Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHockeymanVT
Stranger
Am I in the wrong group?
    #15063010 - 09/11/11 04:35 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I am wanting to start raising common button mushrooms. I am NOT a kit fan .  I love building equipment and using my local resources. I think these boards are not the place for Agaricus mushroom questions. Am I right?  Can you point me in a better direction?

Thx

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEl Douche
El Douchius Maximus

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Drippin Outa Da Vag Flag
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: HockeymanVT] * 2
    #15063078 - 09/11/11 04:51 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

You are not going to find a better site than this for growing edible mushrooms. The help and ideas are better hear, the people are helpful and knowledgeable.

Gourmet mushrooms and the gardening sections are why I come here (I don't grow anything illegal). There are a lot of original ideas from freethinking people without the pretentious douchebaggery and advertisements of other sites.

--------------------
I'm The Douche, Doucher, His Royal Doucheness, or El Doucherino if you are not into that whole brevity thing.

Trade List : Wanted/have edible cultures, ethobotanicals, cool plants, cacti.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: El Douche]
    #15063216 - 09/11/11 05:24 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

There does seem to be a bias against the agaricus industry, among alternative mushroom growers, IMHO it would proabally be the nasty chemicals they use in their process and the health hazards they pose, not to mention the cancer causing element inherent in the mushroom itself. There are many Mainstream cultivators who have a real chip on their shoulder for anyone who might consider cubensis a divine gift to man, SO I would say that you are most welcome, just remember that there are a bunch of folks who are of the, ALT.mycology.mindset, and if cubies offend you in any way,,,,,

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

:aliendance::aliendance::wicca::aliendance::aliendance::pipesmoke:

OfflineHockeymanVT
Stranger
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: mycoelf]
    #15063349 - 09/11/11 05:55 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I have no problem with ALT.(almost)* but I am mostly looking for a good meal that I can cultivate relatively easily. I grow meat rabbits and am looking to use their waste along with my large colony of compost worms to grow mushrooms.  I am not wedded to  agaricus but want something productive.  I have a forest of trees including hop hornbeam (ironwood) but had little success with my first attempt at shiitake. I am more than willing to learn something new.

Invisiblehiggledy-piggledy
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: HockeymanVT]
    #15063728 - 09/11/11 07:16 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

there are a lot of cultivatable mushrooms, which have a higher gourmet value than the common white button mushroom.

you can buy them in nearly every supermarket low priced.

i would try some sort of oyster mushrooms; they grow almost on every substrate.

:mushroomgrow:

Edited by higgledy-piggledy (10/25/11 05:19 PM)

Offlineb3jamboree
yes we have no portabellas
Male

Loc: 45th Parallel, MI
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: higgledy-piggledy]
    #15064467 - 09/11/11 09:48 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

A little guy trying to break into the agaricus market islikely to have a hard time. You are competing with literal mushroom cartels. The agaricus business is so huge and relatively centralized it is very difficult trying to sell for the going rate and still meet your expenses.

Offlinecurry
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: b3jamboree]
    #15064527 - 09/11/11 10:02 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I love portebella mushrooms, but since they're so cheap at the store, I haven't wanted to grow them.  However, I've grown king oyster, blue oyster, shitake, and reishi, and those are harder to find, so I'm glad I didn't mess with buttons or portebella.  I know you're interested in manure-lovers vs. woodlovers... but most people don't mess with the manure-lovers because they're so cheap and available... but I wish you luck in growing them if you do.

OfflineHockeymanVT
Stranger
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: curry]
    #15077680 - 09/14/11 01:26 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I understand the cost issue but the difference is that it is MY manure. ;-) (or my rabbits'). I am just trying to get as complete a benefit from them and their meat as possible. It makes no sense to boil our own maple syrup but somehow it just is more satisfying.  I am about to start the compost pile this afternoon.  Can anyone make any recommendations on where I can get the appropriate spores?  Can I use 1/2 the spores and store the rest if they don't take?

OfflineEl Douche
El Douchius Maximus

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Drippin Outa Da Vag Flag
    #15077781 - 09/14/11 01:48 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
I'm The Douche, Doucher, His Royal Doucheness, or El Doucherino if you are not into that whole brevity thing.

Trade List : Wanted/have edible cultures, ethobotanicals, cool plants, cacti.

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Berlin Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #15077809 - 09/14/11 01:54 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Sure, I would do the same. You might get a large button mushroom kit and when the pile cooled down, you break up the colonized substrate into walnut sized chunks and inoculate with them. But try to keep your worms away from it.

Carsten

Offlinetrout
Flyfisherman
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: Mycelio]
    #15089015 - 09/16/11 09:21 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

The problem with button mushrooms is the need to make the compost for them.  They are picky about their compost and many of the other more interesting mushrooms like an easier to obtain substrate.  Why are they more interesting?  Well they are not the "common button mushroom" so they are more interesting to me. Better? Not really just different than main stream.  There is a lot of information on making compost for button mushrooms and if that is your desire then they should be relatively easy to grow.  As for spawn you can make spawn just like most do here for any of the edibles and then spawn to your finished compost.  A little searching will get you information you need and then follow up here with your questions and I am sure someone will be able to answer even if buttons are not the most discussed species here.  Good luck and enjoy.

Trout

--------------------
I need tropical cultures, ABM, V.v....!!!!

Well things don't always look as they are and things can be misread and mistaken for what they realy are so don't read too much into what I say since I might be mistaken myself. And remember I rarely ever give a definate answer.

Offlinejohn-hai
oyster lover
Male

Loc: san jose ca
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: trout]
    #15089335 - 09/16/11 10:45 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

i would start with a store bought tissue clone then to grain spawn and finally to your compost.  that how i got started with oyster.  most of my first oyster were store bought that i clone then grow out to fruit.  i have not done any button, but i am sure you can do it. if there is any thing you don't know try looking it up on the forum or post a question.

good luck john

--------------------
3 rules i use to grow mushroom

#1  local material

#2  recycle when possible

#3  make it simple

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: john-hai]
    #15103294 - 09/19/11 10:46 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Buttons are GMO and the spawn is stretched so far that a clone from a commercial agaricus would be close to senescence on the first transfer, IMHO try one of the cool portabellos, they are way tasty and they actually prevent cancer instead of cause it

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

InvisibleHorizonSpawn
Gettin' my grow on :)
Male

Loc: Myco-Tek.org Flag
    #15103379 - 09/19/11 11:05 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mycoelf said:
Buttons are GMO and the spawn is stretched so far that a clone from a commercial agaricus would be close to senescence on the first transfer, IMHO try one of the cool portabellos, they are way tasty and they actually prevent cancer instead of cause it

I'm a noobernaut, I don't deny it; BUT...  I thought "button" mushrooms and portabellos were of the same genus and species???

--------------------
Please assume any and all prints exchanged are "WILD" in nature; and thus, should NOT be considered ASEPTIC...

NOTE:  Please excuse my brevity, as it is a bitch 'n' a half and slow as hell to type on this here phone :frown:

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Am I in the wrong group? [Re: HorizonSpawn]
    #15104201 - 09/20/11 01:53 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly, two names for the same species. I wish somebody would read what the OP writes before posting. The nonsense to information ratio is pretty high here...

Carsten

Edited by Mycelio (09/20/11 02:08 AM)

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#15110881 - 09/21/11 10:46 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

sorry to throw a stick in the wicket here, but i was thinking of Agaricus blazei, as pictured in GGMM on page 263, as opposed to brunnescens, on the next page,,,,,,

*wishing folks would not be so quick to chime in about bad info when in fact they themselves are working under assumptions*:facepalm::bow2:

--------------------
Mycoelf

OfflineMycelio
Stranger
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #15111039 - 09/21/11 11:40 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

OK, this also explains your earlier remark about cancer. Agaricus subrufescens/brasiliensis/blazei definitely belongs to the large, yellow staining species, containing agaritine, but it will be destroyed by cooking and there are still other anti cancer compounds, which should act much stronger anyway.

Cheers, Carsten

OfflineHockeymanVT
Stranger
    #15229294 - 10/15/11 02:02 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Hey folks,

I am gathering my culture stuff getting ready to start culturing.  I am going  to use a spare fridge as a growth chamber.  My molecular-bio son has given me some tips on sterile technique and I am just waiting for a few more things.  I think I WILL start with Portabello using a fresh one from the store. I AM confused as to whether this is just an old button mushroom or if it is a separate strain.  Just an unsolicited word of advice from an old man - don't take yourselves too seriously ... it is just supposed to be fun.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#15242354 - 10/18/11 11:46 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Good luck with you clone hockeyman, as I have read the expansion of the myc is so large in commercial agaricus industry a clone from the end fruit is near senescence, or genetic exhaustion, however there are many strains of agariucs floating around, maybe try market place or one of the sponsors for a good strain :goodluck:

--------------------
Mycoelf

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms