Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Loc: EU
Interesting but unknown cacti to me, ID please. :)
    #15066708 - 09/12/11 10:40 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Hi.

I found two cactis from local flower and cactus shop. Another one have 8 ribs and second cactus have 9 ribs. There are lots of small spines and other spines are longer and on top of the cactus have coloured spines like red/orange. Spine color below the top is white/yellow. Looks like it's a some trichocereus but im not sure about it, I don't care.. I just buyed them cause I don't have cactus like this but I want to know what species this might be?

Can anyone tell me what species this maybe is? I have some pics from both of cactis.

One cacti:

Picture from up:

Both cactis:

What species these two might be? First of all it comes to my mind these are somekind of trichos cause of outlook of ribs. Spines and top of cacti do not look like tricho and I have never seen cactus like this. Can someone help me ID this? :smirk:

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMostly_HarmlessM
wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

Loc: Perfidious Albion Flag
Re: Interesting but unknown cacti to me, ID please. :) [Re: intelligentlife]
    #15066816 - 09/12/11 11:13 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Pilosocereus

--------------------
●  EG Rules and Guidelines ● 

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Re: Interesting but unknown cacti to me, ID please. :) [Re: Mostly_Harmless]
    #15066985 - 09/12/11 11:58 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks.

Im wondering what pilocereus it is then.. :smile:

There is list of my piolocereus cactus species what I have:

Pilosocereus Palmieri
Pilosocereus Azureus
Pilosocereus Chrysothele

These two ain't similar to these species. Only the color is kinda similar to some of pilosocereus cactis what I have. Hmm... :rolleyes:

First what comes to my mind after for a while searching is T. Poco cause these cactis makes small hairs from aeroles with spikes, but there are not much of the these hairs. Only thing I found from google is T. Poco is hairy cactus too what I look at the photos.. Or do I have seen some false photos or something from google? :o

If someone know what psilocereus cactis are at my pictures please tell me if someone know.. :tongue2:

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (09/12/11 12:01 PM)

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#15067095 - 09/12/11 12:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I would have tentatively gone with Pilosocereus azureus (syn. lots of others) until it matures some more.
I think T. poco has a globular stage like T. terscheckii?

--------------------

|| Lophophora Growers Unite! || Trichocereus Growers Unite! || Stone Eaters - A Soil Revolution ||

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#15067244 - 09/12/11 12:59 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I have two Pilocereus azureus cactis and they are about same size. I notice the difference of these cactis. pilocereus azureus have spine colour and top of the cactus different than these new cactis.

Also pilocereus azureus cactus spines are easily moving and have not so big resistance if tryin to move the spines.. but these cactis what I have in picture have very sharp and needle like spines what is almost hard to move... And pilocereus azureus do not grow any hairs from top of the cactus like these what I buyed. :rolleyes:

I don't even think these cactis have anything special but it bothers me that I dont know actually what species this might be.

I found this kind of text from T. Poco cactus:
"Trichocereus poco is a South American columnar cactus species from Bolivia. Also called Echinopsis tarijensis ssp. totorensis or Helianthocereus poco" ...But I dont know that for sure.. :tongue2:

I take some pics to you to compare p. azureus to one of my new cactus. Huge difference of these cactis are that these my new cactis have spines very hardly to move and on top of cactus there are clearly seen hairs. I don't know do pictures show it cause I have taken them with my phone.

Pilocereus azureus and my new cactus next to eachother:

My new cactus from the top:

Pilocereus azureus from the top:

One of my hairy pilocereus, this have very small amount of spines, just posting this too cause cactis what I buyed makes hairs at top from aeroles but its not that cactus what is in the picture(my new cactis makes same kind of hairs from aeroles):

Cactus I buyed from side:

Pilocereus azureus from side:

I see difference to pilocereus azureus. Afaik p. azureus do not make any white hairs from aeroles what cactis I buyed does..

Or can cactis be so much difference at that age that colour of spines and so on are so radically different? I tink my cactis are some species of pilocereus, but im sure it't not p. azureus cactus. :confused:

..Somekind of piolocereus these cactis must be but Im just wondering what of this species it is.. Only for sure is only to wait until it grows and see do these cactis makes more ribs when they getting older and what they look like in future.. :tongue2:

Edited by intelligentlife (09/12/11 01:20 PM)

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#15072214 - 09/13/11 12:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Well, P. azureus is a syn. of Pilosocereus pachycladus along with :

Pseudopilocereus pachycladus, Pseudopilocereus azureus, Pilosocereus atroflavispinus, Pseudopilocereus atroflavispinus, Pilosocereus oreus, Pseudopilocereus oreus, Pilosocereus pemambucoensis, Pseudopilocereus pernambucoensis, Pilosocereus splendidus, Pseudopilocereus spendidus, Pilosocereus superbus, Pseudopilocereus superbus, Pilosocereus cyaneus, Pilosocereus cenepequei, Pilosocereus schoebelii

Just searching google images for azureus pics shows a variation in form, which is why if they were mine I would label azureus or pachycladus until they have matured more and show adult features.
Rib count can increase with age, or decrease in times of stress. Stem colour and spine strength will be affected by growing environment but I don't know to what degree within this genus. Not one I am too knowledgable on, just trying to assist and learning as I go :grin:

Here is a few pics of others claimed to be azureus/pachycladus.

Nice collection btw, get some more pics up! :smile:

--------------------

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#15072881 - 09/13/11 02:47 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ok. Here is some pictures from my collection.

I have lost many cactis at last winter to rot and bugs but I have still all kind of cactis what I collect. I don't know all species by the name. At the moment I'm tryin to root very very small trichos. Pachanoi, Bridgesii, Peruvians and so on. Some of them have started to root in small pot. Some of them are saved from rot caused by bugs and so on.. Take a look and name cacti what you know. I don't know all cactis.

There are some species and pictures what I have never shown here:

Trichocereus Schickendanzii

Parodia Magnificus

T. Peruvians with two pups and small t. bridgesii. I have taken cutting from both. Cacti from backround are some psiolocereus species I think. Then at the backround can see t. pachanoi and peruvianus what I have taken cutting too. They are not yet started to grow new pups. I hope they make more than one head. Nature will show what happens.. :crazy2:

Maybe mamillaria?

Two random trichocereus cactis.

I don't remember what species these are but looks cool. :tongue2:

Green and blue coloured T. Pachanoi cuttings rooting.

Cutting testing. Some of them have starts to make roots. Others are less than one inch tall! Saved from rotting trichocereus cactis.

T. Schickendanzii, P. Magnificus, Some mammillaria and something from littlebit distance.

Some mammillaria and round shaped cactus. Mammillaria have been flowered with purple flowers.

I just don't remember what species this is, have forgot it. But is cool and quite common cactus.. :smirk:

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (09/13/11 02:51 PM)

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#15073018 - 09/13/11 03:17 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

:awesome: thanks for sharing :grin:

I can suggest a few possible/partial id's.

Quote:

intelligentlife said:
Maybe mamillaria?

Mammillaria matudae

Quote:

intelligentlife said:I don't remember what species these are but looks cool. :tongue2:

Coryphantha on the left, maybe a Ferocactus on the right?

Quote:

intelligentlife said:Some mammillaria and round shaped cactus. Mammillaria have been flowered with purple flowers.

I keep thinking Matacuna Polzii but then I think no it's a Gymnocalycium :confused:

Quote:

intelligentlife said:I just don't remember what species this is, have forgot it. But is cool and quite common cactus.. :smirk:

Stenocereus pruinosus?

--------------------

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#15073660 - 09/13/11 05:23 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

What you said that one round shaped cactus:
"I keep thinking Matacuna Polzii but then I think no it's a Gymnocalycium "

..from pictures what I found with google I think is somekind of Matacuna species.

Many pictures from google with words "Matacuna Polzii" I see many clustering cactis and my cacti do not have maken clusters but it's closer to Matacuna than Gymnocalycium to me.. I don't know.

Maybe it's make surprise to me and start making clusters, thats a real wonder I wanna see :crazy2:

--------------------

OfflineOboy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
    #15073776 - 09/13/11 05:44 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Very nice collection you've got going there! Really like that T.schickendanzii, and that M.matudae is really beautiful. It almost looks man made with it's symmetric formation.

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Re: Interesting but unknown cacti to me, ID please. :) [Re: Oboy]
    #15073820 - 09/13/11 05:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ye the one is kinda trippy look :sun:

I just hope that some of these cactis someday make flowers and then hope i have camera at the moment :smile:

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (09/13/11 05:57 PM)

OfflineOboy
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sweden Flag
    #15073867 - 09/13/11 06:04 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah i hope so to! It's a wonderful thing to happen, and im sure it will. Good luck in the future! :smile:

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#15073929 - 09/13/11 06:15 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Yay I found what cacti that one is. I googled Notocactus Ottonis named cactus and color, spines and others are just similar to cactus what I have.

Im pretty sure the left cactus is Notocactus Ottonis?

--------------------

wyrd bið ful aræd
Male User Gallery

#15076594 - 09/14/11 07:00 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

intelligentlife said:

A strong candidate :thumbup: Got any flower shots?

--------------------

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

#15077888 - 09/14/11 02:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mostly_Harmless said:
Quote:

intelligentlife said:

A strong candidate :thumbup: Got any flower shots?

I have somewhere picture from that mammillaria with blooms but I don't atm remember and I am lazy to look it somewhere.

I realized that left side cactus really is Notocactus Ottonis cause I take it off from the pot and get se soil of and found belove soil about four or maybe more "clusters" what called root suckers. :tongue2:

I repotted the cactus and open the roots and let the small colony of root sucker clusters stay at the surface of soil so they should start grown as a new cactus, not actually cluster but this is normal to this cactus. These small clusters what forming from roots have small spines are about 100-150mm round, separated from the original cactus but have same roots as the cactus in the picture.

These littleones have been under the thick soil layer I think year or two. Now cactus have proper soil and some new cluster growing from near the cactus. I found text from internet that this cactus species forms at in good conditions a big colony of cactis from roots to the top..yarr! :crazy2:

I should take picture tomorrow when my growlights are on. Now it's too dark.

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (09/14/11 02:10 PM)

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Tricho species ID if someone know. [Re: intelligentlife]
    #15086101 - 09/16/11 08:27 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Ok. I have two kinda fatty trichocereus cactis, spines are on top of plant someway like honey coloured. I know they are just young cactis and maybe not possible to indentifty what trichocereus cactis these are. Difference of others trichocereus cactis like pachanoi, peruvians, bridgesii ect is that the top of the cactis are different and these are fat. Maybe some hybrids? Can someone say what trichocereus makes honey colored spines at the tom from cactus, other spines are white and there are maximun of about four to eight spines from every aerole but mostly about six spines. One spine is longer that others somewhere. If i compare these to t. peruvians the amount of spines and colour are different.:sun:

I know the young cacti indentification are hard cause only adult cactis ID can be sure. But any information what you can have to offer I would like it. I like these my little fatties but its annoying to try to know what trichos these are. I have buyed them as trichocereus and im sure they are trichos but what trichos they are is a mystery to me. They have started to grow more darker green colour of skin that what is in the picture, think the seedlings have been somewhere where is not good light or something.. :tongue2:

Can someone help me?

--------------------

Edited by intelligentlife (09/16/11 08:31 AM)

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Tricho species ID if someone know. [Re: intelligentlife]
    #15088589 - 09/16/11 07:36 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

intelligentlife said:

Ok. I have two kinda fatty trichocereus cactis, spines are on top of plant someway like honey coloured. I know they are just young cactis and maybe not possible to indentifty what trichocereus cactis these are. Difference of others trichocereus cactis like pachanoi, peruvians, bridgesii ect is that the top of the cactis are different and these are fat. Maybe some hybrids? Can someone say what trichocereus makes honey colored spines at the tom from cactus, other spines are white and there are maximun of about four to eight spines from every aerole but mostly about six spines. One spine is longer that others somewhere. If i compare these to t. peruvians the amount of spines and colour are different.:sun:

I know the young cacti indentification are hard cause only adult cactis ID can be sure. But any information what you can have to offer I would like it. I like these my little fatties but its annoying to try to know what trichos these are. I have buyed them as trichocereus and im sure they are trichos but what trichos they are is a mystery to me. They have started to grow more darker green colour of skin that what is in the picture, think the seedlings have been somewhere where is not good light or something.. :tongue2:

Can someone help me?

I can't help you, but I can tell you "cactis" is not a word that I know of."Cactus" is singular while "cacti" is pleural.

And yes, the darkening is a good sign as it means your cacti are producing more chlorophyll.

--------------------
]

Invisiblewanderingmarlin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Zone 10a, 33 N lat, CA US...
Re: Tricho species ID if someone know. [Re: Ieponumos]
    #15089955 - 09/17/11 01:11 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Since the older spines are white (big giveaway) I'd say you have a cuzcoensis or hybrid thereof.  Most likely not active if that's what you're looking for, but a great grafting stock and fun to grow.

--------------------
Trade List

Offlineintelligentlife
Noaidi
 User Gallery

Re: Tricho species ID if someone know. [Re: wanderingmarlin]
    #15099376 - 09/19/11 05:39 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for aswers.

I don't really know how to write right english, but I think you know what I mean about these.

Just thinking is these hybrid trichos what is quite possible. Trichos they are still. Year or two or so on I think I will see better what kind of trichos they are when tey are bigger.

I don't care is it psychedelic active or not, just inteterster what trichocereus these two maybe are. :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflineShamanic Sight
Teacher
Male

Loc: Nothingville, Nowhereland
    #15460424 - 12/03/11 08:19 PM (9 years, 5 months ago)

I have some of the EXACT same cacti, and I was wondering what they were as well. When I bought them they were labeled "Trechocercus bridgesii monstrose"; the -true- monstroses were right next to these, and I wish I had bought those... But I digress. I agree, I think they are, in fact P. azureus.

My cactus looks just like this. I'd say it was the same plant if I didn't have mine in my room. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden