Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Urgent rooting help needed
    #15058008 - 09/10/11 03:01 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I received some Kanna and Delosperma bosseranum cuttings in the mail yesterday. They were small, and in pretty bad shape but the sender assured me they'd root just fine. So I potted them in a well draining, moist mix of cactus soil, perlite, sand and gravel.

Today, the Kanna:

One of them, in the lower right corner, is being very convincingly dead.

The largest cutting of the Kanna looks to be not far behind, it is limp and lifeless:

I desperately need some help in saving this 2" critter. Does anyone have advice in rooting small Kanna cuttings?

The Delosperma bosseranum remains to be seen if they'll root, but they're also all about 2" or less:

I'd be incredibly sad if the Kanna and Delosperma all die. PLEASE HELP!

The only thing making me feel better right now is the big and healthy looking pereskiopsis cutting I received today, which I am eager to root:

Any advice on this would be appreciated too, though from what I have researched they root easily.

--------------------
:crazy2: SWEET POTATO HOME FRIES :crazy2:
:mushroom2:HOW TO USE A PENIS ENVY SPORE SWAB:mushroom2:

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: SKrink]
    #15058031 - 09/10/11 03:10 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I dont know much about the first two however the Delosperma doesnt look bad it should recover, the Kanna might recover but will take longer. If the pereskiopsis is calloused remove the bottom 2-3 leaves and plant give it a light watering and wait for a while to water again mine took about 1 week to recover but they had roots i read it can take 3 weeks for a cutting to root and recover

--------------------
Vegetation has crawled for miles towards the cities. It is waiting. Once the city is dead, the vegetation will cover it, will climb over the stones, grip them, search them, make them burst with its long black pincers; it will blind the holes and let its green paws hang over everything.
—Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #15058056 - 09/10/11 03:17 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

What did you root your Pereskiopsis in?
I was going to try some in straight water, some in a vermiculite+sand+perlite mix, and some in straight cactus soil, all moistened to field capacity.

--------------------

... Oh mighty masticator, salivator, vocalizer, swallower, licker biter sucker brow-knitter looker blinker rubbernecker thumber prodder up-yours fingerer ringwearer nosepicker waver drinker armlifter bodybender hipswiveler kneer springer runner ZERO::::::::OOOOOOOOO:::::::: RUN!!!

InvisibleChemical Addiction
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #15058091 - 09/10/11 03:25 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

i was told vermiculite sticks to roots and rots them, make sure you wash the sand well or the small particles will bind and become like a rock (difficult for the roots to grow in), i have very low humidity where i live so i can get away with some organic matter, i use a 60/40 mix of perlite/cactus soil, however if you fertilize your cacti every other watering you might want to add some coco coir or other substrate that has no nutrients of its own, if you have a hydroponics shop near you they will have something like that.

--------------------
Vegetation has crawled for miles towards the cities. It is waiting. Once the city is dead, the vegetation will cover it, will climb over the stones, grip them, search them, make them burst with its long black pincers; it will blind the holes and let its green paws hang over everything.
—Jean-Paul Sartre, Nausea

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: Chemical Addiction]
    #15058420 - 09/10/11 04:48 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

With pereskiopsis I have been getting pretty good results with cactus soil with a bit of bone meal. I know peat is supposed to be bad for many cactus species but the pereskiopsis seems to do fine in a peat heavy mix. Rooting seems to be pretty foolproof unless the cutting is so tiny that it dries out, 2" cuts generally seem to be big enough to survive but 4-6" cuts probably get established quicker. I haven't had any problems planting them fresh cut personally. Established plants are pretty hard to kill but they seem to grow fastest with fairly high humidity.

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: psi]
    #15058939 - 09/10/11 07:06 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

I got a 1/2" cutting to root with my pereskiopsis, you should be good with that, can't help much with the others.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

OfflineSKrink
KING MOB
 User Gallery

Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: fngbronco]
    #15059225 - 09/10/11 08:21 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

Just planted all the pereskiopsis, 20 of em. fingers crossed.

The Kanna cuttings are the ones I really need help with...

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #15059577 - 09/10/11 09:37 PM (9 years, 8 months ago)

The kanna should be fairly straight forward to root. Stick them in soil and wait it out. Keep the temperatures mild so it doesn't dry while rooting and also out of full sun, shade will do. Misting with water once a day will help keep them hydrated.

Pereskiopsis grows in all types of soils. I find peat based works well and they prefer to be constantly damp throughout the growth season, if they dry out then growth slows.

--------------------

Invisiblerjreynoldsinc
Jack of all trades
Male

#15061086 - 09/11/11 04:46 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

i just got 2 kanna and 2 delosperma aswell as some pereskiopsis rooted cuttings....my kanna and delosperma both dried up and died withou any roos formed...i misted once a day and let the soil dry b4 i watered agian not bone dry but still ready for a watering anyways also the peresliopsis i planted in some jungle growth poing soil do yall think this is sufficient?

InvisibleInfiniteOhms
 User Gallery

Re: Urgent rooting help needed [Re: rjreynoldsinc]
    #15061311 - 09/11/11 07:37 AM (9 years, 8 months ago)

sorry you guys are having such trouble rooting those cuttings, i've got some cuttings rooting now if i need to replace ones that died :frown: Perhaps they are not as easy to root as i thought and i've just had super good luck.:shrug:

--------------------
My trade list ∞Ω Currently open to trades, I have lots of edible/medicinal seeds available.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden