Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Amazon Grateful Dead, Paul Stamets, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineConnoisseur

Shrooms in the 1960s
    #15059700 - 09/10/11 10:06 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

So ive always wondered people used to use a lot of LSD and mescaline back in the 60s but ive never heard any accounts of mushroom usage except from timothy leary in the early days. Im assuming people didnt know how to cultivate them really yet? Whats the deal?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblelar20
Strange guy in a park
Male User Gallery

Loc: massachusetts
Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: Connoisseur]
    #15059714 - 09/10/11 10:09 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

they were used. the grateful dead were known for taking them a lot. they just werent as popular as lucy i suppose.

--------------------

OfflineConnoisseur

Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: lar20]
    #15059727 - 09/10/11 10:11 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Anyone know what types of strains where common back then?

OfflineFronnis
I'm a teapot

#15059806 - 09/10/11 10:29 PM (9 years, 7 months ago)

It was only during the 70's that people realized Psilocybin mushrooms were so widespread. My Dad remembered when he first heard of them during the 70's, where him and his mates would go out into his fields early in the morning looking for nipple shaped mushrooms, with the idea that the mushrooms shrunk back into the ground during the day, and he still to this day believes they do xD.

--------------------

Edited by Fronnis (09/10/11 10:30 PM)

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: Fronnis]
    #15060406 - 09/11/11 12:47 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

I hunted and used liberty caps in the 1970's in Oregon. Many of us did... Was common in use on campus... Had a friend who took 6 dry oz back east to share, heard it rocked their world... Never had such strong mushrooms

Liberty caps were about the only good mushroom we had..'cyans had not yet spread far and wide yet... Baeos were around...but rare.  Cubes were known about, but not where we lived in the northwest... Were told they were a south western mushroom...

Washington was the nexus of wild mushrooms from what we heard... But our information was word of mouth... A few books could be had but information was slim...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Invisibleotherwhitemeat
Female User Gallery
Loc: Florida
Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: HarryL]
    #15060532 - 09/11/11 01:12 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
I hunted and used liberty caps in the 1970's in Oregon. Many of us did... Was common in use on campus... Had a friend who took 6 dry oz back east to share, heard it rocked their world... Never had such strong mushrooms

Liberty caps were about the only good mushroom we had..'cyans had not yet spread far and wide yet... Baeos were around...but rare.  Cubes were known about, but not where we lived in the northwest... Were told they were a south western mushroom...

Washington was the nexus of wild mushrooms from what we heard... But our information was word of mouth... A few books could be had but information was slim...

This is why the internet rocks. No wonder Leary in his last days touted the internet as "the LSD of the '90s."

So you've been using for 40-ish years and you can still type HarryL? Outstanding!

Fascinating that cyans weren't widespread. At what point would you say they overtook libs as the most common PNW type?

InvisibleHan Jeremy
sense clarification technician
 User Gallery

Loc: the grass ain't greener, ...
    #15060574 - 09/11/11 01:23 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:

i've never had liberty caps, how do they compare to psilocybe cyanescens? anyone?

--------------------
:psychsplit: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::psychsplit:

Bodies in simultaneous movement, spontaneous in their structure, bind with the spirits of the yesteryear. Praise the gift, blend within the wind, and become one with the universe.

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: otherwhitemeat]
    #15060625 - 09/11/11 01:35 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Cyans are aggressive and their spread has been the result of human spreading them... College students... Shroomerites... Probably see ovoids do the same... Maybe azures...

I think the 1990's cyans became more common... But we have benefited from staments knowledge and books....The Internet... Wow... Yes, huge influence...'Shroomery is more than just a place for sharing info which was not available 20 years ago... Many of the mushroms found today are the result of friendly folks who like to spread the love!

There are probably a half dozen or more now that can be found commonly around human habitats... With some 180 known...

And it's incredible to see people in so many country finding mushrooms. Reading threads from Europe,'Asia, and Australia.. Not to mention our friends to the south in central and south America...

Liberty caps are more potent (on a mass basis) than cyans... They are a smaller mushroom though

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
    #15060634 - 09/11/11 01:37 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Grace Slick took mushrooms in the 60s, so some amount was around.

InvisibleHan Jeremy
sense clarification technician
 User Gallery

Loc: the grass ain't greener, ...
    #15060690 - 09/11/11 01:51 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
Cyans are aggressive and their spread has been the result of human spreading them... College students... Shroomerites... Probably see ovoids do the same... Maybe azures...

I think the 1990's cyans became more common... But we have benefited from staments knowledge and books....The Internet... Wow... Yes, huge influence...'Shroomery is more than just a place for sharing info which was not available 20 years ago... Many of the mushroms found today are the result of friendly folks who like to spread the love!

There are probably a half dozen or more now that can be found commonly around human habitats... With some 180 known...

And it's incredible to see people in so many country finding mushrooms. Reading threads from Europe,'Asia, and Australia.. Not to mention our friends to the south in central and south America...

Liberty caps are more potent (on a mass basis) than cyans... They are a smaller mushroom though

that's funny you say the ps cyans became more common in the 90's, because that's exactly when i first experienced them, around 93 i think. i don't know why this happens, but with cyans i have had contact with "the other" and met other archetypes of my unconcious.  cubensis doesn't usually do this for me, even in higher doses. i wonder why one does and the other doesn't(yet at least).

--------------------
:psychsplit: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::amanita2: :dancingbear::psychsplit:

Bodies in simultaneous movement, spontaneous in their structure, bind with the spirits of the yesteryear. Praise the gift, blend within the wind, and become one with the universe.

Invisiblecalicyco

Re: Shrooms in the 1960s [Re: Han Jeremy]
    #15060808 - 09/11/11 02:27 AM (9 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Han Jeremy said:
that's funny you say the ps cyans became more common in the 90's, because that's exactly when i first experienced them, around 93 i think. i don't know why this happens, but with cyans i have had contact with "the other" and met other archetypes of my unconcious.  cubensis doesn't usually do this for me, even in higher doses. i wonder why one does and the other doesn't(yet at least).

Your answer is right there. You have noticed that it didn't do something, so you believe there is a difference. Hence, you see a difference.

Its partially in your head. Its partially in everyones head who takes psychedelics. They have preconceived notions, and those have influence on the experience (the "set" part of "set and setting".)

If you have ps cyans, and cubies, try this: Powder them, and put the same quantity into identical bags. Now mix those bags up and choose one at random. The only down side to this is the differing potency potential, however a lot of that is also in the mind of the user (1 gram of cubies one day could be mind blower, the next time it takes 3 grams and its a mild trip, etc.) If you don't know which is which, I bet you have a similar experience on both.

Getting back to wider spread of these varieties, I remember Stamets mentioning that you should spore print a hat you wear regularly. The spores drift off and spreads the love. I'm sure humans have had a great influence on this, as people picked something, sent it to friends, who ate them in far away places. Those spores get out into the environment, and slowly it spreads.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Amazon Grateful Dead, Paul Stamets, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience