppost to be? If anything I'd say you're passed your drug experimental years, not menaing you cant do them but meaning you should have already. I say you grow somewhere else if possible, or get shrooms some other way and try a level one or two trip. After you're safe try another dose late at a higher level 2 or 3 and then after try it once more w/ your favorite dose and tell your mom how well everything went. After this your mom doesn't have a lack of experiance reason and then you'll have a better idea of what you want for sure.

OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: DailyPot]
    #1508780 - 04/30/03 08:37 PM (14 years, 10 hours ago)

When I was 16 in my house growing shrooms my parents never knew about it... but after I had failed and they found everyrhing, they looked at the syringe and were like, "Heroin?"  hehe... of course I told them everything about how I tried to grow shrooms, and all my mom said was, "The only thing I have to say about mushrooms is even the great mushroom guru himself died from eating a poison mushroom."  That was more finding mushrooms, wich has a little more risk to it, being able to properly identify the mushroom you are going to eat is important.  But anyway, you mom sounds pretty cool, you dad... well... I might sugjest finding an alternative location for these shrooms, if you had some sort of open space, or you could get a tamper proof chest and drill holes in it... just well... be careful, don't want your dad to throw you out. :wink:

Sko

--------------------
Sko

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: Sko]
    #1508798 - 04/30/03 08:43 PM (14 years, 10 hours ago)

lol
My friends parents found his syringe. They flipped out thinking it was heroin also but actully didn't care after they found out it was just tripping mushrooms hehe :smirk:

Invisiblepoke smot!
floccinocci floofinator
Male

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help *DELETED* [Re: chodamunky]
    #1508992 - 04/30/03 09:56 PM (14 years, 9 hours ago)

Post deleted by poke smot!

Reason for deletion: x

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1509100 - 04/30/03 10:37 PM (14 years, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Buddism; the religion based on obtaining enlightenment by meditation. Meditation is accomplished when your brain releases small amounts of DMT via the Pineal gland. The Buddists believe you are reincarnated on the 49th day after death. The 49th day of conception is also the day of the first appearence of the pineal gland in the fetus. You do DMT (most likely) when you are born, at night when you sleep, and when you die. If you compair DMT with Psilocin, which is what psilocybin turns into before it enters the brain, you will see that psilocin only has one more oxygen than DMT. When asked why you do mushrooms, it seems a good answer would be "to reach enlightenment." Hope this helps.

You say this as though it's fact, but it's only a theory

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: zeta]
    #1509165 - 04/30/03 10:59 PM (14 years, 8 hours ago)

Its still worth a try. Alot of shit is theory because it cannot be proven, even things we know are true. Kinda like evolution and earthquakes. It would be hard, immoral, dangerous and probably illegal to test out that theory.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: poke smot!]
    #1509372 - 04/30/03 11:46 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

I respect my mom's advice but I've decided I'm still gonna try shrooms while living at home, what she doesn't know can't hurt her.  Hell I can wait till I get my own place for growing but I can't wait 3 or 4 years for my first mushroom experience. thx for your support guys  :smile:

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: zeta]
    #1509393 - 04/30/03 11:50 PM (14 years, 7 hours ago)

It sounds better that way.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: psychopsilocyber]
    #1509766 - 05/01/03 01:37 AM (14 years, 5 hours ago)

too bad man, I wish my mom was as open minded about this stuff, she might be, but I can't risk finding out, it moght arise suspicion

Anonymous

Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1510088 - 05/01/03 03:07 AM (14 years, 3 hours ago)

well I convinced my mom too let me grow...I am 21 tho...living at home for a year or so more...anyways...I just did pretty much what you described but you gotta expect a no at first...its a mothers natural response that drugs are bad I think...my mom has never done a drug in her life or even been drunk...but shes cool with it now...and even gave me tips for sterilization(shes been canning for years)

btw the above statement is a lie, I am a compulsive liar

OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
Re: convincing a parent to let me grow shrooms, please help [Re: ]
    #1510369 - 05/01/03 05:11 AM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

ya my dad found some syringes fwhen we were moving the bastard comes up to me is like "i found syringes under your matress" i was so freakin scared ..hes like the needles were to big for humans so wut was it for glue or something...i was like ya ya so ..blah blah changed the subject...scary shit...good luck with your grow

--------------------
Mice have feelings

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1510974 - 05/01/03 12:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

so did you bring it up with her?

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience