Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
bluing mushroom in sydney, australia.
    #1506246 - 04/29/03 10:36 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hey, can someone help with this ID?

i've got photo's coming, just need to get them from my friend, so i'll post them  as soon as i get them... but for now i'll post a short description.

from what i've read on hunting for psilocybe subaeruginosa in australia, i gathered that anything i find growing in woodchips/eucalypt mulch that has gills and bruises blue is active. however, i'm rather sceptical on this find. (gill colour is yellow? and it bruises blue almost instantly, the blue bruising kinda fades a bit after a little while, lightbrown stem)

it is visually very similar to photos of p.australiana i've seen on several websites, the top of the cap is a light brown becoming lighter towards the edges. it is slightly umbo. the gills are a distinct yellow and attached to the stem. the stem is light brown, not hollow, lighter/whiter inside and i'm having trouble bruising it while the gills bruised blue easily. the stem becomes thicker towards the bottom and then tapers thin again right at the bottom. the gills are crowded.

sorry for my poor descriptive skills, im a bit of a newbie! and as i said, photos are coming!

i'm currently taking a spore print so i'll get that information here ASAP :smile:

cheers,
jimbu 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: jimbu]
    #1506282 - 04/29/03 10:49 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Is it possible that this is what you're describing? Phylloporus rhodoxanthus often have gills which bruise easily, but not the rest of the mushroom.

A couple things you can check for: Are the gills crossveined or forked, possibly to the point where the gills near the stem are becoming like tubes? Do the gills peel from the underside of the cap like the tube of a bolete do?

Anyway, try checking out their description of that species and see if it fits your specimen. And let us know, too.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1506418 - 04/29/03 11:42 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

cheers toxicman! there is every chance that they are what i have found. the cross-section looks very much the same as that of my mushrooms. i'll post the pics anyways when i get them :smile:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1506796 - 04/30/03 04:12 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Ill be interested to see what it is, as if it looks anything like that gilled bolete, then it aint australiana. What colour was the spore print?

--------------------

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
    #1507075 - 04/30/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

theres a photo... i'm pretty much positive it's a bolete now!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1507249 - 04/30/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Very interesting. Here is a Psilocybe below with light gills and some bluing in the gills. But not Yellow.

The gills are actually similar in color to young imature spores of P. cyanescens. Boletus have spongy bottoms and are very large. Here is a P. cyanesens with light colored gills.

mj

I put your image in photoshop and corrected the color.

Still looks psilocybian to me. And it appears to be Psilocybe. I could be wrong.

Edited by mjshroomer (04/30/03 10:29 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1507266 - 04/30/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

How about a photo image of the other cap tuned over

mj

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1508398 - 04/30/03 04:24 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

its not a bolete its a Phylloporus rhodoxanthus its closely related to a bolete except it forms gills not pores.  some of the gills get so close that they make pores.  look at the link that toxic gave they look pretty much the same.  i got to go with toxic on this one.  :smile:  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: blaze2]
    #1508989 - 04/30/03 07:55 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

the shape of my mushroom is very very similar to that of the 2nd photo on the website ToxicMan posted, and the cross-section very closely resembles that in the 1st photo. i'm fairly positive this is a 'gilled bolete', the stems on my specimens seemed impossible to bruise blue, they went a dirty browney colour instead. the blue bruising on the gills was instantaneous and faded over time.

sorry mj, i didn't get a photo of the other cap turned over (i quickly popped over to use a friends digicam!).

just my luck to be looking for actives and find the ONE thing that bruises blue, has gills and grows in woodchips in australia but isn't active :tongue:

cheers for the replies guys :smile:

happy hunting,
jimbu

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1509379 - 04/30/03 09:47 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I'd have to agree with toxicman, looks like a gilled bolete to me.

Come on, mj, you've never heard of a gilled bolete?

Sheesh.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: Gumby]
    #1509430 - 04/30/03 09:57 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

between the gill color and attachment alone i'd say it isn't a psilocybe and it does look like a gilled bolete.

as an aside: is it just me, or do the stipes in that pic look like they belong to two different mushrooms?

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
    #1509771 - 04/30/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

couple more photos i just got sent by my friend taken from different angles :smile:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1509777 - 04/30/03 11:39 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

ok, nvermind about that last part.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1510390 - 05/01/03 03:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Id almost swear from the photo that it is an uplifted psilocybe, but its hard to say - id need to know the colour of the spore print.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#1510392 - 05/01/03 03:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Actually upon examination id say that the gills are all wrong for a psilo.

--------------------

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Re: bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1510592 - 05/01/03 07:23 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i made a spore print for about an hour (so didnt get much) before chucking them. it appeared to be yellowish so i'd say it's a gilled bolete

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1511352 - 05/01/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

from my limited knowledge: a gilled bolete or an australian ally, blablabla, which is edible and very good fried in oil and topped with salt, much like Lactarius deterrimus (http://www.first-nature.com/fungi/id_guide/russulaceae/lactarius_deterrimus.htm)!
if your sure, tell us how it tasted

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck